Parents UPDATE: 6yo with knee pain

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Committed

Proud Parent
Finally got into an ortho today, and DD has a patellar tendon tear on her left knee. She will need to be in a straight-leg brace for 5 weeks. *sigh*
The girl is just so accident prone. This is her 2nd leg injury in the past 7 months. At least this one is a brace and not a cast.

Ouch - that sounds painful! Great example of why it is so important to not wait to go to the doctor when there is pain that seems out of the ordinary. Hope she heals soon and comes back stronger than ever!

Really glad you listened to your gut (and some people here!) and brought her in! Hope she's not in too much pain.

"Growing pains" are not normal, and result from any number of different conditions associated with growth spurts. There is no pain from simply growing - it is always abnormal and should be investigated and diagnosed. So good for you following your intuition, hope she heals up quickly!

Was this in the gym? if so then perhaps another sport with less pounding would be best for her?

It's odd to have two notable injuries in a span of 7 months, especially for a 6 year old. Did you take to a "sports ortho" or one with pediatric focus? It would be nice to know if there's something about her leg structure, pronation/supination that may be contributing to the injury rate.

And as far the pounding an wear produced by the sport..... I'd like to believe it's limited and the focus is on body shapes, conditioning, and good technique.

I honestly am not sure about his focus, he seemed to see a wide range of patients.
Her injuries were very different, so I wouldn't say there was a relation. On her 6th birthday, she smacked her ankle on the springboard while doing form drills on vault, with her coach. She just came down wrong and missed.

However.... She is extremely clumsy, so it may be worth looking into.

Hey, that's just like I was when I'd first start out learning new skills. Maybe she has all the makings of a good gymnast.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back