Parents Was a little blown away. Okay..maybe alot.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

In my opinion, bribes and rewards are really one in the same. Over time, whatever you are bribing or rewarding for loses it's intrinsic value. Used very sparingly they can be effective, but usually it is a slippery slope to more and more. You end up with people that can't do anything without expecting something in return. Yuck. I can't say I have never rewarded my kid with something, but it has been very infrequent and never discussed beforehand. Surprise rewards are good. And if you do it every time, it is no longer a surprise. :)

My kid gets a lot from gymnastics and she needs to learn to be happy with that. She is also very lucky to get to DO gymnastics so I make sure she realizes that, too.

I'm going to disagree with you a bit that it becomes a slippery slope where people can't do anything without expecting something in return.

When my DD had just started gymnastics she had lots of problems with standing in line and waiting and paying attention. I used many incentives to improve this behavior. The behavior became habit and the incentives disappeared. She was 4 years old at this time I'm speaking of. By 5 there was rarely a problem and by 6, never a problem. She has not had a single 4 hour practice in the past 6-8 months where this was ever a problem. So encouraging her to behave and work hard with little treats didn't affect her ability to grow and function without any outside incentive. It helped her focus on positive behaviors until they became a habit. My DD might not be the best gymnast in the world, but I hear nothing but amazement from her coaches about how focused she is for a 6 year old. They are truly blown away by how mature she is, how hard she works and how well she listens and takes corrections.

My point is that young children often need incentives to perform desired behaviors. Now if my DD were older and I was having to "encourage" her to focus and behave at practice and work hard, I wouldn't feel the same way. At that point I would feel like she didn't want to be there and it wasn't the activity for her.

I don't feel like kids should be rewarded for meets or scores. If a kid needs money to try hard at a meet, why are they there? I agree with that 100%.

NGL- I don't mind anyone disagreeing with me!

I can tell you the same story about my kid, started gym at 4, was on level 4 by age 5, had issues with focus (and still does if she is overtired or hungry!), playing around in line, etc. I dealt with it differently, just talked to her about what was expected and that gym is a privilege. Gave her goals to works towards and made sure I caught her being good and would say something to her after practice like "I bet Ms. T was impressed with how well you focused today," or "You got more turns today since you were waiting in line and paying attention, wasn't that fun?" She has learned to focus better and now at age 8, her coach always tells me how well she listens and pays attention. :) So it can be done without incentives, bribes or rewards. ;) I think her gym does some rewards (like winning a strength contest they might get a popsicle, etc), but I avoid rewards for the most part. Just a difference in parenting styles. We follow the gentle discipline philosophy in our home and avoid rewards (not always, but for the most part), too.

I do agree it can be a slippery slope. I've found my DD trying to 'bargain up' the reward at times, and I've had to talk about this with her because it can't keep getting bigger and bigger. With my DD, she still wants to be doing gym, she isn't just doing it for the reward, so the reward is like the 'icing on the cake'. It's more for encouragement or to celebrate, not to push her into doing something. She still gets a buzz out of the achievement itself. But when the reward becomes more important than the activity or achievement, something has gone wrong.

As for those parents berating their kids for falling off the beam, that is truly horrible. Last year my DD messed up her vault in the first competition. We were both feeling a little disappointed but talked it over afterwards and tried to look at it objectively, as something she could try to improve next time. She did well in the other events and so we focussed on that. How is making your kid feel like a failure helpful? That is why I would never set expectations about specific scores, such as 9s. I don't want her to feel like a failure, she is too hard on herself already.

Just like in everything else, all kids are different and what works for one kid won't work for another. I'm a teacher so I experience this everyday. I find with the kinder kids incentives for the right behavior works much better than punishment for the wrong behavior. Something as small as a sticker for walking down the hallway to gym correctly goes a long way with kids that age. Most kids would do it correctly without the sticker. Some will work really hard to meet the expectation because of the sticker and others you could give them a million dollar shopping spree to Toys r us and they still won't do what you want. Obviously the OP was talking about something extreme and we all agree that is wrong.

Mariposa you found that just talking to your DD helped her. That did not help mine gain a little focus, but her knowing that maybe she could get something from the snack machine after practice if she refrained from playing most of practice did help her. And honestly looking back at that time when DD had some focus issues that were obviously perfectly normal for her age, I completely blame the class she was in. Those are strong words I know, but I've seem what a gym class for a 4 year old should look like since then. Having 10-12 girls around 4-6 years old is way too many for a high school kid to handle, especially if they are spending most of their time waiting for their turn. The group was way too big and was poorly managed.

