Parents Viewing Priviledges

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
That's an interesting point. There is a lot more communication from teachers than what comes from coaches (there are plenty of threads on here about coaches not communicating). School is much less of a mystery to parents.

And, you can bet if I want to sit and observe my child's class at school, I can do that!!

I hate not being allowed to watch. I do get away with it a bit once a week as I have another daughter who does a rec class at the same gym, so I sit and wait during it as there isn't really enough time to go home. Still, the teamies seem to hide a lot and you can't se much anyway. She is 6,on preteam,no meets yet,and she is NOT the cartwheel around the house kind of kid, so I really have no idea what they are doing there for 9 hours a week!

Our gym has a running track all around the top. You can walk around the top and have a 360* view of the gym. The kids can see up there, but unless they want a sore neck they don't usually bother. The parents can see and hear pretty much everything, but the kids aren't distracted. I'm wondering if this will eventually be relegated to the "parent" area. On the actual gym level, there is a thigh high wall, no glass, and a small parent sitting area. The wall and parent area usually cause the small amount of problems we have, because they are so close to the gymnasts. The signs telling parents to please not coach from the wall as it is dangerous to the gymnasts help, but the type of parents who do that, don't really care what a sign says I've noticed.

thank God, we are welcome any time we want to watch regardless of level. not only that, we are able to be right in the gym on benches, we aren't limited to the 2 behind glass observation areas.. i like it because my dd is young and still wants me there (i stay almost all of the 7 hours/wk!). i like that our gym allows this and that there is such an open atmosphere.. i know the other gyms in our area aren't quite like this, but our gym is known for producing the best gymnasts in our area.

i didn't have time to read the rest of the posts, but i am assuming most gyms in most areas like to limit viewing.

Well just to comment on the school comparison. In our area there is none. My daughter's school encourages and counts on parent help for many things. One of her friend's mom is there for several hours twice a week, and helps administer weekly tests for her reading/vocab group. Her teacher updates his blog and sends an email with the same information to parents every day. Gymnastics is a different animal altogether. I am not qualified nor for liability reasons can I be of any help on the actual gymnastics stuff. Conversation with and communication from the gymnastics coaches is rare. Gymnastics is exponentially more dangerous than school. And it takes up many of the nonwork hours I would otherwise see my daughter. When I do watch her (which is less than she want/asks me to), it's because, well, I miss her. Simple as that. She is on the younger side though. I work all day, she goes to a babysitter before gymnastics, and other than getting homework done, sometimes it feels like we just don't have enough fun activities together. We have recently implemented a twice monthly mommy and me night, which is really fun. So far we have planned a movie, game night, going to a pottery painting place, and walking my sisters dog for the first few... She is on the younger side though. During summer when practice is during the day, I didn't go to the gym at all. During the school year, I watch part of practice probably once a week. Then I go do grocery shopping.

I'm new to competitive gymnastics. My daughter 8 has been at a gym for 2 years now and has started down the competitive road and I was wondering what "best practices" are at other gyms? I've just been informed the parents of competitive children are no longer allowed to view their children training (despite the facility to house spectators and viewing windows) and was wondering if this is common practice at other gyms? Please feel free to comment

Thank You
Tambo

Every gym I know has a policy on viewing for competitive team. The one that seems most common is 15 min at the start and 15 min at the end of practice and usually the last practice of the month the whole practice can be observed.

I've been in this with son and DD for over 15 years now and I don't know of a gym that doesn't have something like that. After all this time I can see why too. There are alot of crazy gym parents out there and if they watch the whole practice everytime they start coaching from the sidelines and becoming a distraction for the kids. It really is much better for the kids if the parents go off while they are at practice so they can give 100% of their focus to the coaches instead of looking for mom or dad and their approval. As you get further along and have more time in the team world you will see it really is for the best for your child. With that said if this is a new gym for you then there should be some allowance so you can get to know the coaches and staff so you can trust them. The same if your child is coming home with strange complaints or stories that just hit a red flag then its time to take some time and cop a look.

But it is very common practice in most of the gyms I've seen.

Every gym I know has a policy on viewing for competitive team. The one that seems most common is 15 min at the start and 15 min at the end of practice and usually the last practice of the month the whole practice can be observed.

I've been in this with son and DD for over 15 years now and I don't know of a gym that doesn't have something like that. After all this time I can see why too. There are alot of crazy gym parents out there and if they watch the whole practice everytime they start coaching from the sidelines and becoming a distraction for the kids. It really is much better for the kids if the parents go off while they are at practice so they can give 100% of their focus to the coaches instead of looking for mom or dad and their approval. As you get further along and have more time in the team world you will see it really is for the best for your child. With that said if this is a new gym for you then there should be some allowance so you can get to know the coaches and staff so you can trust them. The same if your child is coming home with strange complaints or stories that just hit a red flag then its time to take some time and cop a look.

But it is very common practice in most of the gyms I've seen.

Our gym doesn't have a policy like this and, in fact, brags about having open viewing (with bleachers for parents and all). I honestly haven't seen problems with team parents at all (the few I've seen coaching from the sidelines aren't team parents, but I will admit I am rarely there anymore), but I know the owners/head coaches would have no problem speaking to the parents involved, if there were an issue.

