Training with an injury

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

F

firstplacegirl

Is it better to go to the gym and do conditioning and other events that don't involve the injured area or to just stay home and rest?

Unless your doctor says stay home, our gym always has girls go and condition and do events that they can.

It really depends on your coaches and their ability to follow doctors guidelines. In the ideal world you would go to the gym and condition and train whilst following your restrictions. But we all know that some coaches think they have MD after their names and they believe that they know best. A great coach uses the docs advice and comes up with a training plan.

I also think it depends on the person. When my daughter had an injured ankle I was sending her in until her coach finally told me I needed to keep her home. Apparently she was doing things she wasn't supposed to and her ankle was swelling up like a golf ball every time she was there. I ended up keeping her home for about a week and a half and it finally healed. I think maybe younger kids just have a hard time limiting what they work on and want to do what everyone else is doing!!

i think send them in.
but agree with the thing about coaches thinking they should do more and maybe giving them a hard time.
as with everything in gym ITS HARD!
in in and do as doc says while communicating this with coaches is the ideal imo

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

I was on injury, I stayed home until I got the OK from my doctor and now I'm conditioning, bars and a little bit of beam :) I would say follow your doctor's advice but if you're up to it, go condition and ALWAYS listen to your body when it's telling you about pain! Good luck :)

It depends on the gymnast's level and where the injury is. For a younger girl it won't matter as much to be out of the gym for a couple weeks, but for an older girl being out for not even 2 weeks can weaken your skills. Hopefully it's not too bad of an injury!

Whatever the doctor says. There are both schools of thought and I know my dd knows which doctor wants her to go to practice and which doctor will put a cast on it to prevent her from hurting herself more. From observation, I think the doctors that send her to some practice to keep her skills up and her muscles working have had the most success- but it's still whatever the doctor says.

It really depends on your coaches and their ability to follow doctors guidelines. In the ideal world you would go to the gym and condition and train whilst following your restrictions. But we all know that some coaches think they have MD after their names and they believe that they know best. A great coach uses the docs advice and comes up with a training plan.

that ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^:)

At our gym, the coach comes up with a training program based on the injury and what the doctor says. The training program will consist of a lot of conditioning that doesn't use the part of the body injured. The gymnast will not be allowed to return to full workouts until she brings in a release letter from the doctor allowing her to return to full activities.

Currently we have one gymnast who injured her back dismounting on bars. Her parents for whatever reason, thought that they won't bother with the doctor and just have her rest for a while. The coach will NOT allow her back in the gym until she's been to the doctor and evaluated and returns with the doctor's permission allowing her to practice.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back