Views on Injuries..

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi all -

My DD, 16 year old L9, is currently sidelined with tendonitis. She needs to take a 2 week break. DH and I are fine with it.. If she needs more time, she gets it.. whatever it takes to make her healthy (And keep her from damage in the future).

Unfortunately, her coach is never understanding about injuries. Especially, Tendonitis. It is like he sees it as something kids can just 'work though' He actually told her that she has the lowest pain tolerance of anyone he has met. (I disagree i think she has a pretty High pain tolerance). When she goes to practice and shows him the note that says she is off for 2 weeks it isnt going to be pretty.

I know injuries can be frustrating for coaches, in my view they are MORE Frustrating for the gymnast. Especially a gymnast that has been around the block a time or two. A gymnast that is finally making some progress on a beam flight !

I know I can't Change HC's view on injuries. But are there tips/suggestions/ more ideas that I can use to help HC see that DD isn't just 'being a drama queen'?

Any thoughts/ comments are welcome...

actually, yes! instruct the coach to take his own butt out on the floor and perform the same things that your daughter is doing right alongside her. over and over, day after day. and then tell him to get back to you...:)

You are the parent and you and your husband are the ones who are responsible for your dd's health. Do what you and your husband decide is best for her. This is not a time for the coach's input. Good luck to you and your family.

unfortunatly coaches see the comp season around the corner and being out usually means a set back. I don't know of any coach that like a gymnast out. Most aren't the most understanding from the ones I've met. Usually I talk to the coach so my DD doesn't have to deal with the BS.

I don't know the answer, but I really empathise! My DD's coach injured her hamstring in May by pulling hard during a stretch. DD had physio and eventually recovered most of her skills, but it took a long time and only got to 90% healed, so we have been seeing a neuromuscular therapist with good results. During that time we instructed her coaches that she should not be doing hamstring stretches and certain other moves that hurt it. After several weeks of resting it from stretching, it seemed to have finally recovered and we were just beginning to work on improving her hamstring flexibility with good results.

So on Tuesday, her other coach decides to push her down hard in splits - ping! - hamstring pain reappears. I was so angry that night I couldn't sleep. I immediately sent an email to both of her coaches. Today I am considering sending another email telling them that from now on there is to be no pushing in stretches for her, ever, permanently. I think is just too dangerous for her. As a parent, your child's health is your responsibility and I think coaches need to respect that and work with you, not against you.

have them take a pelvic xray and check her ischium. don't be concerned with the "rads". and don't let them talk you out of it.:)

I don't like a gymnast out of gym but many coaches don't get it.

It really is a meat grinder. You're gymnast is the meat. They either flourish or flounder. We're not in state sponsored gymnastics here in the states but it can be that way with many coaches and gyms.

That HC is probably hopeless. Just saying as they are probably ignorant.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back