WAG What separates the best from the rest?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

BarCoach

Coach
Reaction score
I started working with my group 4 years ago. They were a mess, competing and learning the skills for old 4. 2 years later I got to take over as leader. Since then their improvement has been very fast and steady. We took 3rd at states last year as new 4s, and now most of them are 5s and a couple are repeating 4 along with some new girls.
I know all of this sounds good and I am very proud of them, but we seem to have hit a wall. There is one gym in particular that wins everything in every level. I'm not sure what the difference is but they are consistently a few tenths higher. I especially notice it on floor. We have done nice routines but can't seem to break through the certain range we're at to the range the other gym is at. I know it doesn't matter too much and maybe I shouldn't spend much time chasing after a few tenths, but I know my boss and the girls would love to win, and I would too. So what makes that special something that a gymnast must have in order to receive the highest scores?

In compulsories, it could be that you are misinterpreting something in the text (doubtful, but...). I am still correcting text errors with some of our L3 - L5 girls, especially on floor. One of our L3 coaches (was not the lead coach for L3 until the lead coach got a "real" job and can't make it all 3 days) didn't catch a couple of text items until after I had already corrected several of the girls multiple times. NOW she is catching and correcting them too. Our problem is that we sent 4 coaches to the Clinic to learn the routines... one is away at college... one is fairly newly married and is only at the gym 1-2 times a week... and the other two are older (HC and Assistant HC) AND HC also has high school meets to contend with and is needed with L5+ more often than with L3/L4.

If you want to beat them, then you need to focus on optional basics. Take the 3rd place in compulsories and start training level 8. (reason I say 8 is mainly the level 8 vault).

I agree with coachp. Focus on optional level skill development.

However, for the sake of answering the question of how to get those huge scores, if your skills are comparable, look at the smaller details. Things like the way their feet hit and push off of the floor in the running and the leap passes, overall body tension and posture through the routine, amplitude in the leaps and jumps, etc.

If you have video of a couple of routines, I would be happy to take a look and let you know what I see.

We do a lot of uptraining and those days are fun. Maybe we'll wait until just before States, when they really want it, to work harder on details.
We do have a couple girls who can't seem to remember to make the text corrections. But we went really slowly learning the routines this year and I think I'm aware of all those errors. Wouldn't hurt to read the text again though.

Thanks.

Gotta post them to YouTube and copy the link. That's the way I've always done it.

you can make your video public on facebook and then post link here.

Do I even stand a chance if it is their 10-15 girls against our 4?

Do I even stand a chance if it is their 10-15 girls against our 4?

Our 15 kids have lost to 3 or 4 athlete teams plenty of times.

Precision Gymnastics won level 8 state last year, I think they had 4 girls. They beat a host of much larger teams.

One of the gyms that frequently wins states sent girls to level 7 one month after cleaning house at new 4. :rolleyes:

I don't really know, but as a parent, I would say that while watching a meet I can generally divide the routines into a few categories : "omg amazing", "very nice" "middle of the road" and "eh". To me, what separates the "omg amazing" from "very nice" is knees and toes, pretty fingers, good posture (shoulders, arms, etc)), chin up, presentation, extensions on legs etc. I couldn't tell you if form on actual gymnastic "stuff" was good or proper but the in between stuff (dance or even jumps I guess) sets it apart for me. ;) Take it for what its worth though!

I agree rjb. I didn't think the judges could really take off for it, but I guess they have to have something to differentiate. Honestly, my girls look boring. For the most part they are doing things correctly but I can't get them to show it off and really perform. I wonder if that would make the difference.

One of the gyms that frequently wins states sent girls to level 7 one month after cleaning house at new 4. :rolleyes:
Believe it or not, that is actually a natural progression. In my opinion Level 5 is harder than 7 in many ways and also easier in many ways. In other words if you can get the kid to do two skills you are good to go, giant and straddle cast.

I agree rjb. I didn't think the judges could really take off for it, but I guess they have to have something to differentiate. Honestly, my girls look boring. For the most part they are doing things correctly but I can't get them to show it off and really perform. I wonder if that would make the difference.
In our area it would. Finally convinced DD to smile when she salutes and it was amazing her scores went up by a few 10th. I think, especially when they are little, the judges like to see they are having fun.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back