Vacation/ time off??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I

igymnast

I am training for level 9 this summer and I am going on vacation for around ten days and will be going on various vacations also throughout the summer. I was wondering what are some ways to stay in shape, stay flexible, and be able to go back to gym without being behind?? I wont have any equipment etc. while im on vacation. I don't want to be behind when I get back so let me know if you have any ideas!! :)Thanks!

Enjoy the break from gym, the rest will do your body a world of good. Stay active though, swim, bike and walk etc. Doing other sports will keep your fitness level up, but allow your overused muscles a chance to rest.

You will probably go back to gym with more energy.

My daughter's coach said the same thing. :) We are hiking and rafting on this vacation sprinkled in with some swimming. She said that would be plenty for my daughters.

Or, do what my daughter does most of the time while on vac... Climb every tree/pole, do tricks on every building fixture, slide every handrail, jump every staircase, do handstands on every street fixture (include fire hydrants), etc. Don't know if that will help your skills when you return (or help to stay unharmed), but it'll keep you active.

I agree with what everyone has said so far about letting your body rest and relax a little.
If you are still concerned, you could try looking for gyms in the area near where you are vacationing and see if you could drop in for a practice or two. We have had a few kids come to my gym while they were vacatioing and practice with our team. The gym works out a special deal for "visitor pricing."

A week is good for vacation, but the reality of training level 9 (unless you are repeating) too much time off and you wont have your skills. You also need to be in very good physical shape to compete L9 without injury. I dont mean to be a downer, but its a reality-biking, swimming, etc isnt enough at this level if you have more than 2 weeks off. You were not specific about how much time you are taking off, but it sounded substantial. Talk to your coaches now and ask them what you should do.

I'd do some conditioning if your worried about losing your strength. Nothing too hard, just enough to keep your muscles working. You can do plenty of conditioning without equipment

But as others have said, a short break will do you good.

I am training for level 9 this summer and I am going on vacation for around ten days and will be going on various vacations also throughout the summer. I was wondering what are some ways to stay in shape, stay flexible, and be able to go back to gym without being behind?? I wont have any equipment etc. while im on vacation. I don't want to be behind when I get back so let me know if you have any ideas!! :)Thanks!

Alot of the girls my DD knows when they go away for an extended period will have their parents contact local gyms where they are vacationing and make arrangements to do 2 days during the week to practice. So far i don't know of any gym that has refused the girls to come in. Also ask your coach maybe for a conditioning sheet with things she/he would like you to work on while away.

But I agree with everyone else too. A week or so really isn't going to make that big of a difference in the big picture espeically if your very active on the vacation. Take the time off and relax and enjoy.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back