WAG Warm-Up/Gym Bag Preferences

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I am in the process of getting warmups and bags for my girls and wanted to get some input on what you/your gymmies prefer. Cost is a huge priority here- we want to keep warm-ups and gym bag under $80 total- perhaps a bit of a stretch but I'm going to try! I am open to just doing a jacket and black leggings the kids already own if necessary. I want to get preferences from parents and kids as to what they would actually like and use and be worth the money. I might throw it out to my team parents but want to have it narrowed down.
So what do you/your child/your gymnasts prefer in terms of bags? A duffle type bag, backpack, simple drawstring bag? Any styles you love?
And what about warm-ups- a jacket and leggings? A full warm-up set like those from GTM Sportswear? Something totally different?

Our girls can pick between a duffle and a string bag. We have a local embroidery shop that customizes them with the logo and the child's name. The string bag was less then $20, the duffle was around $35 I think. The warm-ups were expensive, but most of that was the jacket. The leggings from GK were $30, and the jacket was $105.

Our boys have duffles, but given the opportunity , they plan to switch to backpacks when they can. The backpacks are easier to travel with.

We do the full warm ups, but keep the same ones for about 5 years (and we sell outgrown ones at 1/2 price at leo fitting) The pants are about 22$, the jacket is pricey, but that it largely b/c of the bling on the back. I think our warm up set runs about 120. Our level 5+ also get the capri length leggings.
We have duffle bags and we (moms) like them b/c they fit grips, tiger paws, hair kit, shoes and a snack/water bottle.
Our coaches want to get everything new this year (we are on year 4 of our warm ups and it is a new leo year - we do every other) There is push back b/c of the large cost of doing it all in one year. THey also want to do UA which is the "in thing" apparently. But the backpacks will not afford the space that our duffles do now and will mean more moms lugging coats and shoes around.
I applaud you for getting input and not thinking that wallets are bottomless.

Ours is a backpack, similar to this. We have 2 size options. I forget the price though. It wasn't cheap, but its well made and well worth it. Has our logo and Littles name. I love this one, plenty of room. We put her shoes where the ball is. Which I love because the shoes don't mix with the other things (especially nice in winter).

http://www.amazon.com/Diadora-99848...d=1431522383&sr=1-12&keywords=sports+backpack

For warm ups I like a wider leg. Easier to get in and out of. Less likely to end up inside out. We have actual warm up pants. Again our meets are mostly in the winter and no one usually wears coats into the venue but we have to walk abit at times from the lots so I like that we have something a bit heavier. But if we were going with something like leggings. I would prefer a yoga pant cut. JMO Ours are monogramed so no reselling. But saves a nightmare of which leo is which kids at meets.

We have duffle bags that are monogrammed and warm ups from GTM. Duffle runs $40 but there are times that I wish the lower levels had backpacks because the duffle is big for them to carry. It is nice for travelling but we basically just use ours for gym to make them last longer. Our warmup set has the team logo but not gymnast names so they can be resold, and the set was $60. Our gym tries to keep the same style as long as possible to keep costs down. Our higher level gymnasts got new warmup suits this year that were about $200.

Ours is a backpack, similar to this. We have 2 size options. I forget the price though. It wasn't cheap, but its well made and well worth it. Has our logo and Littles name. I love this one, plenty of room. We put her shoes where the ball is. Which I love because the shoes don't mix with the other things (especially nice in winter).

http://www.amazon.com/Diadora-99848...d=1431522383&sr=1-12&keywords=sports+backpack

For warm ups I like a wider leg. Easier to get in and out of. Less likely to end up inside out. We have actual warm up pants. Again our meets are mostly in the winter and no one usually wears coats into the venue but we have to walk abit at times from the lots so I like that we have something a bit heavier. But if we were going with something like leggings. I would prefer a yoga pant cut. JMO Ours are monogramed so no reselling. But saves a nightmare of which leo is which kids at meets.

ooh I really like that bag. I would be tempted to use the ball pocket for handguard bags though as they get chalky and stinky.

We have expensive warm-ups, with bling. But another local gym, whose L1's wore warm ups (we didn't get them until level 3), had simple black Adidas ones, and apparently had their logo placed on the back (maybe even ironed on). Much more cost effective when having even the little ones buy them.

