Parents Typical Summer Pre-team schedules

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My daughter (4.5) is relatively new to the pre-team program and I'm looking into our summer programming. I just found out that the pre-team program continues in the summer, but it is in the mornings. I work full time and she goes to camp/school so I'm not sure we'd be able to continue during the summer.

I was wondering what most people do for summer programming. What does your gym do? What are the typical summer schedules for pre-team? Do they take a break over the summer? Do they have a different schedule over the summer? Thanks!

I don’t think our gym switches to morning/day during the summer until team, but either way parents figure it out. Either through carpools, hiring someone to drive their kids, getting grandparents to help etc. I know it’s a struggle for a lot of people, but it’s pretty typical.

this will be my daughter, who is also 4 (5 in June), second summer on preteam. At her previous gym preteam practiced earlier in the day. Around 2 or 3. I'm not sure what it will look like this summer since she is at a new gym and i won't find out if she moves up to level 2 team until may. I'm planning on earlier practices as of now.

I will say, nice gyms do not break over summer and if i took my daughter out of preteam over summer break, they wouldn't allow her on team

Thank you for the feedback! I figured we'd have to find a way to make it work, but I was wondering what a typical schedule looks like since this is all new to me! I was surprised they moved to mornings over the summer, especially at this age. Everything feels so intense at such a young age when I just want her to have fun and I don't want to limit her opportunities. The gymnastics culture is really a whole new world.

Thank you for the feedback! I figured we'd have to find a way to make it work, but I was wondering what a typical schedule looks like since this is all new to me! I was surprised they moved to mornings over the summer, especially at this age. Everything feels so intense at such a young age when I just want her to have fun and I don't want to limit her opportunities. The gymnastics culture is really a whole new world.
I don't think there's a typical schedule. It all depends on the gym honestly. It is typically for non rec class times to change though.

If you don't think this is the best thing for your family i would move her back to rec classes before she realizes what team actually is. The preteam at my daughter's gym is designed to give the child and the family an idea of what team is like so they can decide if its the right choice for them.

She should still have fun in the preteam class though. If she isn't that's a problem

Our gym tried to keep it the same day and time and then when they joined team the next year, it was also the same days - so Tuesday/Thursday preteam went to Tuesday/Thursday level 2 or Xcel silver (we switched to Xcel only a couple years ago), and then the new preteam group would be Monday/Wednesday. It worked really well for us. Sometimes summer would be maybe a half hour earlier - like 4 instead of 4:30. Nothing crazy.

We did make some accommodations for weird summer schedules though, and sometimes an athlete would join a rec class for the summer and then come back to preteam in the fall.

It’s common for pre team and team to switch to summer training hours when school is out. I’m lucky in that my husband is a stay at home dad so it’s not an issue for us, but we all help each other out. When they were younger we’d have teammates whose parent work sleep over on gym days, or pick them up/drop others off from their parent’s work, etc.

Does your gym also offer a summer camp that runs the full day? If yes, could you sign her up for that, and then she could do the pre-team training during the camp time and go back to camp when pre-team training is over?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back