Whether to try to skip a level?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My DD, just turned 10, and finished her level 5 season with scores in the high 38's. She thinks she is too old to keep just advancing 1 level per year. Has anyone had experience with level skipping? Is it advisable? Any comments, thoughts appreciated.

I'll be curious to hear responses to this. There is some scuttle around the gym that my daughter is going to be moved up faster than 1 level/year. I'm mixed on what I think of that. It seems like it's risky to do it - she could struggle and get discouraged. It seems like it's risky to turn it down - she could get discouraged by my not letting her do it.

My feeling is that any level skipping should be initiated by the coach. I don't know if I, as a parent, would really feel comfortable approaching the coach about skipping, especially if it isn't something that the gym normally does.

That said, if your daughter has certain goals (and at 10 she is old enough to have some ideas about what she wants out of gymnastics) it certainly wouldn't hurt for her (or the two of you together, if she feels like she needs backup) to bring those up to the coach and ask her if the coach can help her meet them. That might mean skipping a level, or uptraining more, or it might just mean going at a level a year. I mean, at 10 years old, even if she does a level a year she can still make level 10 in time to be competitive for a college scholarship. Elite might not be realistic, but it isn't realistic for most gymnasts regardless of whether they skip levels or not.

My older dd did only one meet of Level 6 for mobility. It worked for her. I think it really depends on the child and the program. Some programs do not up-train enough to make it possible. I would definitely talk with the coaches about this goal ASAP! Good luck.

My dd skipped a level in xcel this year. From silver to platinum, which is similar to a L4.5 to a L6.5 It has worked for her. But she did a lot of uptraining and was competing some of the skills expected in gold while in her silver year. She also scored out of L5 and L6 without any problems so coaches felt she would be fine. she has had some confidence struggles but is doing well with her skills. And she is continuing to uptrain so she should be fine for L7 next year.

In our case, one of her coaches recommended it. There were discussions among all the coaches whether it was a good idea.

If ur dd has aspirations of ncaa or elite then I think its a good idea for her to talk with the coach to see if your dd could make it happen. Skipping levels is highly individual if your gym doesn't routinely do it for particular levels. It is going to depend on what uptraining she has done and whether she will have time to do more to prepare her for the next level. If she goes to L7 but then has to spend 2 years there perfecting skills, then it makes little sense to have skipped L6. Hope that make sense.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

i know some of the gyms in our area are very comfortable with girls skipping levels, sometime more than one level a year which is fine as long as the gymnast is not struggling, your dd seems to be taking the lower levels by storm so why not challenge her, the question is have you spoken to the coaches? have they commented on pushing her faster?

I would absolutely have her talk to the coach. To go very far discussing it when it might not even be an option would get her hopes up. Also, the coach is the only one who knows whether it's doable for her, what it would entail time/money-wise, and whether he/she is willing to go there. I think coming from dd would be much better because then it would be obvious that *she* is the one motivated to move ahead; it's not that she's being pushed by you.

L4 can be skipped. L6-8 can be scored out of by a talented enough gymnast who then competes the following season. For instance, they score out of L6 in fall and compete 7 in spring. Or compete 7 in spring, score out of 8 in some late meet in May and compete in 9 the next spring. The only reason that can be happen is because of the funkiness in L8 in regards to what level of skills they can work (back twisting on floor, straddle back to HS).

Having the skills.

IMHO,, it really depends on the maturity of the gymnast> Can they handle the jump in skills. You could skip 6 & go to 7 but the gymnast might spend 2 years at 7 perfecting their skills & getting ready for 8. So skipping level 6 really didn't benefit them in the sense of time (spending 2 years at 7) it could actually backfire & cause the gymnast more stress & anxiety. I have witnessed it. So its a decision that doesn't have 1 answer, too many variables

One thing i will be very adament about is DO NOT let your coach move your child up for the sake of the gym, (wanting or needing more gymnasts at a certain level,, playing the numbers game).

