WAG Updated info for the 2013-2014 season

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Interesting the L1 and L2 were combined. they were saying that the new level added in would be at the L8-L9. It seems the same at that level but are requiring a 34.00 to move from 8 -9 that is going to be interesting to see how this unfolds.

does anyone know if coaches have this info yet? I only ask because it says "Nov/Dec" on the document.

Interesting the L1 and L2 were combined. they were saying that the new level added in would be at the L8-L9. It seems the same at that level but are requiring a 34.00 to move from 8 -9 that is going to be interesting to see how this unfolds.
Technically, it's only talking about the *current* level 8 to the new level 9. It doesn't clarify whether it refers to the *new* level 8 to the new level 9 mobility score.

The current mobility score from 8 to 9 is a 34, so no change there either. The changes allow for more advanced skills at level 8, if the gymnast/coach choose (ie back tucks on beam) which helps to bridge the gap between current 8/9.

So the question is whether the routines will become more difficult in 7-8 to prepare for 9, bringing up the whole expectation for each level (ex giants a "must" for current level 7) or will they stay with the minimal routines required for higher scores. Only time will tell.

So the question is whether the routines will become more difficult in 7-8 to prepare for 9, bringing up the whole expectation for each level (ex giants a "must" for current level 7) or will they stay with the minimal routines required for higher scores. Only time will tell.

that will be interesting to see...it looks like the "new 6" will be easier than the current 7, which to me would mean the new 7 would be a step above current 7? and so on...

OK, so after reading through the chart it appears that the mobility for 6-8 have been answered and make sense. We still have to wait until May to find out exactly how big of a jump from 7 to new 8 will be. But in terms of dd, I think she will be OK jumping from present 7 to new 8. She has a lot of her dance 'c's and will have no problem on bar routine. Tumbling for beam and floor may be a problem in terms of competing well if the 'expectation' will be 'c' tumbling or higher level of series than what 8 has now. Of course, like always, anything can happen from now til next season to change dad's track anyway... just thinking ahead.

So if the new L7 is slightly easier than the current 7 (If when the requirements come out, they require only one "B" skill), do you think we will see a trend towards more gyms having their girls score out of the last level of compulsories to go straight to optionals? Around here there are very few L6 gymnasts at competitions already. When my dd competed L6 there were WAY less L6's than L5's or 7's at the meets.

Around here there are very few L6 gymnasts at competitions already. When my dd competed L6 there were WAY less L6's than L5's or 7's at the meets.
Around here, meets can barely put together a single L6 session. But, that's because most of the gyms in this state switch girls over to Excel/Prep Op after 5, score out of 6 and go on to 7. Not sure who started it, but as the L6 numbers dwindled, other gyms were forced to follow suit so they'd have competition at meets. Our HC isn't a fan, but he also doesn't like showing up at meets where there are only ~20 other gymnasts (where PO will have 200).

So if the new L7 is slightly easier than the current 7 (If when the requirements come out, they require only one "B" skill), do you think we will see a trend towards more gyms having their girls score out of the last level of compulsories to go straight to optionals? Around here there are very few L6 gymnasts at competitions already. When my dd competed L6 there were WAY less L6's than L5's or 7's at the meets.
I could see it going one of several directions. As it is now, it's a reasonably common practice for gyms to have kids "skip" level 6, either doing a year of prep-op before scoring out or scoring out and going straight to 7. With the new optional level 6, I wonder if the new level 5 (same as current level 6) will be that often skipped over level in an effort to get to optionals faster (especially with easier optional requirements) or if coaches will instead choose to jump over level 6 optionals and go right to the new 7, not really seeing a need for the new intro optional level, especially if their past athletes have transitioned from 6 to 7 just fine.
Goodness, I'm confused just typing all of that! It really will be interesting to how all of this plays out.

I'll be curious to see what DD's HC does. She only started the whole prep op competing/test out of level 6 last season. We have absolutely no idea if they will continue this or have our girls do the new level 5/old 6 next season. I think she is not too sure herself, LOL! Not many gyms in our state compete level 6 anymore. At the state meet last season, there were half the number of level 6 teams compared to levels 4 and 5.

Our gym competes L6 too, as do many gyms in this area so I think it's likely that there won't be a lot of skipping of new L5 (old L6). I think our gym would be far more likely to skip new L6 especially if it is slightly easier than old L7. Our 7s are required to have giants and bwo/bhs on beam so I can see our gym skipping the new L6 in favor of new L7. Thankfully, my dd is competing L8 this year so hopefully won't have to worry about new L8 and can just move to L9, which seems to be pretty much the same.

I think the new Level 7 is slightly harder than the old 7. The new Level 6 (optional) will be slightly easier than the new 7.

I think the new Level 7 is slightly harder than the old 7. The new Level 6 (optional) will be slightly easier than the new 7.

Oops, that's what I meant, the new L6. I was just referring to the 1st level of optionals being slightly easier than the current one. Perhaps gyms that are scoring out of L6 and using prep for a year will use the new 6 instead.
We are one of the few gyms in our area still competing L6. When my dd did L6 it was pretty much the same dozen girls at all the local meets, and probably about 40 at state meet, compared to well over 100 at L5 and L7.
My dd is competing L8 this year, so I am glad that she can either do just a little harder L8 next year with adding in a C skill or go to L9 if she gets all her skills. I am glad about the change as dd has several teammates this year who are repeating L8 because they do not have L9 skills on all their events. Unfortunately because of the current system they cannot compete the "c" skills that they do have. I am glad that will change for next year. I think the current L8 girls are at a great level for the change next year as they will get to step up slightly or just go to 9 if they are ready.

Can open...worms everywhere... I dont see the need for this new optional level 6. It will probably be skipped (scored out) by many gymnasts. I can see the current trend of scoring out of 6 (new 5) and then scoring out of new 6. So that will be two levels being skipped instead of 1.

Our gym scores out of 6 cause its just so hard, and the judging is so harsh its demoralizing. They train the summer for 1 meet, then move on. The requirements for 7 in our gym are min. 1 giant and bwo/bwo. Why wouldnt they skip the new 6 too?

I do not envy the gym owners and head coaches across the country trying to explain all this to zealous parents. And girls who have to repeat will feel they are dropping down a level (even though they're not), and it may discourage them a lot. I don't like it. They should keep the current names and just call the new 6 "7a" and old 7 "7b." it would save a lot of frustration.

Can open...worms everywhere... I dont see the need for this new optional level 6. It will probably be skipped (scored out) by many gymnasts. I can see the current trend of scoring out of 6 (new 5) and then scoring out of new 6. So that will be two levels being skipped instead of 1.

interesting. If anything, I see it more likely that they will skip the new 5 (old 6), compete the new L6 because it is the first optional level and then the girls who can will skip the new 7, which is going to be only slightly lower than the new 8 (which apparently is going to be the same as current with the option of harder skills). But really, I see most gyms falling in line to the new levels and just going straight through them. One of the biggest reasons for this is to give the girls an extra year to learn L9 skills while decreasing the need to actually repeat a level (8). I think most gyms are going to stick with the new optional level system for the great majority of their gymnasts (though I do see many gyms skipping new 5, like they do with 6 now)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back