WAG When do they announce who made the TOPS A and B teams?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Rooms are smaller. Only 3-4, sometimes 6 to a room. Linens are provided. Stuff like that. They are much nicer.

Yea I did notice that the hotel rooms looked nicer at least from outside but I didn't know girls were allowed to stay there, I thought it was for coaches only.

My DD was invited to DIC from national testing. After the first day of testing which was skills the coaches were told that she will be skipping TOPs and that She is invited to DIC. The coaches told us after the second day of testing!! She would have made TOPS A camp with her final score but we were not given an "option". Even tho we have to pay for camp now I know it will be worth it!

My DD was invited to DIC from national testing. After the first day of testing which was skills the coaches were told that she will be skipping TOPs and that She is invited to DIC. The coaches told us after the second day of testing!! She would have made TOPS A camp with her final score but we were not given an "option". Even tho we have to pay for camp now I know it will be worth it!
Wow! Congrats! That sounds like what happened to the two girls I "know".

But then again, several were invited before PA's testing. I really think he's feeling out the field. I also noticed that many invitees are the same age from the same gym. I think in the moment, it would be quite hard to invite one without the other. Another factor on the $$, albeit somewhat negligible, are the accommodations the girls have at DIC vs. TOPS A/B. DIC stays in the 'hotels' while TOPS campers stay in the cabins. My thoughts are in what's going to happen to the 50+ already on the DIC roster.

I noticed that too (about the gyms) so I thought maybe in addition to the kids being good he felt the coaches would benefit in some way too from whatever they'll do at DIC - but then again you have one of Justin Laury's kids on the list and he's one of the best technical jr coaches out there so I dunno. It might just have been that those gyms stressed skill development more and that was something they were looking for. Daniela's post and yours does clarify the question of "could they have made A camp" and it sounds like they were invited before testing was finished. It does make a little more sense. Still it seems like if they made it by merit fair and square USAG could have coughed up the money for them like the A campers and others invited to camps. BUT maybe your last question is at the heart of that - if those already on the roster are paying.

I noticed that too (about the gyms) so I thought maybe in addition to the kids being good he felt the coaches would benefit in some way too from whatever they'll do at DIC - but then again you have one of Justin Laury's kids on the list and he's one of the best technical jr coaches out there so I dunno. It might just have been that those gyms stressed skill development more and that was something they were looking for. Daniela's post and yours does clarify the question of "could they have made A camp" and it sounds like they were invited before testing was finished. It does make a little more sense. Still it seems like if they made it by merit fair and square USAG could have coughed up the money for them like the A campers and others invited to camps. BUT maybe your last question is at the heart of that - if those already on the roster are paying.

Well, I know the ones on the roster for Nov. DIC are paying! [emoji12] Truthfully, it wouldn't bother me if they didn't have to 'pay.' Even if I did. I know what my gymmie is getting. I know it's well worth it's price tag. BUT what I meant was that I am concerned about the security of the girls positions that already attend these camps (not my DD's place as we have already been told what's next for her), but what about the other girls? Surely he's not going to make some 40 cuts?? Right??

Well, I know the ones on the roster for Nov. DIC are paying! [emoji12] Truthfully, it wouldn't bother me if they didn't have to 'pay.' Even if I did. I know what my gymmie is getting. I know it's well worth it's price tag. BUT what I meant was that I am concerned about the security of the girls positions that already attend these camps (not my DD's place as we have already been told what's next for her), but what about the other girls? Surely he's not going to make some 40 cuts?? Right??
I wonder about that too. They are taking tons of kids to these camps, of course some are going to move into the HOPEs and Jr. Elite groups, but certainly not all of them. There will have to be "cuts" made somewhere, I guess maybe they just stop inviting them back?

And I think there is something to the idea that they just invited girls of similar age from the same gym. One of the clubs I follow on instagram posted that one of their girls was selected straight from National testing for the DIC and they hoped their other girl would have a favorable result. Both kids appear on the DIC list, so I'm guessing the one girl was an A team qualifier who was bumped to DIC?

At the parent meeting we had at national testing we were told that only A campers are paid for, DIC kids do have to pay and once they make or if they ever make DC team then there's no fee. I wonder too what's going to happen with all the current DIC girls it's a little nerve-wracking specially for those girls, I guess we will know after the DIC in November. I'm guessing some cuts and girls moving up to DC but how many is the question?

At the parent meeting we had at national testing we were told that only A campers are paid for, DIC kids do have to pay and once they make or if they ever make DC team then there's no fee. I wonder too what's going to happen with all the current DIC girls it's a little nerve-wracking specially for those girls, I guess we will know after the DIC in November. I'm guessing some cuts and girls moving up to DC but how many is the question?
Ok, now what's the DC team? Even fancier, I assume?

I would assume that they could invite even more kids from TOPS camps too...so that increases the total even further. I'm very curious to see how this all plays out.

DD was also invited after Day 1/skills testing. When TOPs results were sent out, they let our coach know that she would have made A camp, and said that they will be sending her the leo and warmups still...so I guess that's a little consolation? She was excited about that part! She also did not have a great day on PA testing, some uncharacteristic falls on a couple things, and a fault on rope, but did well enough on everything going else I guess.

