Twisting Layout

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

AlexsGymmyMom

Proud Parent
My DD is just starting to master her RO BHS BLO but she is having a problem with her body wanting to start twisting. She feels it starting and then has to compensate. She told me it kindof scared her a little. Any idea why this may be happening?

Do you have a video?

EDIT: Can she do a correct layout on a trampoline (not tumble track) without this happening?

Last edited:
My first guess would be something in the round-off, but like JBS, I would like to see it.
Is she feeling the twisting on the first half or the second half of the layout? Is it happening before the arms pull down, during the pull, or after the pull?
The answer to these could help verify if it is in fact the RO, and that would still be my first guess.

Do you have a video?

EDIT: Can she do a correct layout on a trampoline (not tumble track) without this happening?

I don't have a video yet but can probably get one of her at open gym Saturday. She can do a very good layout on tramp without any twist.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have a video yet but can probably get one of her at open gym Saturday. She can do a very good layout on tramp without any twist.

If she is able to do a correct layout on tramp...I would also guess that the twist is coming from the round off.

yes, that would be the culprit. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Awww, I got here too late. The other coaches already found out the problem lol...

Some things that you could look for...

First:
Her lunge/hurdle might be cross-stepping.
Let's hypothetically say your DD is right footed. Her strong/lunge foot is her right one. In her hurdle, she takes her forward/strong foot and crosses her midline (imagine there is a line on the floor in front of her straight in front of her directly centered) in her hurdle. This can cause a slight twist, but usually is more guilty of sending kids off of a straight line tumbling path.

Second:
When your DD does her round off, check to make sure she is not tilting her head up to look at her hands. This can cause her back to arch, and absolutely nothing good can happen then. I'm guessing your DD's coach is a great coach, so its probably neither of these as they're both pretty obvious.

The last and most likely thing I can think of....

It might sound like a very small issue, but your DD could be planting her hands too wide in her roundoff.
This is important because if her hands are planting too wide, they will not leave the ground at the same time. If her right hand leaves the floor faster than her left hand, then the right side of her body is now traveling quicker than her left. This results in rotation.

Also if she is pulling down into the LO faster with one arm than the other.... = rotation (as another above poster stated)

It could also be none of these things. Just throwing some things out to maybe look for :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back