Up and Down practices

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My dd is new to gymnastics (only one year now)....There are times when I see her practice that I think....wow, she is really doing well, then other times I think her practices don't go as well. Is this unusual? Don't get me wrong, I am VERY proud of my daughter's work and dedication. I am constantly amazed, but should I be concerned with bad practices or just chalk it up to a bad day?? Thanks.

Totally normal, every gymnast is like that. It is one of the reasons I don't watch practice, it is so easy to make a comment that can really get to them without meaning it to. If our kids watched us do our jobs they would see our good days and bad days too, good job they don't eh???

If she's just started, the skills she's working on probably just aren't very consistent yet. I don't know how old she is, but if she's pretty young that could also play a factor; it's harder for younger girls to remember everything their coach says and then transfer it consistently to their turns. So I would just say her bad practices are off days and not worry about them unless she seems upset. She sounds very talented and I'm sure she has a great gymnastics future!

This is the norm and will remain the norm even if your dd goes onto the highest levels of gymnastics. Sometimes there will be a string of bad days - or possibly a bad season. Some skills she will pick up easily, other she will struggle with for months (or even years). My advice, focus on the bigger picture, not the day to day.

Totally normal. That's why, IMHO, it is best not to watch every practice. This is my dd's 3rd year in gymnastics and she has had her fair share of good days and bad.

Think of gymnastics as a roller coaster--there are lots of climbs and descents, ups and downs, hills and thrills, tears and laughter, and even excitement and fear, but in the end it was a wild ride!!!! The ups and downs are totally normal especially in the beginning when there is so much to learn and master.

Very Normal!!! Just like everyone else we all have good days and bad days the important thing - is she having fun and learning.

I find the same thing, some days DD will seem to be getting something she has struggled with for ages and it seems like huge progress, then on a day when she is feeling tired, suddenly she'll be weak and pathetic and hardly able to do anything! I think it is totally normal and nothing to worry about.

Just to let you know, my 5 year old does this too. Before her first competition, she had an awful week. Really awful. She placed first all around at this meet with a 36 plus. I just kept my mouth closed and let her work it out. She didn't need added stress from me. My advice would be let her have her bad days and leave it at the gym. She already knows when she has a bad day. Take her out for icecream or something after one of these days and move on.

I never comment on my dd's practices..good or bad...the only question I ask after question is if she had fun. If that answer is ever "no" then I am concerned...:cool:

Gymdad reminds us pretty frequently in his posts to remember that it's a marathon, and I have really found this helpful to think about, especially as the gym that my dd goes to is not as "serious" as some and I worry that she could be making faster progress elsewhere. She's happy and completely IN LOVE with gymnastics, so why should I worry about anything else?

I do find that watching practices (especially early in year, with competitions looming and skills not quite where they should be) can make me very anxious and, even if I don't say a word, my dd picks up on that and she gets anxious too.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back