We seem to have this thread every few months and it's the same conversation over and over. I think the bottom line is if you are having to bribe your child to be in this sport and work hard and give effort, there's a problem. I will never see anything wrong with giving some incentives to get through some tough times. I bribe myself on a daily basis to do things that I don't want to do, or don't feel motivated to do. If I get the whole downstairs clean instead of sitting on CB for most of the morning, I'm treating myself with a coke zero from Sonic!

NGL...you mean I have to CLEAN before I get to treat myself!? I don't like that!!! lol. I can't function without my coffee in the morning, so I look at that as a necessity, not a treat ;)

Today, at our little in house meet, the preschoolers did a little show (while the kids were waiting for the scores to be counted). Afterward, they all got a goodie bag and a little plastice medal (not a REAL medal like the other kids) My ds5 looked at it and said, "its a fake medal! I wanted a real one" well, I offhandedly said, "you didn't really compete, now did you? so why do you think it should be a real medal?" He accepted that and said, "when I work hard and move to the "real" boys class, then I can earn my medal. good teaching point today, I believe!!

Just like in everything else, all kids are different and what works for one kid won't work for another. I'm a teacher so I experience this everyday. I find with the kinder kids incentives for the right behavior works much better than punishment for the wrong behavior. Something as small as a sticker for walking down the hallway to gym correctly goes a long way with kids that age. Most kids would do it correctly without the sticker. Some will work really hard to meet the expectation because of the sticker and others you could give them a million dollar shopping spree to Toys r us and they still won't do what you want. Obviously the OP was talking about something extreme and we all agree that is wrong.

Mariposa you found that just talking to your DD helped her. That did not help mine gain a little focus, but her knowing that maybe she could get something from the snack machine after practice if she refrained from playing most of practice did help her. And honestly looking back at that time when DD had some focus issues that were obviously perfectly normal for her age, I completely blame the class she was in. Those are strong words I know, but I've seem what a gym class for a 4 year old should look like since then. Having 10-12 girls around 4-6 years old is way too many for a high school kid to handle, especially if they are spending most of their time waiting for their turn. The group was way too big and was poorly managed.

We seem to have this thread every few months and it's the same conversation over and over. I think the bottom line is if you are having to bribe your child to be in this sport and work hard and give effort, there's a problem. I will never see anything wrong with giving some incentives to get through some tough times. I bribe myself on a daily basis to do things that I don't want to do, or don't feel motivated to do. If I get the whole downstairs clean instead of sitting on CB for most of the morning, I'm treating myself with a coke zero from Sonic!

I find that more often than not when I visit the CB, as I read through the comments I think I agree wih one person, and then before long I read the opposing view and I see that poster's merit and change my mind. Maybe I'm just wishy-washy!

Here's my take...I think NGL has it nailed. What works for some kids doesn't work for other kids and what works for some parents doesn't work for other parents. I personally don't agree with routine bribery, but have used it on occasion. I don't believe I'd pay my dd $20 for each 9 scored, but I did buy her a new leo in celebration of being invited to the L4 team. I think the pins for 9s is reasonable as a reward and I might even look into that (they've got to be cheaper than leos!). I don't think you are insane if you buy your kid an iPod for winning state or getting all As. I figure that's your business and your money, and I think there is sometimes a backstory that sometimes outsiders don't know that might change their opinion of a parental choice if all facts and circumstances were on the table. This is why, in general, I shy away from saying "I would never" or "it is crazy to" fill in the blank. Mainly because I figure someday I might get in a situation where I do exactly what I swore I wouldn't do and have to eat my words. (Obviously I am not talking about abuse and the like)

So, while it may be wishy-washy (I already admitted this), I think there are circumstances where bribery and rewards are appropriate and times when they are not. But I don't figure it's my place to tell YOU when that is for your family. As or the OP, the coach didn't ask that they stop bribing, just that they not advertise it, which is likely a good way to handle the situation lest he be accused of telling a parent how to parent their own child.

