what are the odds on developing good splits from nowhere

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

B

Bobby

Question to all, but I guess especially the coaches.
My DD could almost do splits when she was 3, but now at 5 apparently she's much further off. I kind of assumed she had a reasonable natural flexibility, but since neither I nor her kindergym ever gets her to try splits it's only recently I've noticed her flexibility (or lack thereof) has gone backwards.
a) How close do you have to be naturally (to doing side splits) to ever practise your way into a good split?
b) And how does age factor in? Eg: Do you need to be able to do it by say age 5/6/7/etc to ever get there before you just get too stiff??
c) How much of an improvement would/should a youngish girl make per year? Eg: If you're say 3-4 inches off splits, how long might it take to go all the way?? A year? Three?? More?

The one thing she does tend to practise all the time is the straddle stretch (where you put your belly on the floor). She has no prob with that one.
I have no idea how close she is/isn't on front splits. I don't think she understands what I mean because I can't show her (any more :rolleyes:).

From experience, younger children are often more flexible, but to keep that flexibility is needs to be practiced. I often watch my preschool class in awe of how flexible they are in comparison to the older rec kids.
There will always be variation in flexibility - compare Shawn Johnson and Nastia Liukin - but with work (i.e. stretching) flexibility can be improved. Even if your daughter appears miles away from splits there are a variety of different stretches that help improve flexibility (ask her coach for some), and these will make the splits easier.
I'd have to say that there's no set age for being able to get to splits. I was never able to do any splits as a kid, but I can now do splits with my left leg in front.
As for how long, well how long is a piece of string? It depends on the amount and quality of practice put in. Research also shows that for a change in muscle length to occur (really useful for improving flexibility), stretches need to be held for at least 30 secs. The same study showed that no additional benefit in terms of muscle length occurred when the same stretch was held for two sets of 30 secs, or something along those lines :). Stretches were repeated daily. And then you've also got to consider natural variation.
Anyway, hope that helps.

Do you think three lots of ten seconds would count as 30 seconds?? :D

She's FIVE.

She'll get there. Front splits are a complicated thing (think about it for a minute. One leg goes straight out. THe other goes straight back. Your hips don't get to move. This is not easy stuff!), and for kids who are just learning left from right, adjusting centers of gravity, etc, it's a big concept.

In our program, the vast vast majority of girls don't even attempt a split before they're 6, & yet all our team kids & many of our rec gymnasts have adequate to exceptional split flexibility. Adults and teenagers can learn front splits with enough practice & dedication; the very idea of a child being determined gymnastically over the hill or something because of failure to master splits before cursive writing kind of turns my stomach.

Just my 2 dollars.

Yes, she can easily develop good splits. Most kids can't do splits when they are 5 but by the time they are 7 or 8 if they have been training in gymnastics for a while then they usually can.

Most programs don't do splits with very young kids. Generally they wont do splits until around the age of 5 or 6.

answers to your questions

a) you don't need ANY natural flexibility at all to eventually be in a full split. There are two ways to get flat in the splits. The first is to be naturally flexible and work on it a little. The second is to have no natural flexibility and to work hard on it. Both ways will produce excellent splits.

B) age is not a worry. Yes you are more naturally flexible when you are little, but if someone develops the splits later in life they are actually more likely to maintain the flexibility. We have lots of adults in their 20's and 30's who have never been flexible in their lives who have managed to get flat in splits once starting gymnastics programs. So at 5 she is certainly not over the hill.

C) I have no answer to this one. It will vary greatly. Some years she may make no improvement if she hasn't worked on it. And on the other hand we have had 10 year old kids go from splits that are barely 90 degree's, to full flat splits in just 1 year.

Holding 3 splits for 10 seconds wont help as much as holding 1 split for 30 seconds. When you hold a stretch the first 30 seconds don't increase flexibility. Thats just the time it takes for the body to relax into the stretch going to the point where they can already do it. Flexibility doesn't develop until its held longer than 30 seconds. Its best to hold splits for at least a minute at a time.

When I was 5, my splits were pretty close to flat (i.e., in sight...you could see I'd get them if I worked hard). Unfortunately, as a five-year-old, I didn't understand that in gymnastics, some pain = benefit. So I didn't stretch them properly. Of course! Splits are not a natural function for those of us who are not simply given them by our bodies.

I was in dance and figure skating for several years around ages 9 - 12 which helped my flexibility, but my splits were still not flat. I developed good pike flexibility and adequate shoulder/back flexibility. I got my splits half a year after joining team at age 13 and now they are flat, but I still have to stretch them out or they hurt like a beast. A couple months after getting my good leg split, I got my bad leg: being inflexible meant that I really had to suffer THE PAIN to get my right leg split and thus I applied it to my left, so my flexibility is almost equal on both legs.

Now it's a year and half after joining team and my middle splits are pretty close. Your daughter is not "developing splits from nowhere" she seems to be somewhat flexible and she has all the time in the world to get down. If she doesn't stretch at gym, you can ask her to stretch at home and correct her form gently a couple days a week. If she doesn't want to "really push" her splits because it hurts too much, that is her choice.

If she needs to get her splits, the coaches will coach her to get her splits :)

Don't worry, just have fun! Gym can get serious later on.

Yes she is five

There is most definitely hope. I was wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy off when I was 16! and I got them... so dont even worry.

I'm just resound that she should have very little problems. That's only 2 years. Now if she was 16 or 25 that might be something else.

One stretch of 30s is better than 3x10s because you have to get past the stretch reflex to get any head way on it.

Your biggest issue of 30s is getting them to hold the entire 30s and not bend the knee or wiggle out of it which effectively makes moot the hold.

One thing I have noticed in the past is if you work flexibility without heating up the muscle first, you risk the chance of getting less flexible. This would be very similar to just grabbing weights and working out. It tears the muscle fiber as if you were trying to build stronger muscles. If she is working splits at home, make sure she's run around a bit and warmed the body up first. Working flex cold is not only ineffective, it could lead to pulling or tearing muscles.
I'm with Bob on this as well. Make sure the 30 sec hold is of good quality, otherwise it really isn't helping and she may get discouraged.

One thing I have noticed in the past is if you work flexibility without heating up the muscle first, you risk the chance of getting less flexible. This would be very similar to just grabbing weights and working out. It tears the muscle fiber as if you were trying to build stronger muscles. If she is working splits at home, make sure she's run around a bit and warmed the body up first. Working flex cold is not only ineffective, it could lead to pulling or tearing muscles.
I'm with Bob on this as well. Make sure the 30 sec hold is of good quality, otherwise it really isn't helping and she may get discouraged.

Do you mean warmed up like blood flowing through, or just physically warm? Where we live is in the low to mid 30's (centigrade) 6-9 months of the year - so you don't have to do much here to get warm. :D
At the moment I think it would be a mistake for me to cross over from cheer squad (role) to coach, so I bite my tongue every time I'm tempted to suggest she practice something. I'd like to know the answers though so next time she asks I'll have something worthwhile to suggest!!

As a fellow Aussie, and I think I live very close to you I know the weather that you mean. She will still need to warm up before stretching in order to get the blood flowing to the muscles. Not just for safety reason but in order for the stretching to be effective.

However, she will need FAR less warming up than someone in a cooler climate. In our climate we actually need to be very careful with our warm ups because at this time of year dehydration and heat stroke can occur in just a few minutes. 2-3 minutes of skipping with a skipping rope or perhaps jumping on the trampoline will suffice.

But the important part of warm up you will need is to ensure she does a pre stretch of all the muscle's before attempting ANY splits.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back