Parents What is your definition having 'it'?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymMomK

Proud Parent
DD has been struggling through many blocks and it seems she is starting to get her skills back.

What do you, your gymmie, coaches consider 'got it'?

DD has done her new vault (last one caused crazy issues-tsuk). She's landed it 3 times with no spot or extra mats. I'm proud, but really don't think it's competition ready... Same with bars.

When is something competition-ready? Is there a certain amount of reps? Successful attempts? Etc?

I am starting to feel like they have it while they have it......it can be lost anytime, so enjoy it while it's there......

I have seen L8s start with suddenly crappy Round offs! These are great talented girls too!!!

I guess you are really asking if the muscle memory is in completely....it can take ages but I would say at least 2 months of consistently doing the skill.

It's competition ready when coach says it is. ;) I think it varies by skill, by level and by gymnast. Some skills may not be consistent but are safe, so they are competition ready, other skills may not be safe until they are consistent… And some skills may be ready as a "solo" skill, but aren't connected yet or done safely in a routine…so yeah, I just leave it to the coach to decide.

I think they probably have it when the coach allows them to compete it and they get up and do them like it's just a cartwheel on the floor. Like everyone says, that doesn't mean they keep it... Just that they have it at the moment.

It's competition ready when coach says it is. ;) I think it varies by skill, by level and by gymnast. Some skills may not be consistent but are safe, so they are competition ready, other skills may not be safe until they are consistent… And some skills may be ready as a "solo" skill, but aren't connected yet or done safely in a routine…so yeah, I just leave it to the coach to decide.
This. Especially safely.

I am starting to feel like they have it while they have it......it can be lost anytime, so enjoy it while it's there.......

I was just going to post exactly this. I think it's well said.

Skills come and go. Fear comes and goes. Confidence comes and goes. I've given up any attempt at predictions when it comes to this sport... and we're just four seasons into competition.

I think they need to be able to do it anytime (with little warm up - so no starting on the floor and working your way up gradually higher beams) on any piece of equipment multiple days in a row.

For instance my dd has done her clear hip to HS numerous times. But each day she does it it takes a dozen or so turns on the bar before she can pop it to HS. And she has only been able to do it on 1 bar. So in my mind she is still learning it.

One of my daughter's coaches says they've got a new skill when they've done it three times. First time is a fluke. Second time is less of a fluke. If they've done it the third time it's because they've now got the skill. Of course, that doesn't mean that they are competition ready, and it doesn't account for losing it again!

Having it on competition equipment is a big part. DS has caught dozens of Geingers and can do several in a row, but he still does it over the pit. I'll think he really "has it" when he gets up the gumption to do it on the regular high bar. Hopefully, that's soon because season's just around the corner.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back