A novel thought occurred to me when reading all the posts about not using rewards and it was triggered by the one about the little boy not getting the "real" medal. Aren't medals an integral part of gymnastics? Aren't they the ultimate "bribe"? It seems if you are adamantly opposed to a reward system that you would be against medals. I'm against participation medals (and that will draw ire and possibly spawn a hate thread...LOL...but once they are in real competitions I think participation medals are patronizing), but I think working toward and earning a medal is a beautiful thing and has potential to be a great character builder. I don't see a new Leo or a pin as much different.

The good news is, everyone has a right to disagree with me because that is why we come here...to hear differing opinions. I love that about the CB. It would be boring if we all agreed!

I don't consider rewards to be the same as bribery. Bribery occurs before the action. A reward occurs after. Bribes attempt to influence behavior whereas rewards reflect what has already happened.

I might reward my daughter but it is always as a surprise so that she doesn't come to expect it.

OK WatchThisMom, since you've invited comments...

I totally agree with you that what parents do with their own children (short of abuse and the like) is their business. Live and let live. So long as it doesn't impact me and my kid, not my concern. However, it is my personal opinion that participation medals at meets are not patronizing. First of all, they are given out to mostly little kids. Where I live at least, they are given out to all L4s at meets. By L5 not every meet recognizes every participant. And maybe that's OK. But again, just my opinion, at L4 when most of the kids are young and just really getting into the competitive aspect of the sport, it is nice to not be excluded because they weren't "good enough" on that particular day. And medals are a recognition of all of the hard work they put in not only at that meet but also just to get there. Obviously every kid out on the floor has spent countless hours in the gym working routines. I've seen videos posted here on CB that were not top scorers but were tributes to beautiful gymnastics (in my eyes). To say that giving them tangible recognition of that is patronizing them just doesn't sit well with me. And your rationale that it is better to work towards and earn that medal is just not possible for every child. Some very well may perform at their potential each and every meet and still not place. Certainly doesn't mean that they are not putting in the effort. In fact, those kids may not have as much natural talent and may in fact be putting in even more effort. And obviously the kids (and parents) can figure out who placed and who was recognized for participation. It doesn't take away from the kids who had their time on the podium.

Certainly not looking to further a debate. Everyone is of course entitled to their own opinion. For me, I am just not a competitive person by nature. Although I've been to more meets than I can count, I'm still in awe of each child every time- from the gymnast who places first through the one who places last. All of them get a medal in my eyes for getting out there.

This is why, in general, I shy away from saying "I would never" or "it is crazy to" fill in the blank. Mainly because I figure someday I might get in a situation where I do exactly what I swore I wouldn't do and have to eat my words. (Obviously I am not talking about abuse and the like)

I agree 100%! There are so many things I "knew" about parenting before I became a parent. Or rules I made, as a parent, that I "knew" I would never change. But every kid is different. What works on one kids, doesn't work on another, and what works on a kid when they're 3 may or may not work when they're 5. As small children, "time outs" worked so well for my children. They went to "the step" immediately, and sat there weeping with remorse until I told them they could get up (one minute per year of age, etc.). My brother's kids... unless you were to sit ON TOP of them, there was NO WAY they were going to sit in time out. So he spanked them. I don't "believe" in spanking. But what would I have done if my kids wouldn't stay in time out? I don't know, and my nephews seem to be growing into lovely boys (well, one of them, at any rate... jury is still out on the younger one...) so I try not to judge.

And, just to play devil's advocate, I would say that, because the kids know ahead of time that if they do well (and not just their own personal best here... they have to be BETTER than most of the other kids) they will get a medal or medals and maybe even a trophy. So doesn't the fact that the promise of medals for "the best" competitors, make it a bribe to a certain extent?

But, just to show I can be wishy-washy too, I would say that the difference is that the medals and the trophies come from within the sport. I think that, as parents, our job is different. Part of the sport (any sport), I think, is helping kids learn about winning and losing and the lessons that come from each. I think our job as parents is to celebrate the personal victories and the fight well fought, even if that doesn't result in a "win." And I think that each parent needs to choose for him or herself how to celebrate that with their child... a big hug or ice cream or a pin or a leo or whatever.

For myself, I feel like I did let this spiral out of control a bit. Next season, I think I will stick with pins (no pun intended). She loves them and they're cheap and they're fun to put on her gym bag. And the last two years I have bought her a leo to give her after States, so I will probably continue that tradition (if she makes it to States). Oh, and she'll need a level 6 bear to add to her collection... see, here I go, spiraling out of control again! :)

I don't consider rewards to be the same as bribery. Bribery occurs before the action. A reward occurs after. Bribes attempt to influence behavior whereas rewards reflect what has already happened.