The cuts will make me sad. Some of those girls have been there for a long time and are kick-*** gymnasts.

I would assume that they could invite even more kids from TOPS camps too...so that increases the total even further. I'm very curious to see how this all plays out.

DD was also invited after Day 1/skills testing. When TOPs results were sent out, they let our coach know that she would have made A camp, and said that they will be sending her the leo and warmups still...so I guess that's a little consolation? She was excited about that part! She also did not have a great day on PA testing, some uncharacteristic falls on a couple things, and a fault on rope, but did well enough on everything going else I guess.

I didn't know the girls still get the Leo/warmup!!! Our coach didn't tell us that!!

If kids were bumped to the DIC camp because other girls from their gym also were invited, that really doesn't sound fair if it's supposed to be something that is "better" than TOPS A team. That puts a kid who is the only high talent kid at their gym at a disadvantage cause those DIC slots could be taken up by less talented kids who just happen to be at a gym w/ a super talented kid. That could lead to high talent kids moving to gyms w/ other high talent kids just so they can get into that DIC camp - and doesn't that go against the whole point of the camps to begin with? Aren't they done so that gymnasts don't have to move to certain special gyms full time to be elite.

If kids were bumped to the DIC camp because other girls from their gym also were invited, that really doesn't sound fair if it's supposed to be something that is "better" than TOPS A team. That puts a kid who is the only high talent kid at their gym at a disadvantage cause those DIC slots could be taken up by less talented kids who just happen to be at a gym w/ a super talented kid. That could lead to high talent kids moving to gyms w/ other high talent kids just so they can get into that DIC camp - and doesn't that go against the whole point of the camps to begin with? Aren't they done so that gymnasts don't have to move to certain special gyms full time to be elite.

It may well be that they will evaluate all the girls at the camp and let go the ones who are not up to standards. It also may well be that they will just keep a larger number, because at the end of the day the more money they make the better.

It may well be that they will evaluate all the girls at the camp and let go the ones who are not up to standards. It also may well be that they will just keep a larger number, because at the end of the day the more money they make the better.

This makes sense

I heard that Valeri said there are no guarantee's for who is going to Developmental camps except the top tier girls there. I would assume its the same with the DIC. The way I see it they, are churning the talent pool continuously looking for talent, looking to see who is improving, and watching for the club coaches that are following their direction. Valeri decides who goes to camp in the end. We've been at this a couple of years now, there's not an algorithm you can use to "figure out" the decision making. So far as I can tell you need a talented athlete (On all four events), coaches that follow the staff's training and instructions, and a great work ethic to be the best.

I heard that Valeri said there are no guarantee's for who is going to Developmental camps except the top tier girls there. I would assume its the same with the DIC. The way I see it they, are churning the talent pool continuously looking for talent, looking to see who is improving, and watching for the club coaches that are following their direction. Valeri decides who goes to camp in the end. We've been at this a couple of years now, there's not an algorithm you can use to "figure out" the decision making. So far as I can tell you need a talented athlete (On all four events), coaches that follow the staff's training and instructions, and a great work ethic to be the best.

I think they also need to see continued improvement at camps. Some girls shine at testing and then they really do not progress at the rate expected. I am sure the bigger the pool the happier USG staff . why not have a huge DIC camp? If parents will pay to send their talented kids, then there is no negative for USAG. Dev camp is also not a shoo in once you are invited. Girls are added and dropped all the time. The only sure thing is the actual national team, not even the national team camps seem secure spot wise.

I think its a mis-nomer to say the DIC invites denote that those kids are more talented, better, higher in the hierarchy than the Tops A kids...this statement alone proves that:

After the first day of testing which was skills the coaches were told that she will be skipping TOPs and that She is invited to DIC.

Invites to DIC were mostly given for a good skills day- having nothing to do with PA in most instances- I think its a fine-line to say there is a clear hierarchy. I think bogwoppit's opinions make the most sense as far as why they were invited, etc. I also think this is the first of many changes we are gong to see in this new quad.

Coaches that follow the staffs training and instructions are key. This may also explain why some of the gyms they have invited more than you might expect. Because they know that those kids are getting the right training and WILL improve, and they already know they can work with the coaches concerned. This is also why an established elite gym is a better bet because they are already working and succeeding the way the national coaches want them too. Kids pushing up from a newly elite gym are more of an unknown.

Coaches that follow the staffs training and instructions are key. This may also explain why some of the gyms they have invited more than you might expect. Because they know that those kids are getting the right training and WILL improve, and they already know they can work with the coaches concerned. This is also why an established elite gym is a better bet because they are already working and succeeding the way the national coaches want them too. Kids pushing up from a newly elite gym are more of an unknown.

I think it also true (or safe to say)that gyms with established elite programs are not at DIC (texas dreams?) and even not at Dev sometimes...the nat'l team knows they know what they are doing and they will make the nat'l team camp at the right time...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back