What path?

• USAG level 4

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • State stream level 5

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Kcanflip

Proud Parent
Curious on what parents and coaches would recommend in my gymmies situation. We are not at this crossroads yet, but will be in May. My DD will be 12 in early summer. She did USAG through level 3 then we changed gyms and the new gym felt she wasn't competition ready for level 4 USAG so we are doing the state organization competition route for level 4 starting here in January/February. It mirrors USAG but I don't believe the scores obtained count for USAG mobility. My DD started at a late age at a recreational gym before moving to a more competetive gym, and is not a natural. She is strong but struggles with flexibility and form. She has also grown several inches just in the last few months which has been...interesting. She's still average for her age, and skinny and not overly developed which is good. But her her foot size change was major! She also is not a fearless type and beam is her nemesis. So backwalkovers/back handsrpings on beam will be a process with her!

So in May, I imagine our options will be 1) Do level 4 USAG or 2) stay on the path we are on now doing the state organization at level 5 (same time next year) OR Xcel (same time next year). I'm assuming level 5 USAG is not an option as tryouts are in May and they have done little level 5 training to this point and with her competition schedule running through early May, doubt she will be ready. My daughter in all honesty does not have an opinion on this at this point. She's not a very decisive kid when it comes to her gym aspirations. She loves gym but gym stays at the gym for her. She's not one that lives in the gym nor wants to, so we try to stick to 3 days a week during the school year (10.5 hours/week...not optional...she really needs more) but will do 4 days a week (probably 14 hours) over the summer. May continue 4 days (14 hours) into next school year, but I hear 7th grade is a toughie so that may not work with homework and social life. Trying to keep a balance! While she does not have college aspirations, I worry about not at least getting a score at level 4 and level 5 in USAG in case she changes her mind and has a major skill explosion and change in her level of commitment! And also just because I don't want her to feel like she's not capable of doing so! I also worry that by going Xcel and not being required to learn some of the level 5 skills would be a disservice. I see a lot of Xcel routines without kips to cast or without clear hips. But.....I also worry about her age and how long she will stick with it. Right now she has no plans to quit but 12-13 seems to be the magical age of quitting. And I would love to see her get to experience her *own* custom routines...especially on floor before she ever retires from the sport. So feeling anxious in that respect. Seems like that is when gymnastics really gets fun! I guess I feel like we are racing against the clock a bit as I worry she may never get to the fun if we stick with USAG or the state stream.

So for USAG: level level 4 in fall would be age 12 and level 5 next fall would be age 13 and level 6 at age 13 1/2 in spring.

Or, for state stream: level 4 now at age 11 1/2, level 5 next year same time at age 12 1/2 and then following year level 6 at age 13 1/2.

Or, for Xcel route: would do level 4 state stream now at age 11 1/2 and then Xcel (Gold?) at age 12 1/2 next spring.

I am probably WAY overthinking this but just curious on what others think. I will take all input with a grain of salt and not take offense at any crazy gym Mom references. Ha Ha.

It sounds like to me xcel is a good option for your dd. My dd competed JO for 3 years and then moved to xcel last year. She moved because of beam fears. My dd loves xcel. It is a really good program for those who aren't necessarily wanting to compete at the elite level. My dd loves having her routines. She can compete her bigger skills on floor but not stress over beam skills. I will admit i have became an xcel advocate since my dd has had such a good experience.

How is xcel treated at your dds gym? Is it treated like rec? At my dds gym xcel isnt treated any different than JO. Same meets and same practices, the only difference is less hours are required but still available.

It sounds like to me xcel is a good option for your dd. My dd competed JO for 3 years and then moved to xcel last year. She moved because of beam fears. My dd loves xcel. It is a really good program for those who aren't necessarily wanting to compete at the elite level. My dd loves having her routines. She can compete her bigger skills on floor but not stress over beam skills. I will admit i have became an xcel advocate since my dd has had such a good experience.

How is xcel treated at your dds gym? Is it treated like rec? At my dds gym xcel isnt treated any different than JO. Same meets and same practices, the only difference is less hours are required but still available.