I might reward my daughter but it is always as a surprise so that she doesn't come to expect it.

Bella's Mom, I agree to an extent...as it was pointed out before though, if you routinely reward, doesn't that become a bribe? Because if they know they will get something (a pin) if they get a certain score (a 9), then doesn't it influence the behavior?

Your point is well taken, though... If it is always a surprise then I agree it is not a bribe. Besides, I've already admitted that I do it sometimes myself. But I think there is a different intent at play here. If you're rewarding (or bribing) to motivate or encourage, isn't that totally different than bribing your dd or ds to get them to do gym in the first place? In that case, I would agree that it's I'll advised. They definitely have to want it intrinsically--an iPad won't give desire where there is none...but it might ignite a fire that is there but not thriving...I don't know. I can see it both ways. My dd sure worked hard for that leo, but I have a pretty good feeling that she would have anyway...it just gave her something to strive for.

I love civil debate! And to be honest, I'm really not adamant either way...in fact...

OK WatchThisMom, since you've invited comments...

I totally agree with you that what parents do with their own children (short of abuse and the like) is their business. Live and let live. So long as it doesn't impact me and my kid, not my concern. However, it is my personal opinion that participation medals at meets are not patronizing. First of all, they are given out to mostly little kids. Where I live at least, they are given out to all L4s at meets. By L5 not every meet recognizes every participant. And maybe that's OK. But again, just my opinion, at L4 when most of the kids are young and just really getting into the competitive aspect of the sport, it is nice to not be excluded because they weren't "good enough" on that particular day. And medals are a recognition of all of the hard work they put in not only at that meet but also just to get there. Obviously every kid out on the floor has spent countless hours in the gym working routines. I've seen videos posted here on CB that were not top scorers but were tributes to beautiful gymnastics (in my eyes). To say that giving them tangible recognition of that is patronizing them just doesn't sit well with me. And your rationale that it is better to work towards and earn that medal is just not possible for every child. Some very well may perform at their potential each and every meet and still not place. Certainly doesn't mean that they are not putting in the effort. In fact, those kids may not have as much natural talent and may in fact be putting in even more effort. And obviously the kids (and parents) can figure out who placed and who was recognized for participation. It doesn't take away from the kids who had their time on the podium.

Certainly not looking to further a debate. Everyone is of course entitled to their own opinion. For me, I am just not a competitive person by nature. Although I've been to more meets than I can count, I'm still in awe of each child every time- from the gymnast who places first through the one who places last. All of them get a medal in my eyes for getting out there.

GymnastJoy, I told you I was wishy-washy! When you present it like that, I find it difficult to disagree about the participation trophies. I hope you recognize that for a compliment because I'm sincere. Sometimes people who disagree have a hard time expressing it civilly, and you're right...I asked for comments! However, here is the reasoning behind my opinion.

I don't begrudge kids who have worked so many hours their time in the spotlight. I really don't--especially the tinies who aren't old enough to really understand. And I totally get that some kids may never make it to that podium and so may never get s medal if not for the participation medal (mine hasn't competed yet, so she may be one of them!) However, and this goes for baseball, softball, soccer, etc, where do you draw the line? It's a difficult and touchy subject I've found--I even argue with my own conscience sometimes. But at some point in life kids do have to come to terms with the fact that eventually there is a hierarchy and figure out where they fit into it. I do NOT mean quit gym because you don't win...absolutely not. But if they want to be on the podium (so to speak) and it isn't happening in gymnastics, maybe there is an opportunity elsewhere to excel and make it to that podium if that is what they want. Gym can continue to be a passion even if the winning piece doesn't work out. It's not always about the destination...it's the journey.

