Parents Which coach would you choose? Please help with advice

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

guest301

i have this dilemma. I have a choice of 2 coaches now.
#1 is very very very talented coach. She is good with keeping her group under control. She is awesome gymnastics wise. BUT she has horrible "costomer service" skills. My 5 year old had her on and off for almost 2 years. The coach is amazing as a coach and in fact THE best coach in the gym (skills wise). BUT i have problem with her. My son just learned a new HARD trick and wanted to tell his coach about it. And the coach just gave him a cold shoulder saying "oh! good for YOU...!" without any feelings. Even when he was 4 and just starting gymnastics he was so excited about practicing at home he even made his own special book where he tracked his progress and one day he took the book to show the coach. He was trying to tell her about his book and was trying to give it to her to see it, she wouldnt even take or look inside it. She briefly said "oh! nice..." and walked away. That really made my heard sink seeing that. And this resent "cold shoulder" situation when he learned his very challenging skill (pull over with back hip circle after that) and she would not even acknowledge that as his special big moment. Every time my son shares "big moments" with her she made him (well and me too) feel like crap.
BUT she is an amazing coach.

#2 coach is AMAZING with making you feel welcomed. She is good with making kids feel good about what they do. BUT she may not be as good coaching wise as the first one.

Which would you chose?

At such a young age, Coach No. 2. Such young children need to not only feel good about themselves, but they also need a coach/teacher who can show that they are beyond thrilled with one of their students gets a new skill!!! The coach should be encouraging a love of the sport as well as just getting a new skill. If there isn't that positive reinforcement, what's there to work for?

Thats a tough spot. I think that at his level it should still be fun! While the 1st coach may be more experienced the other coach seems to know how to connect with the younger kids! That would be my pick! My kids thrive on getting positive feedback rather than the cold shoulder. I would be afraid that my kids would start being intimidated by coach #1. That lack of confidence in the coach will translate over into the rest of his gymnastics! Like the old saying...you catch more flies with honey! He will feel encouraged to push with the more positive coaching style! My suggestion would be to go with coach #2.

No brainer. At your son's age I would go with coach #2. If he stays with gymnastics and starts competing there is always time for someone like coach #1.

# 2 for the young gymnast for now. With that said you have to consider what your and your son's ultimate goal would be and which he would benifit most from.

Is he going just for fun and to get a warm fuzzy feeling - then Coach #2
If you are hoping for team some day maybe Coach #1 at some point when he is a little older

Thank you ALL so much!! We had gym this morning with coach #2 and that coach #1 was there as well doing other class. My 5 year old waved at her and she looked at him and didnt even acknowledged him... we never gonna go that coach again!

I'm so happy you made this decision!!! There ARE bad coaches out there, and coaches that are just not right for a particular child. I think too many people still believe that a strict, mean coach is appropriate for these little ones!! NO!!! The child has to LOVE the sport and really want to continue in order to be able to tolerate and handle the difficulty that comes later (if they stick w/the sport). Let us know how things progress for him.

I would choose coach #2 as a parent.

Good choice...coach #2 will grow gymnastically. If your booster club sends coaches to training seminars such as Congress...Regional Camps...Future Stars sessions...be sure to recommend coach #2. Coach #2 will then become coach #3...the good qualities of coach #1 + coach #2.

Without a doubt, coach #2. A kid who is not made to feel welcome at gym and proud of their accomplishments will be switching to soccer in a couple months.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back