Parents Unsupervised Teen Sleepovers?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

Would you allow your teen to sleepover at a friends house who's parents are out of town?

• Yes

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • No

Votes: 31 72.1%
  • Why can't they have their sleepover at a house where parents are home?

Votes: 7 16.3%

• Total voters

JBS

ChalkBucket Founder
Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Proud Parent
Reaction score
How many of you would let your teen sleepover at a friends house who's parent is out of town? We are talking 12-16 year old girls. All of them have older brothers that are in high school.

Never in a million years, and I would be concerned that their friends were being left alone. At the lower end of the ages you used I would be taking action. At the very least I would be inviting that child left home to sleep at my house.

No way Jose, and older brother is NOT a re-assurance, more like "hey is your hot sister gonna be there ?", but I'm really fussy. I only let Big boy stay for short periods (up to 2 hours) in the house by himself and he will be 16 in August, and absolutely no friends are allowed round unless there is an adult here. Also he is not allowed round a friends unless there is an adult present.

JBS, the the fact that you are even asking this scares me... Who in their right mind would think this is ok? I am assuming it is not you. And if it is you - a resounding "are you crazy?!" is in order.... There was just an article a few weeks ago where parents were investigated (and children taken out of the home) for leaving their teen children home while they went away for a few days. I don't remember the details. I think something happened and that's how the authorities found out about it.

When it comes to teens, more of them means more opportunity for trouble. Would I let my 16 year old sleepover over at her 16 year old friends house to keep her friend company while the friends parents are out of town for the night? Sure. Big group sleepover of teens with no parents...no. And like Iwwannabemargo said, the addition of older teenage boys is NOT a reassurance.

When it comes to teens, more of them means more opportunity for trouble. Would I let my 16 year old sleepover over at her 16 year old friends house to keep her friend company while the friends parents are out of town for the night? Sure. Big group sleepover of teens with no parents...no. And like Iwwannabemargo said, the addition of older teenage boys is NOT a reassurance.

If that was the situation then Suzie would be invited to our house, mine would not be allowed over there !

Well I know this isn't about JBS's dd's because they are not that old. Guessing it is team girls.

The answer is no way would that happen with my kids.

Though I will add I did leave my 16 year old home alone with her 13 year old sister one weekend. Grandma lives next door and Aunt and cousin live over the road. I also knew that they would be careful and respectful. But no way would any one else's children be able to join them.

I will also add that my 17 year old DD lives in our condo in a city 90 minutes away from us and manages her life just fine. Some kids can be trusted, others cannot.

No way
Good that the kid in question is honest in saying there are no parents imo. They obviously realise it might not fly.
They could have lied ...

My kids are 8...7...and 3. They are not sleeping over anywhere unsupervised.

The real question is...did I overstep my limits as Head Coach? I sent an email out to the parents in question to let them know what was being planned...some where aware...some had been lied to.

When I hear something in the gym that is potentially dangerous...I let the parents know. If they still choose to let all of their kids do it...that is their choice. I cannot choose parenting styles for people...of course...I can set the standard for our team. I can suspend / remove gymnasts from the team also if bad decisions are made during the event.

While I trust these girls...they are all teenagers.

If I heard some of Big Boys friends planning a party with parents away I would phone the parents and let them know, I have a pact with the mum down the street - we went to school together - I snich on hers and she snitches on mine - simples !

The real question is...did I overstep my limits as Head Coach? I sent an email out to the parents in question to let them know what was being planned...some where aware...some had been lied to.

When I hear something in the gym that is potentially dangerous...I let the parents know. If they still choose to let all of their kids do it...that is their choice. I cannot choose parenting styles for people...of course...I can set the standard for our team. I can suspend / remove gymnasts from the team also if bad decisions are made during the event.

I don't believe you overstepped. If I were one of the parents being lied to, I would be glad to be informed. Coaches spend a lot of time with the girls, and probably hear lots of things- I would hope that anything that is a safety issue would be brought to my attention.

IMO, you made the right decision to let the parents know. I would have been upset if I found out that an adult (with whom I trusted to have my child's best interest in mind - coach, teacher, close neighbor/friend) knew about it, and didn't alert me.

NEVER. and you did the right thing.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back