So here is where i might offend, and i really don't mean to, but I won't lie, I am, by nature, a competitive person as are all 3 of my kids and my dh. I am not a "win at all costs" or a "if you're not first, you're last" person. But I do think it serves kids well to learn relatively early (how early is debatable, I agree) that the world does not reward everyone who comes to the game. There does come a day where you won't make the team, you won't get into the college, you won't get the job if you're not what's considered "the best.". My older son got cut during basketball tryouts in 7th grade...it was heart breaking. But he didn't give up, he tried out in 8th and guess what? He got cut again! But he tried out for QB in 7th grade and got put at wide receiver instead and was bummed out, then in 8th he tried out at QB again and made the A team. Kids are more resilient than we think, but if we never let them experience disappointment, they never learn that they can handle it. And they can. I know I did. we never got participation trophies when I was a kid and I think I turned out okay (you may think THAT is debatable!). ;)

Sorry I've highjacked the thread...this is just something that I struggle with because I CAN see both sides, and when age appropriate, the participation medals do not bother me, but as the sport progresses, I just think they do more harm than good.

I hope I have not made enemies...I learn so much from others' points of view here.

I've seen videos posted here on CB that were not top scorers but were tributes to beautiful gymnastics (in my eyes)....

...Although I've been to more meets than I can count, I'm still in awe of each child every time- from the gymnast who places first through the one who places last. All of them get a medal in my eyes for getting out there.

And just to further demonstrate that I really am not heartless and cruel, let me just say that I thought this was a beautiful post and I totally agree. You have a beautiful way with words...

It doesn't take away from the kids who had their time on the podium.

I totally 100% agree with this statement and I hope my statement about my feelings regarding participation trophies did not give the impression that I thought they took away from the ones on the podium. I don't believe that at all. I dislike them because I feel it's hard to break that habit of receiving an award no matter what and if done too long can lead to more disappointment down the road.

I find that more often than not when I visit the CB, as I read through the comments I think I agree wih one person, and then before long I read the opposing view and I see that poster's merit and change my mind. Maybe I'm just wishy-washy!

Here's my take...I think NGL has it nailed. What works for some kids doesn't work for other kids and what works for some parents doesn't work for other parents. I personally don't agree with routine bribery, but have used it on occasion. I don't believe I'd pay my dd $20 for each 9 scored, but I did buy her a new leo in celebration of being invited to the L4 team. I think the pins for 9s is reasonable as a reward and I might even look into that (they've got to be cheaper than leos!). I don't think you are insane if you buy your kid an iPod for winning state or getting all As. I figure that's your business and your money, and I think there is sometimes a backstory that sometimes outsiders don't know that might change their opinion of a parental choice if all facts and circumstances were on the table. This is why, in general, I shy away from saying "I would never" or "it is crazy to" fill in the blank. Mainly because I figure someday I might get in a situation where I do exactly what I swore I wouldn't do and have to eat my words. (Obviously I am not talking about abuse and the like)

So, while it may be wishy-washy (I already admitted this), I think there are circumstances where bribery and rewards are appropriate and times when they are not. But I don't figure it's my place to tell YOU when that is for your family. As or the OP, the coach didn't ask that they stop bribing, just that they not advertise it, which is likely a good way to handle the situation lest he be accused of telling a parent how to parent their own child.

A novel thought occurred to me when reading all the posts about not using rewards and it was triggered by the one about the little boy not getting the "real" medal. Aren't medals an integral part of gymnastics? Aren't they the ultimate "bribe"? It seems if you are adamantly opposed to a reward system that you would be against medals. I'm against participation medals (and that will draw ire and possibly spawn a hate thread...LOL...but once they are in real competitions I think participation medals are patronizing), but I think working toward and earning a medal is a beautiful thing and has potential to be a great character builder. I don't see a new Leo or a pin as much different.

The good news is, everyone has a right to disagree with me because that is why we come here...to hear differing opinions. I love that about the CB. It would be boring if we all agreed!

I don't know how I feel about participation medals because my DD has never gotten one. If she were going to leave empty handed I might feel like they were great, who knows. I just wanted to say that the girls at DD's gym KNOW they are participation medals and I've seen many girls upset that they didn't place on anything, even though they have that one medal. They've figured it out and don't feel proud of that medal anyway.

With that logic, medals at meets are bribes then. The girls know if they try really hard and do their best routine, they might get a few medals. They aren't a surprise, so they are no longer rewards then right?

So here is where i might offend, and i really don't mean to, but I won't lie, I am, by nature, a competitive person as are all 3 of my kids and my dh. I am not a "win at all costs" or a "if you're not first, you're last" person. But I do think it serves kids well to learn relatively early (how early is debatable, I agree) that the world does not reward everyone who comes to the game. There does come a day where you won't make the team, you won't get into the college, you won't get the job if you're not what's considered "the best."

