WAG Tumbling out of a RO instead of ROBHS

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

All Chalked Up

Coach
Gymnast
My coach wants me to begin tumbling out of roundoffs (which I have never done) instead of roundoff back handspring.

I had some problems with chin throwing and not setting for the BT which are two issues I've never had when tumbling out of ROBHS- I think I'm throwing the back tuck like a back handspring.

What are some tips on tumbling out of just roundoff? My coach wants me to be tumbling a good FT-RO-BT, a good RO-BT and a good RO-BLO at the very least for the beginning of April.

I also don't receive feedback or spots at practice so I am basically on my own. Any advice would be appreciated!

The problem could be that you are snapping your feet under too much in the round off like you would into a back flip. If you drill a round off straight jump up onto a raised surface like a stack of crash mats like you might of done from the back flip when learning the bh bt this should help you with a more vertical takeoff position.

Try putting your hands wider in your roundoff. This should cause the roundoff to land shorter, popping you upward instead of backward.

(Only do this when you're flipping out of the roundoff, not when you're doing backhandsprings)

Thank you! I will ROBHS- flip anything, but having trouble with RO-flip. I'll keep these in mind when I train tomorrow and report back!

I'm gonna guess you're running 3/4 the way from one corner to the other before hurdling into the round off. If you already have a robhsbt, you'll probably be able to make a robt from a run of 2,3, or 4 steps. So if you feel safe with the idea of a short run into the skill, you'll find that going slower gives you a better chance to lean the positions you need for the robt.

Figure out how short you can safely make your run, and do 5 "short run" passes of the robt......

If you "get it" by the third one you can try adding two steps to your run for your sixth pass. Follow that with a set of 4 short run passes and 2 passes with the two extra steps. Follow that with 3 of each...... and then call it a day.

If you don't get it by the third pass just do all 6 with the short run, and then go do something else for a bit of time before working on your second set of 6. Only add steps when you've shown yourself you can do the short run with success.

I'm gonna guess you're running 3/4 the way from one corner to the other before hurdling into the round off. If you already have a robhsbt, you'll probably be able to make a robt from a run of 2,3, or 4 steps. So if you feel safe with the idea of a short run into the skill, you'll find that going slower gives you a better chance to lean the positions you need for the robt.

Figure out how short you can safely make your run, and do 5 "short run" passes of the robt......

If you "get it" by the third one you can try adding two steps to your run for your sixth pass. Follow that with a set of 4 short run passes and 2 passes with the two extra steps. Follow that with 3 of each...... and then call it a day.

If you don't get it by the third pass just do all 6 with the short run, and then go do something else for a bit of time before working on your second set of 6. Only add steps when you've shown yourself you can do the short run with success.
I'm actually teaching myself this out of a step & power hurdle on the floor, and with two steps & hurdle using a wedge mat and a crash mat. Good to know for future reference though!

Throw everthing (drills) including the kitchen sink. Work a drill for 5 minutes and move on to a different one. When you've gone through everything choose the one that helps the most. try every thing from a bhs step out to power hurdle into the round off with your hands placed on a single layer of a fold up mat.... and reverse that vone by nfinishing your round off on a single (or 2) layers of the fold up. There is no such thing as a waste of time when trying different drills, as you learn something, good or bad, with each one. just be careful and check in with the coach to get an ok on each drill idea.

It's not a matter of being able, as much as it is having the imagination and patience to try different things until one helps you get the change you want.

It sounds like you may just have too good of a round-off. I'd go with the posts that get you to rotate the round-off less so you have a better take-off angle. Wider arms and less of a lunge should help

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back