When do they need grips?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

M

Mariainlv

DD is training L5 and I am wondering when they NEED grips?

Before I am told, uhh ask the gym, I am just looking for others experience. We are new to her gym and I want to avoid looking like THAT parent who has a question after every practice:cool:

Thanks in advance!

If she's training level 5 I'd go ahead and get grips. Kip and tap swing practice make grips a good idea, it gets hard on the hands. The girls in any gym I worked at got their first pair at this time. The level 4's were always jealous, so getting grips was a big deal for any girl who moved up lol! It can vary from gym to gym though, ask away!

When do they NEED gips is a difficult thing to answer. Every gym has their own policies on when grips are needed. in the gym where my DD goes L5 Can get them but it isn't required. L6 are recommended to have them but again isn't required it isn't until L7 that they really want them to have them.

You will need to talk to the coaches at your gym to see when they feel it would be the right time to have them

I agree with Cher. I don't think that they ever actually NEED grips. Aren't there elite gymnasts at the Olympics who don't use them? I seem to recall watching a Japanese gymnast recently at some international competition who did not use them at all. Gyms seem to differ on when a gymnast SHOULD get them. At our gym, like Cher's, they are not required until Level 7. I know you didn't want this answer, but I'd check with the gym to see whether they want their Level 5s in grips. This doesn't seem to me like a question that will get you labeled as THAT parent! :)

There are elite gymnasts who do not use grips, so one could say you never NEED them. That said, as a bars coach, I usually recommend grips when a gymnast is training Level 5, has a decent kip without grips (i.e. understands how to shift her wrists over the bar), and is starting to swing on the high bar. With smaller or younger gymnasts, I don't always recommend grips, as they may not have a good enough grip on the bar or may find grips cumbersome. Also, some Level 5s have tiny hands and skinny fingers can't fit conventional grips. With older and heavier gymnasts, I sometimes let Level 4s wear them, especially if they are prone to rips and are uptraining tap swings or other swinging skills. Ultimately, it's usually up to the coach.

Thank you! Jas is very small/light so I think we can safely wait. I think she is 45lbs soaking wet and is def on the small side.

My DD was very tiny and light at level 5, but she has very tender skin. Getting grips enabled her to work longer on bars at any one time and really cut down on the rips. Our problem was finding ones narrow enough and she ended up getting Bailies.

to many variables. just wait until they tell you that she must get grips.

Our gym lets any level use those beginner palm guard grips, just to get used to how they feel. They don't necessarily compete in them at the lower levels though - it depends on how rough the host gym's bars are compared to what our girls are used to, how long they've been using grips compared to not using grips etc. DD (Level 3) started using palm guards a few weeks ago, and she did not wear them to compete last weekend.

I'm not sure when our gym wants the girls in "real" grips - probably not until Level 5 maybe?

I would ask other parents and the coach what they think. This isn't a question that will get you tagged "that" parent. All gyms are different when they want grips, also it depends on the kid. Some want grips right away,but others don't. I would ask the coach and see what they say. I f they it doesn't matter I would ask your DD what she wants.

I agree with the other posters who say to ask her coaches what they suggest. The "need for grips" can vary greatly. Our gym uses the beginner palm grips at level 4 and this past meet season some of the other gyms who were competing Level A (5), used none.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back