I agree completely. It is a competitive sport. If everyone goes home with a medal, it devalues the medal. If you never lose, it will devalue the win. I think that our kids learn as much from losing as they do from winning, if not more. But I think it's up to the parents to celebrate the other stuff... being a good sport, improving on your personal best, getting up and finishing after a fall, etc. The medals and trophies are based on being the best gymnast. As parents, we need to be focused on helping our kids learn to be the best people they can be.

I think it's best to be respectful of other people's parenting styles. Maybe I wouldn't pay my kid $20 for a 9, but that doesn't mean it's necessarily wrong. Maybe that kid needs to beleive they can do it and that helps, who knows. I often learn things at CB, but I think I'll really take away from this thread the need to respect what other people do with their kids. We don't always know the back story.

I think it's best to be respectful of other people's parenting styles. Maybe I wouldn't pay my kid $20 for a 9, but that doesn't mean it's necessarily wrong. Maybe that kid needs to beleive they can do it and that helps, who knows. I often learn things at CB, but I think I'll really take away from this thread the need to respect what other people do with their kids. We don't always know the back story.

^^^^^ Totally, completely, absolutely agree!

Just because I don't do it with my child doesn't mean you're wrong to do it with yours. Parenting style is amazingly subjective, isn't it?

If I may, I'd like to add details that could help in the assessment as a whole. I was trying not to make a comment, but I then got to thinking about how relevant this thread is to my professional life. In the pursuit of motivating students, many in the educational field have opted to rewarding students with everything. What has happened in my case is that the result (not in all cases) has left my students with an inability to think for themselves. I can't put in number form how many times within the last two weeks I have said, " Children today are unable to pick themselves up from a mistake, dust themselves off, and learn from their mistakes or lack of effort." Some may even go as far as to blame others for their mistakes and make no attempts to see where they themselves could have gone wrong. I think every person is a winner when they can self assess and understand what NOT to do and what they SHOULD do after they have failed and PICKED THEMSELVES up.
I weighed in before about NOT bribing DD for gym because of my LACK of money. But the reality is that even at 7 yo, she CAN assess as to why she didn't win the medal, get the score whatever. If you have viewed her videos, you can see how she has improved. She may not ever be the best, but she betters herself every time! That is the child I hope continues on in whatever endeavor she continues with. I want her to look at herself as the reason why she is successful or not. As her parent, it is my responsibilty to help her put all in perspective and not 'beat herself up.' Life is hard, but the challenges we face will always make us stronger. That in essecence is the worthwhile lesson I want my children and students to learn.

All that have said parenting styles should be sacred, I definitly agree with. However, I have begun to look at what I do as a parent far more closely because of some of the experiences I encounter in the classroom. No, I may never get it right, but I will continue to strive to create viable citizens of this world.

With that logic, medals at meets are bribes then. The girls know if they try really hard and do their best routine, they might get a few medals. They aren't a surprise, so they are no longer rewards then right?

They MIGHT get a medal.....but they might not. It depends on the final outcome of everyone's performance. :)

In our competition system, as well as medals and certificates for placings, there is a ribbon system. Every gymnast gets a coloured ribbon for each apparatus, gold, red, blue or green depending on their score. At subsequent competitions, if their score on an apparatus puts them in the range for a higher ribbon, they receive the higher ribbon. Last year my DD got two blues and two reds, then the second time a red, and in the third competition two golds. I think it is a great idea because it rewards every child like a participation medal, but also rewards them for improvement.

As a former gymnast myself, I'd say that the biggest and best reward that every girl (big and small) takes home from a meet is passing their level. You can progress in all sorts of skills in practise, but at the end of the day you have to perform for the judges to be judged worthy of a pass mark. The little girl who comes last still knows that she's passed level X - which is far more than most other people she knows can do.
I've been out of gymnastics too long to know how it's done nowadays, but in the olden days we used to get cloth badges for each level, that were stitched on to your sleeve running from shoulder to beyond your elbow. I didn't always march out of a meet with medals, but I sure enjoyed marching out with a zillion badges running down my arm showing what I could do.
I don't want my DD given participation medals to dilute the achievements that goes with passing a level. I want her to learn that a pass mark is a glory in itself. I don't want her to think she needs to get medals to walk out feeling victorious.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back