Just to clarify...limiting viewing time is NOT common everywhere. I don't know of any gyms in my area that have a policy on this. I guess I would have to accept it if it was the only option I had, but I wouldn't be happy about it. And just because many gyms allow viewing anytime, it doesn't mean those gyms are filled with CGMs. If they did, I'm sure the gym would limit viewing.

I was posting in response to Gymbee97's post, but I can't quote from my phone.

We have been in 2 gyms, and ds has been competing for 5 years, and we have never had a viewing policy. There are many parents that stay, or hang out, etc. It is quite common. The other gym in town does not have a policy, nor do most of the gyms around us.

When looking at competitive gyms we had an opportunity to attend a gym with a no-viewing policy. We said thanks but no thanks. When my girls are at the gym, if I have the chance to I stay to watch, just like the boys soccer/football/hockey. While the sports are extremely different, the principle behind a parent being there to support their child does not differ. Yes there are crazy gym moms, but so are there crazy football dads. One must just deal.

Gyms around here seem to be mixed when it comes to parent viewing - some allow it no problem, and some strictly forbid it. My daughter has trained at gyms w/ both policies. I personally prefer being able to observe, and not being able to observe at her old gym was a significant factor in why we switched. I basically got tired of trying to interpret/imagine what's really happening behind those closed doors when my 9 year old tells me on the ride home that her coach doesn't like her and won't let her work on new skills even though she's totally ready...this stuff went on for over 6 months (she was at this gym for ~2.5 years) and I just had to take her somewhere where I could observe what's really going on. That said, I can see why some gyms wouldn't like parents watching - for instance, if parents don't watch, they can't question the coaches' methods, they can't complain about favoritism (whether it's real or imagined), and they can't distract their children or cause them to loose their focus. I haven't really met any high drama gym parents yet (guess I've been fortunate in that respect ;)), but I can see where parent veiwing would contribute to that type of thing as well.

Our gym has a mixed viewing policy. They don't allow viewing on one day a week and the reason is that the upstairs where the viewing area is is used by the gymnasts that night for extra dance. Other than that, parents can view anytime they like. Most do not but could if they wanted to.

We used to be able to stay and watch if we wanted to, but the coaches were finding it hard with all the extra bodies in the gym -it just isn't big enough, and the parents had to sit right next to the floor and bars. Even the rec parents were kicked out. Although it isn't expressly stated, I know that the coach doesn't mind team parents there in the last 15 - 30 minutes because by then all the rec kids have left and the gym is much quieter. On the 2 days a week that I go running while DD is at gym, I get to the gym about 30 minutes before the end, so I get to see 15 minutes of either floor or beam and then the last 15 minutes is stretching. We are also free to talk to the head coach at the beginning of each training session because the girls usually do the first part of the warm-up by themselves or with one of the other coaches and so she isn't really coaching yet. If we had a concern about DD and we wanted to observe for a while, I am sure it wouldn't be an issue if we asked the HC. The HC is just trying to cut down on the distractions and the sheer number of bodies in our small gym.

Just to clarify...limiting viewing time is NOT common everywhere. I don't know of any gyms in my area that have a policy on this. I guess I would have to accept it if it was the only option I had, but I wouldn't be happy about it. And just because many gyms allow viewing anytime, it doesn't mean those gyms are filled with CGMs. If they did, I'm sure the gym would limit viewing.

Our gym doesn't have a viewing restriction either and thankfully we also don't have CGM's (or Dad's). Sure, there's the occasional snarky person, but it is rare and definitely not the norm. I love the other team (and Rec!) parents and enjoy talking with them. I often stay for practice, at least for part of the time, but I don't watch my daughter like a hawk...I talk, help with whatever needs doing, play with the little sibs, work, etc. I catch a series or a routine here and there, but I would never dream of making coaching cat calls from the side. I honestly can't imagine anyone doing that...if they did, it would not go over well I'm sure. Our coaches are awesome and they don't need any assistance from the peanut gallery. Everyone instinctively seems to know that and I have never seen that happen.

I guess it isn't the 'norm', but I'm glad it is that way for our gym....I would not like the restriction and I would not do well if the other team parents were crazy either. Counting my blessings!

Last edited:
I was thinking about this last night. Our gym actually has two treadmills for team parents who would like to get some exercise while their daughter is workingout.

We have been in 2 gyms, and ds has been competing for 5 years, and we have never had a viewing policy. There are many parents that stay, or hang out, etc. It is quite common. The other gym in town does not have a policy, nor do most of the gyms around us.

Guess it just depends on where you live what is common for the gyms in my area it is very common to have the viewing policy. It usually comes in when parents are coaching alot from the sidelines or are too much a distractor factor for the kids.

I will add that while our gym has a "policy" that allows viewing of one practice per month, many people view more. Some people travel from an hour away and there are only so many errands you can run. They often stay for much of the practice, most of the time. No one is ever forbidden or kicked out. The point of the policy is this...progress takes time and skills take 100s of repititions to achieve. That being said, it is nice to be there the day your DD gets her kip for the first time, for example. I think the viewing policy for most gyms tries to address a couple of things. 1) How much of YOUR personal time is spent with gymnastics. It is one thing for the gymmie to commit 15 hours a week, but it is not necessary for the parent to do that! 2) Constantly watching your gymmie practice might lead to CGM syndrome...just saying...;)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back