What would you do?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

As gymnastics is my passion of all passions, I recently decided to get back into gymnastics (age 19 currently). I have wanted to pretty much ever since I quit (I had to quit through reasons beyond my control - nothing health related or anything) and finally got the courage to do it.

No gyms in my whole city offer structured classes for people over 16yrs. I have asked each and every one about classes/private lessons/possible coaching, and they all say no. What they DO offer is 'adult gym'.

I was excited at first, until finally realising that it is impossible to learn new things at adult gym. Picture this: the gym is full of about 60 people (55 young males, 5 females.. absolutely crowded). The males are all over the floor, vault, tumble track, bars, pit, trampolines... I was on the beam on Tuesday and almost fell off when one boy ran up and vaulted over it... When I told him he just said *extremely snarkily* "oh sorry sweetheart, didn't realise the beam was a seat" (as I was mounting at the time). There is generally always very loud music blaring for the duration of the session.

Nobody is there to teach me new skills.

So what do I do? I'm so torn... I want to learn gymnastics SO BADLY. I have the determination, I would be willing to work hard, I am absolutely dedicated to the sport, but there are no reasons that I can see for me to continue. Which makes me very sad! So what would you do?

Last edited:
So far, what I have done (apart from asking the gyms) is email the contact person for the head of the gymnastics association in NZ (just asking politely if they would consider bringing back the open level competition grade, which they used to have up until 5 years ago). I am yet to hear a reply, and it has been 4 days, so I don't know if that will work out...

you could ask one of the coaches if you could come in for a few private lessons just to get back into it. i dont know if that is an option at your gym, but it had often helped me when regular practices were overwhelming

Hang in there! Though it's not the best situation, you still have something to work with until things improve.

How long have you been going to adult gym? Whenever I go to open gym and I know it's going to be crowded, I arrive early so I can get the most popular apparatus first (usually tumble trak). People are usually willing to share, though. Otherwise, I do my best to work around them. For example, if there are lots of people on the floor, I'll try to find a corner or small area and work on handstands, or I'll go to an apparatus or area that isn't being used and work on whatever I can. Sometimes that means just conditioning or stretching. It can be frustrating, but at least I get to do something.

Also, if you stick around long enough, some of the more experienced people might be willing to occasionally spot you on a skill or give you tips.

Thanks for the suggestions so far! :)

- I have asked about private lessons, but each gym has told me they don't offer them (apart from one gym who only gives them to the competetive squad gymnasts). I asked one of the supervisors at adult gym (a few times lol), but he said no each time.

- I have been going for 9 weeks now. This is two hours each week, every Tuesday night. I usually get there first, and make a break for the equipment I want, but it doesn't last long. For example, Tuesday just been, I was on the pit-trampoline. 5 minutes later, there was a group of guys over there with me throwing crazy flips off it (they do parkour or something...) and not giving me a chance to go. So I moved along to beam, and as I wrote before, got elbowed away from there too. It's so annoying! Gahhhh.

There is one coach guy there who helps out, but he is quite old (his words!) and has had a hip replacement (his words again) and can't spot difficult things. He usually helps out those new people doing backwards rolls down the foam wedge.

It's soooo frustrating....!

I have the same problem! You could try coming to the adult class at my gym, Wednesday nights are busy, but the Sunday class is usually not crowded at all. The coach is young and good at spotting and very good at coaching tumbling skills. It isn't a solution to your problem but might be an improvement on the situation.

I have approached the recreational gym program manager, I will get back to her soon to see if she was able to come up with anything. Not this weekend though, as the gym is hosting a big competition, maybe next weekend.

I am also frustrated because most weeks I have nobody to train with. Very few women come along, it is almost all young parkour guys. Training by yourself all the time with nobody to talk to gets a bit lonely and boring.

What I'd really like is a coach who would be proactive, seeing where I'm up to currently and taking me through appropriate skills, drills and progressions. I have to try to work it out by myself and I just don't have that level of knowledge of gymnastics. When I'm practising, I can't see what I'm doing wrong, so I don't know what I need to do to improve. I don't know what other skills I might be ready or almost ready to learn, and what are realistic goals to aim for.

Well, about someone to coach you, I havenothing to say. But about the "crowdiness", you have 3 options:

1- Ignore them. Some people just get in your way to make you angry, so pretend they are not there.

2- BE HAPPY. This is the most funny. When someone gets in your way, say happy and polite things like "Nicely done", "You're a great gymnast", "Wish I could do that!".

3- Revenge! This may seem childish, but it's a good last resource. When the ones who elbow you are trying to do something, get in there too.
Or start talking to them saying "If I were you, I would get in your way. But I won't do it because..." and then leave pretending you're telling a big story without letting him/her understand a word.

What level did you get up to in gymnastics? If you were level 4 or above why not ask if you can train on their competition squads. At 19 you really won't be that much older than their most senior gymnasts.

Sometimes the problem is when you are looking for recreational classes, few gyms offer them because kids don't tend to start gymnastics in their late teens. But there should be plenty of competitive classes available because those who are involved in the sport as teens have been there for a while and are of this level.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back