Xcel is new to our gym, but from what I can tell, same meets and practices but as you said, less hours required. But still available as well! Thank you for your input! :)

My DD started just ever so slightly older than your dd, but the main difference is that she does live and breathe gymnastics, every minute of every day. She is in Xcel because we didn't have any other options, unfortunately, and I wonder how much of your options are an actual possibility.

If the team streamed your DD out of the JO path are you sure they will allow her to jump back in?

Also, my DD at 12, when she started gymnastics, and now at 13, knew exactly how much commitment for gym she had in her. She wants to be there literally every day, with a fervor. If your DD isn't driven in such a way, then I would think that maybe at her age JO will be rough. She is going against the odds with age and late start and it will take more for her to get to optionals, and higher optionals are going to be tougher even still. Not to mention the time commitment will jump significantly, as will the pressure. I don't know anything about your state league, but from your post it sounds like xcel would be great for your DD- she can continue at her own pace, without upping hours, and can have individualized routines.

Honestly, I am the last person to say a girl shouldn't have a shot at JO, but from your post it sounds like you are far more into gymnastics than your DD, and pushing a preteen/teen who isn't 100% invested in this sport into JO seems like a recipe for a short career.

For what it's worth, she could do skills up to about level 8/9 via the Xcel path, should she get to that.

Best of luck!

Kcanflip -

The telling part about your story deals with the committment (or passion) aspect. Anything beyond compulsories in JO is going to require a high level of dedication/passion.

As for college gym, you need to look at the end and work backwards. Most, if not all, D1/D2 college gymnastics teams want multiple years at level 10. So counting back from her graduation year, you figure out if she can get there from where she is, assuming at least one year per level (more if the beam issues cause delayed progression). Don't forget my first point above - upper optional levels take anywhere from 16-24 hours per week in the gym and the skills get crazy hard (beam being some of the hardest).

I am not familiar with what you are calling the "state stream" so I won't advise on that. From where she is at this point, my first blush would be Xcel, but you need to know what her desires are and where her passion is at.

Good Luck.

Xcel can be a really great place to be for someone at your daughter's age and skill level. If she has fear issues (you mentioned the beam acro skills) then Xcel is great because you can substitute skills in your competition routines while working slowly on the scarier ones. In compulsory you HAVE to get those skills under time pressure, which can be very frustrating and I have seen girls quit over this. Your daughter can always go back to JO and score out of those lower levels if and when she is ready. Of course, I don't know if your gym allows that or how they run their program but some gyms allow it. My DD did a year of xcel at age 10/11 and then went back into JO. She's a slow but steady kind of kid with some fear issues also. I know nothing about your state program like other posters have said but I would vote for Xcel at this point, and you can always re-evaluate the situation later.

Yes, she could jump back into USAG. But honestly the more I think about it, not sure it is really necessary. I think you have all helped me come to terms/find peace with not doing USAG. I agree, Xcel could be a good fit for her. I don't want her to quit over pressure or hours and I believe 4 days a week is required at level 4 USAG. I just love that she is so strong and able to do some pretty fun skills and just want her to have fun and stick with it! I think she might be able to pursue higher level bar and floor skills while working out her beam fears and still having a life outside of gym. And USAG compulsories have not necessarily been her friend due to her form issues. She can get 34's and 35's no problem but really doesn't ever get higher than that. I guess we shall see what this summer brings! The great thing about Xcel is that she *could* work on skills not in the compulsory routines that might be more of a fit for her. Thank you all for your input. Will take more input still though!

Would love to hear more JO to Xcel success stories! I've actually watched some routines on You Tube and enjoyed doing so! I think the competetive side of me was still hanging on to USAG. But it's not about me...it's about her and what is right for her! Just takes you all to help me see that! :rolleyes:

Reactions: sce
I agree with almost everyone that on the surface, it sounds as if Xcel would be a great track for your DD! Less commitment in general, less chance for burning out (since you say she isn't the kind of kid who wants MORE gym), less worry about hitting certain skills since she can customize her routines, less pressure which will be a relief since you are expecting more pressure in school, less risk of her quitting because it's "all encompassing" and she doesn't have time for anything else like school, friends and a social life.
I think for the right gymnast, Xcel can be a wonderful program that "saves" kids who love the sport but don't want the major commitment that goes along with JO. My own gymmie may at some point start looking towards Xcel.

