Parents We have officially decided to switch gyms!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

LOL--I know what you mean mom2kazkids. I often chuckle when I hear posts that include things like "we made it to Level 7" or "we got our kip!". I often wonder if the parents are doing adult classes or are on their dd's teams!!! I know that sometimes it becomes a habit to say "we" and "us" when talking about gymnastics because some parents become very involved (not in a bad way, per se).

I don't think saying "we made it to Level 7" or "we got our kip" is at all the same thing as saying "we made a decision to switch gyms". Skills and levels have nothing to do with me. Switching gyms is completely a "we" situation for our family. Many people weighed in on the decision. Her dad because he is the gymnastics expert in the family, me because I do the bulk of the taking, my mother because she has to take her sometimes too and of course DD. She had to be okay with the idea and want to do it. I also want her input on which coaches she likes etc.

I agree with a previous poster ... when my DD is able to bike or drive to gym and pay attention when announcements are made, handle comunications in this area, pay attention to deadlines, forms etc. then "she" will go to gym X.

I'm even willing to say "she" goes if she will handle everything but transportation and finances.

Currently I am pretty sure "we" are all on the team too.

Maybe I am in the minority here, but I would definitely keep the gym distance in mind. I wouldn't really rely too much on carpooling because if your carpooler is sick or out of town, guess what?? Your dd has to miss practice or you are scrambling around tryout to make last minute adjustments. How old is your dd again? I would also try to keep her in the dance classes--they really help balance the gymnastics and you said that she does love them.

You won't find a "perfect" gym but you can weigh all the pro's and con's and make a balanced decision. If your dd is young (under age 7), I seriously wouldn't worry too much about picking "an elite gym" at this point. At this age you want to look at the coaches and how supportive they are and how they coach. You also want to make sure that the kids are having fun but also getting opportunities for uptraining so they don't get bored. Gymnastics is definitely a delicate balance and finding the right gym can be a tedious one. Keep notes on all the gyms you visit. After you have "comparision shopped" you may want to list all the pro's and con's in a thread here and get our input. It is always helpful to get all sides and every scenario before making a decision. Good luck!

To be honest I would never have considered the elite gym. Her dad was going their for business and took her with him. She had a try-out that day and they come home and told me. Otherwise I would never ever have considered the gym. I just calculated the distance of the that gym vs. my other choice. The elite gym is 32 miles away and the other is 20 miles. He thinks the gym is a good choice because they do alot of conditioning and go pretty slow with the kids.

Good Luck with new gym. We switched in July and it was the BEST thing we could have ever done.

It is definitely 'we' at our gym. The parents are rostered to clean the gym, volunteer to help at the competitions (recording, front of house, judges' lunches) and so on.

Best wishes on whatever you ALL decide :) DD switched gyms and WE are all much happier at her new gym (DH, me, DD and DS).

I do agree that a gym move is a "WE" decision- especially for younger girls (under 16- who can't drive themselves there). Every single family member will be impacted in some way by a gym move- and many things need to be taken into account for the WHOLE FAMILY when moving gyms.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back