What skills fall into what levels....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

DND

Proud Parent
On many posts gymnasts or parent refer to being in various levels - 1 to 10. In Canada we do not have these levels and I was just wondering what skills equate to what levels and if there are ages for these levels also?

Do the gymnasts actually get tested on each of these levels for certain requirements?

I try to get a feeling of where my daughter is at compared to what I am reading about in skills an maturity.

Thanks

What skills does your dd have? Then we can tell you the equivalent USAG level. Girls that compete in the US usually have to attain a certain score to move on to the next level.

Ontario does have a 10 level system too, though it is slightly different to USAG. However I think your dd is in the Canadian pre elite system which runs parallel to the Canadian Provincial Programme.

Yes your are right about my DD as she is in pre novice. You had mentioned she would by be level 7 in most events, but bars when I was asking about sending her to camp.

As I read the forums I just get curious when they are talking about levels and skills and hours they train etc. as I don't know what to compare it to. I guess because we went from gymnastics for fun and daycare to rec to pre-novice and I know very little (nothing) I am trying to educate myself fast.

As for her skills....

Bars - straddle handstand on the "lower" of the two bars, cast to handstand on lower, giants on mitts only, kip (not really) and kip cast to handstand with spot

Vault - front handspring onto matts, half ons

Beam- BWO BHS connection on low beam, can do them separately on high beam, press to handstand and lower and press again, full turns, leaps (???), FWO and working on round off back tuck

Floor - RO BHS BLO, RO BHS BT, FT-WO-RO-BHS-BT, FHS-FT, learning twist on tramp

I think these are skills she will require to compete at her level, but I have no idea where any of these fit into other levels or progressions.

her floor weould be level 7 in the us and would meet the tumbling requirments. on bars. level 7 usally is kip cast hs clear hip 45 degress kip squat on kipcst hs giant layout flyaway. so her bars are probably around a level 6. vault for level 5,6,7 are all front handspring over the table. beam would be a level 7. you need a flight element(bhs) a connection(bwo bhs)(the connection fufills the connection and flight requirment) a full turn and a 180 split(jump leap ect.

In the US level 4-6 are compulsary leveels meaning that every single girl does the same routines with the same skills. all the routines have certain requirments such as in level 5 the casts have to be horizontal in level 6 they have to be 45 degress ect.
level 7-10 are optional levels meaning that eveyone has their own routines. There are certain requirments to get your start value to a 10.0. there are many routines that have the same exact skills and others that have totally different skills. all are acceptable and fufill the requirements. All skills are graded A B C or D. As being the easiest Ds being the hardest. in each level you have to have a certain number of each kind of skill. So for level 7 on beam you have to have 4 As and 2 Bs but you are not allowed to do Cs or Ds or it is a big deduction.

That is just a sliver of the usag levelss 4-10. There is a lot more to it and im sure that some of the coaches might be able to explain it better,

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back