Parents What is it tested for xcel team?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

Jenny9130

Proud Parent
My 9year old daughter is about to try out for a xcel silver team. She failed to join in compulsory team and stayed in intermediate recreational level for 1.5 year. The coach pointed that her upper body strength is not good enough. Her weakest is pull ups. She only can do one in a correct position. Other than that she is flexible and hold more than 5 sec in a handstand position. Also she can do press handstand and round off back handspring.

However what I’m concerned is that her body shape. She does not have a typical gymnast body shape. She has a belly and her legs, shoulder and arms are a bunch of muscles. However she looks, she really loves gynmastics and wants to compete. I want to support her in Xcel program and I’d like to know what she needs to prepare in a tryout.

It's different in every program - I have seen programs that require basically nothing but an interest in gymnastics and other programs that require you to have your full silver routines ready to compete before even joining.

fwiw, I'd accept her onto our silver team and consider her for dev compulsory solely on the press (stalder?), 5+ second handstand (no walking?) and ROBHS.

Thank you
It's different in every program - I have seen programs that require basically nothing but an interest in gymnastics and other programs that require you to have your full silver routines ready to compete before even joining.

fwiw, I'd accept her onto our silver team and consider her for dev compulsory solely on the press (stalder?), 5+ second handstand (no walking?) and ROBHS.
Thank you. I’m relieved a bit reading your thread. She was invited to be evaluated to for a spot in a silver team where team members are already. There is one spot available and she is chosen possible fit but they said it is not guaranteed. I hope she gets the spot.

Reactions: sun
im pretty shocked she didnt atleast make compulsory if she atleast had some of the major skills required for level 3 routines, assuming her tryout was for level 3, but either way xcel silver is still a really good program for gymnasts of all ages
like Sun said it differs by the program, my gym requires at least;
vault: bounce to handstand, handstand or handspring flatback
bars: pullover, back hip circle
beam; teeter totter, tuck jump, cartwheel handstand dismount [twist is optional]
floor: roundoff, leap [90 degrees], half turn [full preferred]

im pretty shocked she didnt atleast make compulsory if she atleast had some of the major skills required for level 3 routines, assuming her tryout was for level 3, but either way xcel silver is still a really good program for gymnasts of all ages
like Sun said it differs by the program, my gym requires at least;
vault: bounce to handstand, handstand or handspring flatback
bars: pullover, back hip circle
beam; teeter totter, tuck jump, cartwheel handstand dismount [twist is optional]
floor: roundoff, leap [90 degrees], half turn [full preferred]
Thank you. Her coach didn’t let my daughter in a compusory team because of her upper body strength. She can do back hip circle but cannot front hip circle or a squat on yet. She’s working on them. And she doesn’t have an ideal gymnasts’ body shape. Anyway she made it to Xcel silver position and she’s really happy about it that she has team mates and practice together. I’m happy for it as well. I wish she can continue her passion for gymnastic.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Such a cool transition! 🤩

2024 Gymnastics For All GymFest

Back