Parents When to switch to a more competitive gym?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

i don't see how the coach would be able to train her new L4 (current 5) with no proper bars since they use the high bar. the coach is excited to train her because she is good.. if coach is taken aback by how good she is then i would want to know if my kid was a gymnsatics genius, ha, or if the rest of the "good kids" just go to other gyms.. if my dd shows up at the boys club she looks like a straight genius.. at her gym she just looks above average.

They've pulled out 2 higher bars, but I'm pretty sure theyre not regulation. I'd say she's genius at her current place, I'd say above avg elsewhere (I hope!). She definitely needs to clean up her casts! Luckily, she was born with the "point your toes" gene. :)

it's nice to be in a situation where your dd gets extra attention, too. at the boys club the coach swoons over my lil star, but at her gym she is just one of the pack.. she likes to be made a big deal of, so we try to hit that gym for a rec class here and there..

I'm going to preface by saying that I know this is premature as DD is 5 and hasn't even competed in her 1st meet. And my questions is all "in theory" if she decides to continue with gymnastics and team. I am a planner, and I like to have all avenues thought out ahead of time, and this has really been on my mind.

So, DD goes to a "rec" gym who has had team gym for a couple of years, but this is their first year doing artistic. We only have 2 levels: 3 & 4. The gym has to purchase uneven bars for next year. The facility is usually over crowded, and I have no idea where the L4+ kids would practice uneven bar work.

Now, DD is in L3 and will be again next year, after she turns 6 (obviously). Most gyms in the area don't even start competing until L4, though they will allow L3s into the competitions. If DD were to become serious with gymnastics, we would have to change gyms at some point. Right now, she loves where she is, and the low gym hours are great (only 4hrs per week - she does 1hr ballet on her own).

So........ would you recommend our current plan ..... stay where she is (and happy) until she is maxed out and risk missing a comp. season due to offset try-out season?
OR
Move earlier rather than later?

I feel like I know the majority of the responses are going to be : stay, everyone is happy.
I just want to make sure I'm not totally off base.

Thanks!

a gym with no bars? am i reading this right??

I was guessing that they either have single bars, or a star bar system, but no "regulation" set of unevens. Ya know?

Right. I don't know what a star bar system is, but they have different sized single bars. She has been working the NEW L3 bar skills.

I started by calling this thread premature, but it isn't going to be long before DD is 7 (15months). Nor did I realize how much/when gymnasts do uptraining.

If they don't have the equipment, I'd look to find another gym. Especially now that she is young and can quickly adjust. I'd look for a place that has a proven track record as well. For the time and effort you are putting in, you want to be in the right place. they learn alot from the age of 5 to 7. 2 years seems like alot, but in reality the time will go fast.

Yeah....... None of the L3s placed today (up to 7th place). Looking at the differences between what they were taught compared to what the other girls were doing.... Major differences.

Yeah....... None of the L3s placed today (up to 7th place). Looking at the differences between what they were taught compared to what the other girls were doing.... Major differences.

You either fix it when they're starting out, or spend 2x or 3x longer fixing it when they're older. My 6 y/o DD just moved to one of the best gyms in the state, and we couldn't be happier with the coaching, and how well she's adjusting, even with very long practices. I'm glad I didn't wait another yr or 2 for the switch.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back