Coaches What did your gymnasts achieve today?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Another phenominal week. Two new backhandsprings on beam, a new giant on bars, a new double-back off pit bar, three new front layouts on floor, one new tsuk on vault.

Hey you forgot the 2 new back walkover back handsprings on beam, the side Aerial on beam, a new roundoff back tuck dismount or maybe 2, and two new roundoffs on beam. A front giant and clear hip connected to giants.

Last edited:
Hey you forgot the 2 new back walkover back handsprings on beam, the side Aerial on beam, a new roundoff back tuck dismount or maybe 2, and two new roundoffs on beam. A front giant and clear hip connected to giants.

Indeed.

So much new stuff I couldn't even remember it all!

Nothing against anyone but I would think this would be more of a parent forum thread. Don't get me wrong, I do like it when the kids get new skills but I just think it odd for the coaches to put it out there.

*shrug* it's exciting when our students accomplish something! I certainly enjoy sharing, and I enjoy hearing about what everybody else's students are accomplishing as well.

Todd - to each their own. I don't find it odd. I find it awesome. Wish I had the energy at the end of the night to chime in on it more. This is a fun time of year for us coaches too and we also need a place to share with others who love this sport. Since I last posted we've had 4 more new kippers and 3 new long hang kippers. One cartwheel on highbeam, and a couple front tucks moved from trak to floor. Had a handful of cast hs from support, unfortunately not the girls who need it the most right now.Making some progress with some new back tucks and layouts, and flyways, and having fun with forward rolls & hs forward rolls on beam. Most fun today was RO straddle jump front tuck bhs step-out combo on trak. Not sure that's a bragable skill lol but it was new and fun!!

I love this thread.

I've got a kid who got upgraded passes on rod floor. And another got a 1 3/4 front on trampoline. There's a lot of skills that are SOOOO CLOOOOSE too, but we don't REALLY uptrain much between Regionals & Nationals.

Nothing against anyone but I would think this would be more of a parent forum thread. Don't get me wrong, I do like it when the kids get new skills but I just think it odd for the coaches to put it out there.

Definitely not odd! I am so proud of my girls when they achieve new moves, likewise I'm so proud when they win medals and national titles for all of the hard work they've put in! it's better for a coach to care for their gymnasts than not!

we're back to training on Saturday - can't wait!!

I just saw the title of the thread and since it said "your" gymnast, my mind immediately thought parent. I'm just a proud of the kids when they do something new as the next person. I guess I've just worked with too many coaches that try to take credit for what the kids do just so they can feed their bloated ego. Didn't mean to hijack a thread :). I'll just not worry about looking into this one again.

Not sure that's a bragable skill lol but it was new and fun!!

I think everything is worth a brag to be honest!

One of my other groups is the development squad - aged between 5-7 - They are such a joy to coach because they are just so so proud of themselves when they achieve something new! One of the girls did 6 forward rolls in a row on the beam the other day. She was supposed to move onto handstands after 3, but enjoyed them so much she carried on! Very cute! The same gymnast did her pull over on bars and was so proud of herself, I didn't have the heart to point out that the bar was set at it's lowest and she was standing on a big fat mat! lol!

In yet another group, rec this time, 2 of the gymnasts achieved their handstand forward rolls - they've been struggling with them for almost a year - they only attend 1 hour per week and get 10 minutes on floor each week. They are also at our satellite club which has next to no equipment - no sprung floor, just mats that we put out each session so they've been struggling with the fear of rolling onto a thin(ish) mat but have suddenly realised it's not so bad!

We have a small group of gymnasts ready for their first ever competition on sunday. It is 2 piece so not too much pressure, but they are very excited. The plan is to go on to compete 4 piece pre-novice in the autumn so the hopefully the experience will be very valuable.
They are all also catching the high bar consistantly and most have greatly improved their casts. One did her first ever RO BHS on tumble track this week. It has been a busy week.

Awesome thread! I love to brag about my kiddos in the gym!

Let's see....
This week one of my tumblers landed some very pretty fulls on floor w/o spot! So excited for her!!!
One of my new gym students this summer got her standing bhs on floor w/o spot!

Well, we were back to training on Saturday. We took it fairly easy and didn't do any conditioning - that's to come tomorrow night! My 3 girls who got their flips on the beam before we broke up for a month still had them - 1 girl so solid! I'm so excited!

That's great Jamie! Beam is a killer after time off! Glad your girls managed to get back into it straight away! How come you were off for a month?

2 of my gymnasts did giants on their own on shiny bar for the first time last night! One really nicely, the other a little whippy (basically the gloves and loops were doing the work for her), but she'll tidy it up - she won't be satisfied otherwise!

That's great Jamie! Beam is a killer after time off! Glad your girls managed to get back into it straight away! How come you were off for a month?

2 of my gymnasts did giants on their own on shiny bar for the first time last night! One really nicely, the other a little whippy (basically the gloves and loops were doing the work for her), but she'll tidy it up - she won't be satisfied otherwise!

We were off for a month due to lack of availability of coaches - one got married and has been on honeymoon since, 2 were doing exams so it was only 2 of us around to run classes which isn't possible so we had to take the month off, so glad to be back though. back in the gym tonight and cna't wait!

I need my girls to get their giants back on the loop (shiny) bar - one of them started to kick at the completely wrong time and lost it. she was piking in so much at the back too. Another 2 of my girls are well able but just don't do it!

We've got a cast to handstand! One super consistant and the other did it once! On one of the p-bars but still ;D. We also have quite a few front to back tumbling lines- it seems to have clicked in each girl's brain at the same time!

We also have a former artistic gymnast coaching part-time for us. I'm excited because I trained with her up until she quit last year!

And did I mention this our FIRST DAY BACK!

Yesterday we got 2 standing back tucks and a standing backhandspring.

And I've got this kid who has never done much gym in her life who said to me "I'm going to get a backhandspring series today", and she did. I love when they do that.

Yesterday we got 2 standing back tucks and a standing backhandspring.

And I've got this kid who has never done much gym in her life who said to me "I'm going to get a backhandspring series today", and she did. I love when they do that.

woo!! sounds great! my girls haven't worked too hard since the first day back to training - i know they will tonight though. the three girls who got their back flips on beam are doing ok, one of them perfect her back flip back layout for beam on a line on the floor last night so that was pretty exciting! We train with a smaller group on fridays - there'll be probably only 8 gymnasts in opposed to 28! so it's a nice tight group :) looking forward to it

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back