Would love to hear more JO to Xcel success stories! I've actually watched some routines on You Tube and enjoyed doing so! I think the competetive side of me was still hanging on to USAG. But it's not about me...it's about her and what is right for her! Just takes you all to help me see that! :rolleyes:
Both of my gymmies moved from JO to Xcel... OG competed old levels 4-6... struggled in L6 due to coaches leaving, different coaches changing things leading to slight injuries and falls and ending in PTSD. She "quit" for almost 3 months... realized it was "the biggest mistake" of her life and came back to gym - thinking she would have to compete Old L6 with missing skills (she REFUSED to go back down to L5 where she still had all the skills), but found out that Xcel Gold was an option. She had her best (half) season ever... then competed the following year and was the high scorer on her team and was often 1st in the AA. Some of her skills she had lost came back - slowly, but it is a process.

YG competed 2 years of Old L4 and a year of new L3. She is not ready for L4 and didn't want to do another year at L3. One of her floor passes is a FHS-stepout-RO-BHS. She also has a front tuck and a ROBHSBHS that she CAN do. On bars, she doesn't have a kip, but she has a long hang pullover. Beam is her struggle. She is working on consistency on the full turn and her beam HS is 6/10... but her cartwheel is only 1/10.
She has her first real meet Jan 10, but in September, she did a judges critique and got her highest ever bar and floor scores (and she forgot her floor routine- the beauty of Xcel).

I agree that Xcel could be great for your DD... and we have girls in Xcel learning and competing kips and clear hips and flyaways, so it is possible for her to learn the skills.

Reactions: COz
I wanted to add that one the things that makes xcel is great (even though I still don't think it's right long term for my dd) is that a gymnast's events don't all have to be equal in level. In JO, you basically compete the level of your lowest event. For example, my DD can do kips, clear hips, baby Giants on bars and a BWO/BWO and round off on beam- but I was told she would be a level 3/4 in JO (but that she would be better off in rec because of her age) because she didn't have a L5 floor pass. At the time her only back tumbling was a ROBHS. It didn't matter that she had good front tumbling. Or that she actually learned the back tuck soon after in a ten minute session with a good coach, and connected it to her round off all by herself (with supervision) at an open gym, or that she forced herself to get over her fear and do 5 connected back handsprings for "fun" in a gym day camp. She would have been lucky to get to optionals before she graduated based on starting L3 at 13.

I have 2 DDs in Xcel. Both have also done JO. Xcel has been amazing for ODD who struggled with JO. Going from not placing to being a State and Regional Champ. She is doing almost all level 4 skills this year in XS while training some level 5. I have also come to realize that though she could be a decent optional gymnast she does not really have the commitment or passion which is why Xcel is great. She is 10. My YDD is doing XB and has a combo of Level 3 and 4 skills. She may want to do level 4 in the fall. She is also competing T&T. She is the one who lives and breathes gym. She is 8. Sorry for the novel but Xcel is great :)

I have 2 DDs in Xcel. Both have also done JO. Xcel has been amazing for ODD who struggled with JO. Going from not placing to being a State and Regional Champ. She is doing almost all level 4 skills this year in XS while training some level 5. I have also come to realize that though she could be a decent optional gymnast she does not really have the commitment or passion which is why Xcel is great. She is 10. My YDD is doing XB and has a combo of Level 3 and 4 skills. She may want to do level 4 in the fall. She is also competing T&T. She is the one who lives and breathes gym. She is 8. Sorry for the novel but Xcel is great :)

Not placing totally sounds like my daughter. She has the skills typically...has never not had a skill competing JO...but due to her form she is always middle of pack or lower. Every once in a while she would do well with bars which is her strength. It's great to hear how much everyone loves Xcel. I really am thinking it is a viable option. Although her coach today told me she is still pushing her towards level 5 USAG with a level 4 score out meet. I'm not saying anything here nor there yet, as I want her to be pushed skill wise for now. But come May we will know more about which path is most viable. Xcel just seems so fun and so more in line with her ambitions in general though!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back