WAG Upper Body Strength

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

z2akids

Proud Parent
My DD's best friend is struggling with her level 4 skills. She is a great tumbler and very flexible. However, she cannot do a chin up and even after a year at level 3, she has difficulty with pullovers (and she is 10, so probably not a big hhead problem).

So, my question is, can a child with poor arm strength progress on bars?

Lots and lots of both conditioning and repetition.

Reactions: sce
IMO, a lot of gyms do not do enough conditioning/strength training at L3 to help girls who are not naturally strong, especially the ones that aren't itty bitty. As they grow and increase in size, they need to be even stronger. Good technique can help a weaker gymnast achieve the skill, but EVERYTHING is easier when they are stronger. So I think it's difficult or impossible to progress much if they are weak, however, it is perfectly possible to be stronger. She may need to ask for some extra conditioning.

Could she? Maybe, I guess it depends on what kind of conditioning is already being done. If she can do a single chin up and can barely do a pullover, level 4 bars is going to be a distant dream. Can the parents get her a pull up bar and start her with doing some partner chin ups (they hold her feet and give her a little help)? Or you can use elastic bands.

More upper body and core conditioning. Only way to get stronger.

We bought my dd one of those chin up bars that hangs in a doorway. We hung it up in our kitchen (yes, I know Frat House decorating) but it has made a difference. The only thing she is allowed to do is chin ups (maybe some leg lifts) but she will do a few as I am talking to her while working in the kitchen. Sometimes it seems like she can't walk under it without doing a few chin ups other times she ignores it but I do think it helps. It is also fun at parties for her to challenge our guests to chin up contests.

The elastic bands are great gymdog, they really helped dd with her level 4 bar skills.
First time poster but what are the elastic bands? Are they the kind that hooks to bottom of foot and you sorta do arm curls? ( not sure how to describe) we have nowhere safe or convenient to put a pull up bar in our house so this sounds like a good alternative.

Dog303 my dad actually gave my dd the elastic bands...the brand is SPRI XETUBE upper body workout. The coach actually recommended them...so they are these elastic bands with handles. They can be used on a hook and dd can pull them down and dd can stand in the middle of them while holding the handles and pull up. They use arm and chest muscles with light resistance. Coach recommended girls to use it during commercials while watching a show. Let me know if this doesn't make sense and I will elaborate.

My dd started gymnastics late at 9 and was put straight onto the level 3 team. Upper arm strength was and still is a big issue for her, pullover didn't come until right before her first comp, and even then it was more of a kick up than a chin up. Lots of strength and conditioning. Even now she still has a lot more strength in one arm than the other, which is kind of hilarious when watching her do kips, they're rather lopsided. :eek: But she is MUCH better, and still improving.

Does it help with upper body strength if they do regular (like every practice) holds in pike and straddle on the floor or parallettes?

I definitely agree that she needs additional conditioning. I guess I am just wondering if bars becomes more timing than strength in those late compulsory levels.

Unfortunately, she is not likely to fall in love with bars enough to get serious about her conditioning. Coaches told her from when she was young how wonderful her flexibility is. I think that it is a hard pill to swallow that the flexibility isn't the only important piece.

DD will be disappointed if her friend winds up stuck at a lower level or moves to xcel or quits due to bars.

I have a couple girls who struggle with upper body strength so have really upped conditioning for the summer to see what happens, I've also added extra conditioning side stations on bars. During the season were they doing consistent conditioning? Is this girl the only one who struggles or are there others?
I have one girl who comes to mind who really struggles with bars skills, she can do enough to get by, but it's a struggle and hasn't improved very much in the last year, even though she does the exact same conditioning as her teammates. I think she has grown quite a bit in the last year though which I think could be part of the problem, might that be contributing to this girls struggles?

Strength and Conditioning is the biggest change I have seen since we moved to a new gym about 1 year ago. They did conditioning daily at old gym, but not nearly as much or the right mix of things because over the last year my daughter has become much more powerful and now has the ability to engage it when needed.

Bars is somewhat timing for sure, but they must have the strength to cast to HS, do Free-Hip to HS, etc. so it is definitely necessary to keep working on strength. It makes everything easier so it is important on all events.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back