Parents Underarm odor advice needed

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

cyclopsmom

Proud Parent
My dd is 12 and has some pretty strong underarm odor, even though she does use deodorant once or twice daily as needed. This season she got her first blingy comp leo with (mesh) sleeves and foil, and our coaches asked that we hand wash them. After her first meet, I had to hand wash twice using Ivory Snow and cold water to get the smell out. Her second meet was yesterday and I soaked and washed more thoroughly, but there is still an odor and I will have to try again.

My questions:

1. What type of strong deodorant do you recommend that will not stain the black mesh sleeves? Right now she uses Dove Go Fresh Cucumber Deodorant/Antiperspirant, but it is not doing the job. We would probably only use the strong deodorant for meets.

2. What do you use to clean odors out of a comp leo? Would it be safe to put the leo in a lingerie bag and wash it in the machine?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

I don't know about how it would affect the leo, but since Dove is what she has been using, has she tried the Dove Clinical Protection?

No, she hasn't. I don't want to ruin the new leo, as it cost three times as much as any of her previous team leos. I suppose I could look for reviews about stains.

My DD uses certain dri on meet days. You put it on the night before. So far, so good with the leo and no stains. I have to say from my personal experience I don’t like the Dove line your DD is using. I find that’s it’s not strong enough and makes me smell funky if I used it too frequently.

My DD uses certain dri on meet days. You put it on the night before. So far, so good with the leo and no stains. I have to say from my personal experience I don’t like the Dove line your DD is using. I find that’s it’s not strong enough and makes me smell funky if I used it too frequently.
Thanks- I will read up on the Certain Dri. The Dove worked for my 18 year old and I liked the lower aluminum content, but my younger one just needs something stronger.

I use Secret and will check on the clinical strength. She could even try the regular first as it is stronger than Dove. Secret does stain my clothes, but I do wear the same clothes for many, many years.

I don't think she would wear the pads or the vest. It looks like it would show and she is already particular about what bras and underwear she wears under her leo.

If the perspiration is truly excessive, you could ask your pediatrician for a prescription for Drysol anti perspirant. We have prescribed this for a few kids in our office with this same issue with good results. I think there is probably more aluminum in it though so you're going to have to pick your poison so to speak...

And as far as washing the leo in the machine, I always did, for 17 years in the sport...even the ones that said to hand wash. I would turn them inside out, put them in a lingerie bag and machine wash on the "hand wash" cycle..and we never had any odor issues. I never put them in the dryer and always hung them to dry.

Oh man, I feel your pain.

My DD was on clinical strength deodorant from age 9 until her skin said no more (kept breaking out). Now her gym clothes have a near constant odor, as she’s mostly stuck with all-natural deodorants. :eek:

Anyway. She’s had some luck with using Mitchum - they have a clear gel.

As for the leos, I spot treat the armpits with diluted Dreft (sensitive skin), then regular hand wash. I hang it to dry. Once dry, I’ll stuff used dryer sheets inside near the armpits to try to help. So far, I’ve been luckiest with that approach, though I’ll be following along with this thread, ha! Good luck!

If the perspiration is truly excessive, you could ask your pediatrician for a prescription for Drysol anti perspirant. We have prescribed this for a few kids in our office with this same issue with good results. I think there is probably more aluminum in it though so you're going to have to pick your poison so to speak...

And as far as washing the leo in the machine, I always did, for 17 years in the sport...even the ones that said to hand wash. I would turn them inside out, put them in a lingerie bag and machine wash on the "hand wash" cycle..and we never had any odor issues. I never put them in the dryer and always hung them to dry.

I don't think the perspiration is super excessive. Mostly just the smell, especially in this particular leo with sleeves that don't seem to breathe due to the lining/backing in the armpits. Her clothes and other leos are not too bad with daily showers and deodorant.

If this leo still smells after the second wash and baking soda paste to the armpits, it is going in the washer. I do not have time to hand wash the same garment three times a week with meets every weekend!

Don't know if this will work but I just remembered seeing an article about putting jeans in a ziploc and into the freezer for 48 hours. It kills all the bacteria that causes the odor. Now, this wasn't for underarm odor but I would think it would be the same. I don't "think" it would harm the material or bling

Oh man, I feel your pain.

My DD was on clinical strength deodorant from age 9 until her skin said no more (kept breaking out). Now her gym clothes have a near constant odor, as she’s mostly stuck with all-natural deodorants. :eek:

Anyway. She’s had some luck with using Mitchum - they have a clear gel.

As for the leos, I spot treat the armpits with diluted Dreft (sensitive skin), then regular hand wash. I hang it to dry. Once dry, I’ll stuff used dryer sheets inside near the armpits to try to help. So far, I’ve been luckiest with that approach, though I’ll be following along with this thread, ha! Good luck!

I have heard of Mitchum, but will have to look it up again. I tried a baking soda paste to wash the arm pits, but will have to try my Ivory Snow to spot treat if it didn't work- won't know until it is dry.

Haven't tried it so I can't speak but there's the new Dove invisible dry spray that supposedly works for 48 hours. Worth investigating.

I was wanting to try a spray. Will look this one up.

Here's another thought...and I have no idea as to the feasibility of it...could you try painting liquid band aid (I think sold as "Nu Skin") on her underarms (vs the pads) , and see if that works?

Don't know if this will work but I just remembered seeing an article about putting jeans in a ziploc and into the freezer for 48 hours. It kills all the bacteria that causes the odor. Now, this wasn't for underarm odor but I would think it would be the same. I don't "think" it would harm the material or bling

Worth a try! Thanks!

The bad news- I can still smell it on one side even though it is not dry. The good news- dd says they are wearing a meet (tank) leo this weekend.

I also heard this to deal with smell - put garment in a ziplock bag and put in the freezer for 48 hours. It supposedly helps kill the bacteria. Never tried it. Worth a shot.

Haven’t had to do it on a Leo, but for ballet costumes (we are talking adults, some male, some sweating profusely) we always use straight vodka in a spray bottle. These costumes do NOT get washed during a run of a production (like 7-15days of shows). This helped odor tremendously.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back