One of my DDs skipped a level early on, but it wasn't premeditated by her coaches or her. Basically, they trained her in the skills for the next level, when she mastered those, they continued up-training. When the time came for meet season, they skipped her because she had not only learned, but mastered the skipped level AND the next level's skills. They also considered skipping her ahead again another year because again, after a summer of training she had mastered the next level and gained *some* mastery of the level after that. But because she only had *some* mastery of that following level she did not skip that year and only moved up one level.

My thoughts are that the gymnast should compete at the level where her skills put her. She should enjoy her training, and if the skills come to her without unnatural pushing from the coach or the parent, than she should go for it...but only if she is super confident in the next and following level's skills. I feel bad for gymnasts that are pushed ahead to skip a level and end up performing mediocre skills, when they could have really nailed the level that they skipped. And 10 is not too old for level 5. In some ways it is a great age/level path to be on...you'll have to trust me on that one...

DD had a teammate last year who started competing as a 10 yr. old. Did level 4 last season, then did level 5 for part of this season (until December) and is now competing xCel Platinum until March. The plan is to score out (level 6) the ones competing Platinum right now and move on to level 7. This was totally initiated by the HC because this girl catches on very quickly and can do the skills taught very well. But she seems to be the exception to the rule.

You need to have a conversation with her coach. 10yo isn't too old for her level at all to begin with. Also each level builds on the one before it so she would need to have the skills for the level she wants to skip to before she can move up 2 levels. PrepOp or the new term for that program xCel I've heard is a way some gyms go instead of L6 then on to L7. But your best bet is to talk to the coach to see where she is at. A high score doesn't mean she is ready for a skip even ones in the 38 area.

Level 6 is a hard level, but it's not uncommon for a gymnast, or even whole gyms, to just compete one meet to score out and move along. It sounds like your DD has mastered the level 5 skills which is a good thing in terms of progressing with minimal glitches, but fear is also a big factor as kids get to the upper levels with quite a few of the skills in level 6 being pretty big stumbling blocks for lots of kids. However, if she has been uptraining and has already mastered the level 6 skills and has a good grasp on the level 7 ones, and is likely to get the remainder of them by meet season, I don't personally see a problem with skipping ahead. But I'm sure her personal coach has a better idea of how quickly she picks up skills and how prepared she is, both mentally and physically, for levels 6 and 7. A conversation certainly wouldn't hurt, and like others have said, if your DD initiates it the coach might see her dedication and be willing to think about a plan.
But 10 years old is definitely not "too old" for the compulsory levels, so I wouldn't worry about that too much.
Good luck!

DD skipped a level, she was 8yrs old at the time. It was totally at the suggestion of the coach and I will admit that I thought the coach was totally crazy when I was first approached about it. DD had the skills for both levels and coach decided on her competing the higher of the the two. Worked out fine for her.

I don't know about your gym, but at mine it's our head coaches decision. He takes into consideration other coaches thoughts, but it's always his decision in the end if he thinks you will be able to do it. It's not up to a gymnast and her parents for the level they are at. It's 150% the coaches decision. I personally did two years of level 5 like most girls in my gym and skipped level 7. Did two years of level 7, and am now a level 8 working 9. Like I said, it's up to the coaches not you or your daughter.

I usually don't support skipping levels. Yeah some of the skills at the lower levels seem silly, but it's really beneficial IMO to have the discipline and patience to go through the levels and learn the skills and having really strong basics and a foundation is good. But obviously different girls progress at different levels and it's all up to her and her coach.

On the other hand I scored out of both level 5 and 7 myself. My coach approached me about it because of the way I was progressing. I was really young I think I was 9 when I scored out of 7 so it wasn't a rushing thing. It just was a natural progression for me.

Your DD seems very mature and confident, so if this is really a realistic goal of hers, I'd definitely have her talk to her coach. Good luck!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back