WAG Updated info for the 2013-2014 season

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My L5 daughter is really upset that her little sister won't have to compete kip,fhc,cast when she reaches the new L4 (no fhc in the new L4 bars it appears). I'm just happy the music is changing after this year - it is the only reason I will allow little dd to even think about competing. :D

This is not true. Some skills will be different. The lower level compulsory vaults are different, for example. The Dive roll on floor in L5 (new L4) appears to be gone if you go off of the skill list posted in technique. It appears that all of the 1 foot turns will now be in passe (rather than some being in coupe) and that they are adding sissones into the compulsory floor routines. Also, the mill circles in L3 and L4 (New L2 and L3) area allowed to be either mill circles or single leg basket swings. I'm sure there are other minor changes that I'm not remembering at the moment. A link to the info is here:

http://usagym.org/pages/education/pdfs/13-20wjoCompProg.pdf

What I meant was skill wise the levels will stay the same. Having a them jump and dive roll onto a mat for lv 3 vault or do a hanstand flatback onto a lower mat is symantics. The route skills and progressions aren't going to change that much. Not like when the vault changed. From a coaching pov, just the routine is gonna change, not really on how I teach skills and progressions.I just coach pre-team and levels 2-4. Besides the single leg basket swing is just a drill for kips that a lot of gyms already use.

What we know for sure: (per April issue of Technique magazine, page 14.)
For compulsories the level #'s are shifting downward- so new 3 (current 4) all skills stay the same with the option of doing a glide kip mount on bars OR the current glide pull over mount. Also new 5 (current 6) can do a bwo, a back extension roll, OR a BHS step out on beam. Other than that- everything skill wise is the same as present. Only the music and routines will change.

We know nothing for sure about optionals other than the fact that a new level is being added. Optionals will now be level 6-level 10. The PROPOSED changes to optional levels goes something like this:
New level 6- beginner optional- only 1 B skill. Current 7 requires 2 B skills. Also, current 7 allows some UB C skills to be performed at B value. I understand this will not be an option.
New level 7- advanced beginner optional- 2 or 3 B skills and some C skills will count toward B value. Current level 8 requires 4 B skills and gives some B credit for C skills.
New level 8- intermediate optional- 4 B skills and one C skill allowed per event for B credit. Similar to current level 8, but only allowable C skills presently are dance and certain UB skills.
New level 9- Beginner optional- unchanged. 4 B skills, 1 C skill and 1 D/E skill for C credit.
New level 10- advanced optional- unchanged- 3 B skills, 2 C skills, and bonuses awarded for difficulty and connection.

There has been chatter that the "new" level 6 might not be a required competitive level. If that comes to fruition, I guess there would be criteria- either from USGA or from the gyms/coaches that would allow mobility from "new" level 5 to "new" level 7.

Do we know for sure about the music? Are they switching to the current "new" music, not to confuse with the "old" music that is still being used. LOL!? Or is the music going to be completely different from anything we will hear this year? I HATE the current "new" music and thank goodness, our gym is not using it.

The music is completely new, and there will be 3 music choices at each compulsory level.
Variety is good. Hearing the same song on repeat 60 times a Saturday is enough to drive you mad. And the coaches likely have multiple sessions, so they have it worse than the parents!

As a floor coach I always laugh when people get excited about new music. Regardless of how good it is, you will be sick of it by the end of the season.

Anyone know how these changes will be transferred to AAU? As a parent, we have heard through the grapevine that AAU will be changing with USAG, but that is rumor. Anyone actually know?

I believe AAU uses the same routines as USAG, they just have slightly different scoring and rules, so it would make sense that the routines will change with USAG.

What I meant was skill wise the levels will stay the same. Having a them jump and dive roll onto a mat for lv 3 vault or do a hanstand flatback onto a lower mat is symantics. The route skills and progressions aren't going to change that much. Not like when the vault changed. From a coaching pov, just the routine is gonna change, not really on how I teach skills and progressions.I just coach pre-team and levels 2-4. Besides the single leg basket swing is just a drill for kips that a lot of gyms already use.

Yes, for the most part, the "major" skills (IE: Kip, Cartwheel on beam, vaulting over the table, FHs on floor all in the same level) will stay the same. However, I disagree about the bolded part. I've always felt that the Dive roll vault is, at best, useless, and at worst, detrimental to developing a proper front handspring vault. So, I am actually happy with its removal from the compulsory program.

I believe AAU uses the same routines as USAG, they just have slightly different scoring and rules, so it would make sense that the routines will change with USAG.

Yeah, that is my assumption too. There are currently slight changes in routines (like no mill circle until L4 and no dive roll vault at all) so I guess we will just have to wait and see how closely they follow USAG. I would like to start mentally prepping my dd for a "repeat" of levels. Our coaches don't seem to know anything yet and therefore we have little girls who think they are going to continue our gym trend of a-year-a-level. I know my dd will not take a surprise like this well, so I would like to start discussions now. But only if I know for sure AAU is going to change too. Oh, the drama......

As a floor coach I always laugh when people get excited about new music. Regardless of how good it is, you will be sick of it by the end of the season.

All of our girls get their own music answer are sick of hearing them by season end. I can't begin to imagine coaches hearing the compulsory routine music for 3+ years!

Yes, for the most part, the "major" skills (IE: Kip, Cartwheel on beam, vaulting over the table, FHs on floor all in the same level) will stay the same. However, I disagree about the bolded part. I've always felt that the Dive roll vault is, at best, useless, and at worst, detrimental to developing a proper front handspring vault. So, I am actually happy with its removal from the compulsory program.

When my DD was at the YMCA for level 3, her coach had them compete the level 4 vault, because she felt teaching them the dive roll made it harder to teach them the handstand-flat back.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back