Parents Ugh, frustration.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

We went through something similar with my DD. Several hours of rec just wasn't helping her improve her strength. We finally got into a developmental team, and it is night and day.

I don't have a ton of advice because pullover was the one skill that came easily for my DD. I will say that she always had strong abs, which I attribute to hours of gracefully swinging on the monkey bars. She also likes doing pull-ups on our door pull-up bar at home. Anything to work the abs would be good.

Chin every day. Leg lifts every day. Knees to nose round she goes. Can't drop her head back until the legs are up there.

DD got hers after someone suggested that she do the monkey bars at school during recess. I guess she took this as a challenge, because she came home every day and told me she did the monkey bars x times today. After a couple of months, she had built up enough upper body muscle to do a pullover. A year later, and bars is her best event (9.2 so far). Also, the monkey bars are now here go-to hang out place on the playground. lol

We actually had a nice talk with the HC together, and then me alone. DD feels better now, and will actually be getting a private (she won it in a contest), but will be focusing the lesson on a list of needed skills rather than the pullover. Another coach spent some good time with her during their conditioning class just doing kick overs- over and over and over. Once we move, with the direction of our current HC, we are considering putting her in T&T. HC believes DD would be successful at competing it, and has the right skills to move right onto a team.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back