UK comps, fair?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm not sure they are vaguely similar. In our region any kind of salto on floor, giants and probably a few other things I can't be bothered to look up are actually barred moves rather than a bonus.

They do have the 180 split jump, which has to be connected to another jump and if it's not 180 you lose the connection plus the loss of the skill. That's a real stinker at that level. It's often the first comp girls do and a 180 split jump on beam is a tough skill.

Is your dd going to nationals for level 4 Flossy?

I was going to say, I'd really like to, but I hesitated and tried work out why.

Given there are a relatively small number of gyms we could be at and piecing together things I've said it wouldn't be hard for someone to narrow down which girl could be my dd if she stays in this sport much longer. I know that the parents on this board are knowledgeable and supportive and take an interest in each others offspring for all the right reasons and I'm pretty confident at this stage that (however fabulous I think she is and relatively well she is doing) dd is not a stand out who would be noticed for gymnastics reasons at this stage, so I don't mind that at all, but there's always the unknown lurkers...

But I guess the main reason is something bog said once, that we need to be careful in a small gymnastics community like this, because if we give too much information which gym we are at, and maybe who we might be, we can't expect to moan about it on here or have a little rant without the possibility of it getting back. And that was valuable advice.

Dd has two more comps coming up before Christmas.

I think that's fair Flossy. I don't like to give out too much info on DD anymore as the elite community (not just gymnastics) is so small.

I'm fairly sure I've worked out which gym you're at, or at least which region. Once you get to level 3/2 the elite pool narrows down even further. Probably not obvious for most on here but for anyone who follows UK elite from level 4 you get a feel for who's who by about level 2 for definite, especially these days when all results are available online.

But I guess the main reason is something bog said once, that we need to be careful in a small gymnastics community like this, because if we give too much information which gym we are at, and maybe who we might be, we can't expect to moan about it on here or have a little rant without the possibility of it getting back. And that was valuable advice.

You can never be too careful here. I get PM's all the time from lurkers tossing people under the bus left right and center. The members are not really the dangerous ones, it is the ones that read and never post. They tend to be the coaches and owners etc. A bit freaky to be honest. But that is how we found out about BriBri514 and all the madness she spun with her tales. Mind you she might be a he, we actually have no idea who it was who created all those profiles and lies. Colour me shocked as I thought I had heard it all before.

That split leap deduction is huge, we once had a kip/cast deduction like that. Was killing routines and was very subjective. After a very ugly year they changed it. a 1.2 deduction and the loss of the value parts was brutal.

You can never be too careful here. I get PM's all the time from lurkers tossing people under the bus left right and center. The members are not really the dangerous ones, it is the ones that read and never post. They tend to be the coaches and owners etc. A bit freaky to be honest. But that is how we found out about BriBri514 and all the madness she spun with her tales. Mind you she might be a he, we actually have no idea who it was who created all those profiles and lies. Colour me shocked as I thought I had heard it all before.

You just have to look on the "who is looking at what" page to see how many "guests" there are. Could be anyone. I know people at my gym know I post here, they might well know who I am as well just from my screename as I use the same persona for all my fora.

It was the narrowing of the pool which got me thinking. There were far fewer girls at level 4 than level 5 and I'm guessing there will be fewer still by level 3. I don't know how much longer dd will be in this sport, she may quit tomorrow, but IF she goes further than level 3 I ought not to make it too easy to trace her. I've started bumping into the same people, rolling my eyes and saying "hear we go again" to strangers with vaguely familiar faces clutching cameras!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back