Kudos to coachmolly for considering the cost and looking to repurpose other clothing :)

Can't comment on warmups and pants...as for the backpack/gym bag topic...
Over the years, my daughters have had:
* cordura-based duffel (Western Pack) -- this one was a bit smaller (18"?) so it kept its form and structure even when not full. Held up better than the later bags they had. I know this is silly, but at this gym, when the team put all their bags together in a row, it looked good!
* light pack-cloth duffel (Nike) -- flopped over and looked bad if not full--which was most of the time because this one was too big
* pack-cloth duffel (unknown brand) -- same comments as for light pack-cloth. end-zip shoe compartment was nice, as was water bottle holder. large enough to hold everything for a travel meet, but she usually packed a separate travel bag and left this for gym stuff only.
* draw-strap backpack (GK?) -- almost useless. wouldn't stand up, not compartmentalized and just one zippered pocket on the back.
* backpack (Addidas) -- OK...stands on its own, reasonably sized for meet supplies, snacks, but no water bottle holder. Fortunately, it is also large enough to handle school work that must go with her on travel meets. However, the straps on this bag are thinly padded so heavy loads become uncomfortable.

OK...I know the features add cost, but here would be my idea of "ideal" based on the way my kid travels to meets:
* duffel bag. moderate size--16" or 18" long (offering a smaller and larger size bag for younger to older girls would be a plus)
* zippered compartment on each end. one could be (not critical) a shoe bag going into main body
* one zippered compartment on front, about 3/4 of length
* water bottle holder on front with drawstring to secure bottle
* one or more small zippered compartment inside main body

Boy I wish someone had asked us before deciding on a team bag. DD has this huge duffle -- I could pack a full weekend trip in it. In fact, the running joke is that the littler kids on the team are smaller than their bags, and a couple of the little girls have even been carried around by the bigger ones in their bags. So, crazy big. But they only have to hold a snack, water bottle, warm ups and grip bag, so they could be a quarter of the size. And they are big enough they get in the way, bump into other kids. Annoying. I really covet the backpack styles that some of the other gyms use. Note that our meets are always reasonably local if that makes a difference.

I prefer the back pack. The duffle is a problem as my little gymmie cannot tighten the strap enough to not have it hit her in the back of the knees as she walks. So I end up carrying it half the time.

I have seen the sting bags and like this as well.

We have a huge duffel that is beig as some of the little girls. Most want to go to the backpack style. Our warm ups are a team jacket $100 and leggings $30 all GK. They leggings are impractical since our competition season is in winter and we get lots of snow with very cold temps. All of the parents rolled their eyes when the decision was made to go to leggings. But the older girls wanted them so we got them...

We have the Underarmour Hustle backpacks. They have our team logo on them. I LOVE these bags. They fit a surprising amount of stuff. And there are separate compartments for her snacks, grip bag, shoes, water bottle etc. We get them for $49 each, which I don't think is too bad. The same bag will be used indefinitely as far as I know.
We save on the warmups. We use black leggings that are $10. All the girls wear the same ones, but they're not GK or anything, just basic leggings. They can be easily replaced at a sporting goods store whenever necessary. We do have fancy jackets, not bling-y but athletic looking with our team name and logo, and those are $60. They are not monogrammed so there are opportunities to buy/sell used ones. We've had the same jacket for 3 years. I don't know when it's going to be replaced.
I really appreciate that our team considers cost to families.

Our warm ups are a jacket with capri pants plus traditional warm up pants. Our HC said she was tired of the girls "looking like ragamuffins" walking in with different color of sweat pants over their capris so they are supposed to arrive dressed in their leo with capris on and their jackets. If it is cold, they are to wear their pants.

When they go to the competition, they take off their pants, put them in their GIGANTIC duffle bags and go do intros and warm ups in their capris and leos. If it is cold, they will keep their jackets on but shed even those as it warms up. During timed warm ups, they take off capris and stay in their leos from then on out.

As for a bag, please do NOT get a duffle bag large enough that the gymnasts can fit into said bags. I am not exaggerating one bit but last year, my daughter was able to tuck herself into her bag and had a teammate zip her up. The bigger girls look okay (not great) carrying them, but my daughter and most of the compulsories look ridiculous.

We've had the drawstring ones and they seemed a bit small for everything DD likes to take. Between grip bags, tiger paws, water bottle, warm ups, change of clothes, plus her lovey, we need more space than a drawstring bag.

I wish we would have gone with a backpack. UnderArmour preferably but still a backpack.

What level is your team? I think young girls in a low level can do string bags. They don't need to carry much and string bags are cheap and can be embroidered with gymmie's name and gym logo.

I would want a bigger bag for older girls. I would also prefer a back pack.

Backpack is great for travel meets. Much prefer that! And our girls would have loved black leggings and a jacket

My dd has a huge backpack (she was a level 2 last season). It really is too big imo. It looks crazy with them carrying it on their back and, honestly, they don't have much to put in it so it was pretty empty. I know they will use it for a couple of years at least, but I think a string bag would have been better for their age/size.

For warmups, they had a full set they had to buy. I don't really understand the need for them either. They only wore them to show up and for a few minutes in the beginning. Then they were taken off and thrown into the huge bag. She loves them though. :)

I think a jacket and black capri is a great way to go. GTM's jackets are very affordable.

I agree with a backpack too.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back