Parents Two Seasons?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

alsmom

Proud Parent
I have read several times on CB that some gyms compete more that one season(fall and spring) each year. Are there gyms in each region that do this? It seems that it would give gymnasts an advantage when it comes to progressing through the levels. Is that the case?

It is pretty common here. There are a few gyms that only compete one or the other, but most do both.

I don't think it gives an advantage in moving up in levels. If anything, you spend more time practicing routines instead of just uptraining. The one gym near us that only competes fall for compulsories seems to move up girls one level a year for the most part.

It also gives girls who aren't ready by fall season a chance to compete in spring if they weren't ready by fall.

Some gyms use spring as a tester season, so girls do spring in new level, then train all summer same level and they rock states. Then new level in spring again if they are ready.

Basically just different gym philosophies at play.

My daughter started competing at 6 and has repeated levels 4 and 5, and is doing 7 again this year as an 11 year old. She always competed in fall and spring meets, though not always a full season of one or the other.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

most gyms around here do that too....it's not really considered "two seasons" or "fall and spring season," it's just one LONG season. No real advantage to it, because most gyms don't move kids up a level between fall and spring. Moving up in compulsories is much more common in one state in our region, however, because they have a December state meet rather than a spring meet.

I don't think our region does this with compusories since they are in the fall and finished once States happens. The only time a gymnast could compete fall and spring is to go from compulsory in fall to optional in the spring. Unless I missed something here in NJ lol.

Here it is compulsories in the fall, with State being shortly before Christmas. Optionals are in the winter/spring. Some girls do compulsories in fall then optionals in spring if they are advancing rapidly. There are however meets that include compulsory levels in the winter and spring even though the state meet is over I guess just for fun or for those who weren't ready in the fall. So you can score out of a level, but not do state. Our gym just wants those kids who are ready in the spring to get their feet wet with two or three meets in the spring so they are more confident when the fall hits. If you aren't ready, then you wait till the fall. And the fall hits early. Our Level 4 girls have their mock meet in a week..

I don't think our region does this with compusories since they are in the fall and finished once States happens. The only time a gymnast could compete fall and spring is to go from compulsory in fall to optional in the spring. Unless I missed something here in NJ lol.

This has been my experience as well (NJ). Compulsories start in Sept with States late Jan/early Feb. Our Optionals start Dec and go through May.

We are at a gym that competes both Fall and Spring and personally, I'd prefer just to do one or the other. I see a LOT of time spent on routines and not much time spent on uptraining, at least at the low levels. They have been successful at competitions and they are adamant that competing both seasons in the way to go soooo... we just have to go with the flow, lol. Their claim is that by the time the girls are competing optionals, they are a seasoned competitor and that all the meets have given them the experience needed to be unfazed in competition, and I can see that point as well.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back