um.... ouch?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I watched some more of the cheerleaders video and :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

some of the choreography ahhhhhh inappropriate for a 5 year old quite frankly i am 16 and wouldn't do some of that easily way too provocative and suggestive and her jumps are UGLY! I think cheer is wrong for 5 year olds unless the choreography is suited to them because otherwise its just wrong to be using kids like that!!!!!!!

THis is why this video makes me sick!!!

YouTube - Single Ladies

The boy wasn't terrible at least it was somewhat safe and it wasn't round off back headspring full twist to neck like so many are!

Oh i have seen those vids take a look at my boyfriends back they spread their legs eep they are amazing dancers and dont need those s wordy moves i have to admit i love there turns LOL

I watched some more of the cheerleaders video and :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

some of the choreography ahhhhhh inappropriate for a 5 year old quite frankly i am 16 and wouldn't do some of that easily way too provocative and suggestive and her jumps are UGLY! I think cheer is wrong for 5 year olds unless the choreography is suited to them because otherwise its just wrong to be using kids like that!!!!!!!

YouTube - Single Ladies

The boy wasn't terrible at least it was somewhat safe and it wasn't round off back headspring full twist to neck like so many are!

OMG!! Ok the girls CAN dance but seriously I keep saying this just because they CAN do a thing doesn't mean they SHOULD do it. WAAAAAAY to provocative I'm wondering where the stripper pole was and when the stripper show was going to start.

Seriously they could have had a great dance routine with something more age appropriate

The little cheerleaders and dancers - disgusting, inappropriate, exploitative, and sad.
I know a girl who does the competitive dance thing. She is not as inappropriate as those little girls, and she still wins - often. It just doesn't need to be that way. It is not cute. It makes me feel dirty just watching it:eek:
And honestly, when did booty shaking become dancing? The only skill the girls had was their turns; nice high toe, straight backs, turning whole body together, and spotting. Otherwise, I hesitate to call this dancing.

Those girld are amazing dancers! That doesnt mean that they have to do those moves. And even if they can do those dances doesnt mean that they should. They would look good doing any dance, and they would probably look better doing a dance that isnt so trashy. It makes them look good as dancers but it leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth aftwe watching it.

That is exactly what i thought, they are obviously incredibly talented but the choreography is just appalling! I just find it gross when i see 5 year olds doing dances/cheer routines that shout "Gimme a pole will you?" or "I'm about to break my neck and mummy wants to film it"

gymgurl = LMFAO haha and im a dancer we do none of that i do contemporary its soft and graceful and i think these little girls should definately look into ballet with those turns ;)

There are always gonna be parents like this... This person actually has a few scary videos of their daughter "tumbling". This one scared me so bad. Look at the very last handspring, about 18 seconds into the video. She jumps straight onto her head. Scared me so bad.
[youtube]KxG_2QqaI_g[/youtube]

Oh my gosh!!! that made me sick! So many bhs in a row, even my level 9 would be tired. She did that last one then collapsed. It doesn't show if she is hurt, but where it stops and her body language tells it all.

Ok I wasn't looking for more of these types of things but I had to post this to go with this one

YouTube - Five year old gymnast flips out

5yo BHS in the yard no spot, no mat head hitting ground. What are these folks thinking!! Not fabulous at all - its just dangerous. I think it might be the 4yo that started this thread who is now 5yo I don't know but Why is everyone in such a rush. Can Do doesn't equal Should Do.

I don't have as much problem with the little boy. Not the best technique, but at least he wasn't hitting his head.
I hear ya. But, can we be sure that he always had the strength and height in his tumbling? I wouldn't be too surprised if he had hit his head a few times too. Boys are far more crazy than girls and they don't have to be encouraged to do crazy things.

I hear ya. But, can we be sure that he always had the strength and height in his tumbling? I wouldn't be too surprised if he had hit his head a few times too. Boys are far more crazy than girls and they don't have to be encouraged to do crazy things.

Hard to say. I'd note that I've met more than one (gymnastics) coach whose approach to teaching BHS seems to be "let them hit their head til they learn to keep their arms straight" :rolleyes: Drives me INSANE.

YouTube - Single Ladies

I have to admit the little girls were pretty good dancers. They really did the dance better than Beyonce herself. If we put aside the skimpy, crude attire and focus on the moves, as provacative as they are, they were very crisp in their movements. However, this would never fly with me as a parent. I could never let my little one out there to be oogled by who knows who. Unfortunately, this is what dance has come to in our society. I read some of the comments from this video and the posters were right. The outfits are almost the norm in cheer/ dance competitions.
Older DD did cheer after gym. She was 13/14 and her outfit was pretty skimpy. I was very happy when she decided to quit cheer. I never let her roam the comp. without throwing on a shirt however. Parents have to be watchful of the other 'weirdos' at these competition sites. I am certain there were many 'strangers' at DD's cheer comps because they knew they could watch young cheerleaders. It is a scary world.
Little DD was quite enamored with cheer when her older sis' was in it. But, NOPE she will never be allowed to join. I saw enough to scare me for a life time!!

I don't really get why people think it's so impressive if their preschooler can do a BHS, especially an ugly one. It's not really that difficult of a thing to do. Show me a 3 or 4 year old doing a kip and then I'll be impressed. I think it took DD around one month to learn to do a ROBHS when she moved to Level 4. She hadn't even done a standing BHS, just a BWO. Meanwhile it probably took twice as long to get her FHC on bars and then another few months for it took look good and have a strong cast.

Not all cheer gyms have their little ones dancing like hookers. I have actually worked at a few where the 3-6yo music was a mix of nursery rhymes (with some beat added, but still) and they did basic "dance" moves.

Also to those who think kids dont just pick up on skills on their own, my baby sister (who I have seen a handful of times because she was born when I was in college 3000 miles away) taught herself a cartwheel and started trying to do bwo and bhs when she was 3... luckily my parents caught it and put her in a gym and told her she wasn't allowed to do it outside of her class.

The worst thing that I think a parent can do (and this has happened to me several times as a coach) is ask me to teach them to spot so they can pratice at home. Even if they can spot the skill, if they do not know corrections for a skill the child will practice it wrong, and then it takes more time to correct it in the gym. I understand you want your kids to be great, but they should have time off at home to deal with being a kid!

Just my 2 cents.

Merry Christmas!

Inappropriate indeed but don't get all revved up over this. This type of choreography and performance is not all that uncommon. Just stop at any dance competition and see it for yourself.

I have to respectfully disagree. It's because we think "well, everyone else is doing it" that we allow coaches to choreograph these kinds of routines for little girls. If more parents said "No" to inappropriate dancing, etc., it wouldn't be the norm. I do get "revved" up over this stuff, and that's one reason why my girls aren't cheerleaders. And when dd got to level 7, I told the choreographer "NO BOOTY SHAKING" or shoulder shaking or anything suggestive. She got an excellent, non-provocative, beautiful routine that I would never be embarrassed for anyone to see.

I have to respectfully disagree. It's because we think "well, everyone else is doing it" that we allow coaches to choreograph these kinds of routines for little girls.
Don't get me wrong. I'm 110% with you calling it crap and I'll be the last one to let any dance teacher choreograph such numbers for my kids (especially at this age). In fact, if they insist, I think it's time for us to run.

I was just saying you can't save the world. Sometimes, we just have to turn the other way.

Very sadly, many dance studio overly use these moves in their numbers to gain an edge. Even though good judges look for clean, age appropriate and technical performances, just as many don't because that is what the general audience want. I mean just check out cheesy productions like "You Think You Can Dance" or "Dancing with the Stars". There is so much emphasis on sex appeal seduction on those shows. Have you ever seen a good tap number do well?

Last edited:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back