Coaches Why rope climbs?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My gym puts a lot of emphasis on being able to climb the rope to the top with legs held in a pike or straddle. While I agree that it takes a lot of strength and understand that a gymnast needs to be strong, I don't understand how rope climbs specifically translate into better gymnastics. Obviously the core strength needed to hold the legs up is important but couldn't that also be accomplished in just holding a straddle L or L sit on the ground? Is the pull up motion to get up the rope really helping any skill? We have one coach who is always telling the girls what great bar swingers they'll be if they can get good rope climbs. But isn't most of bars a push against the bar? Just mostly curious. Should I be spending time on something else or are they worth doing a lot of?

I'm no expert on this, but this is just my two cents :) It is beneficial to grip/forearm strength, which is important for bars. Holding a straddle on the floor isn't going to work that. The direction of the hands is different than on a bar doing pull-ups, so it's working different muscle groups that are more difficult to "reach" with other exercises. It strengthens the upper back & shoulders. Even though bars is a push against the bar, the same muscles are used to stabilize the arms & provide the "power" for the push. There is also a cardiovascular side to it. Rope climbs work the endurance necessary to get through bar routines & end them strongly. So, although the motion doesn't directly translate, the strength gained from it definitely does. As for how much time to spend on them, I'm not certain how your practices are structured. During the summer at my gym, we'd have 5-10 (depending on the day) to get done by the end of practice. So if you're waiting in line for a side station or routine, you're on the rope.

The are so many benefits to rope climbs.
1. Hand and wrist strength which prevents injuries and improves grip strength for bars.
2. Upper body pull strength, which is one of the 7 key strength areas in women's gymnastics.
3. It develops the arms, shoulders and back strength
4. Core strength to hold the pike/straddle

I'm no expert on this, but this is just my two cents :) It is beneficial to grip/forearm strength, which is important for bars. Holding a straddle on the floor isn't going to work that. The direction of the hands is different than on a bar doing pull-ups, so it's working different muscle groups that are more difficult to "reach" with other exercises. It strengthens the upper back & shoulders. Even though bars is a push against the bar, the same muscles are used to stabilize the arms & provide the "power" for the push. There is also a cardiovascular side to it. Rope climbs work the endurance necessary to get through bar routines & end them strongly. So, although the motion doesn't directly translate, the strength gained from it definitely does. As for how much time to spend on them, I'm not certain how your practices are structured. During the summer at my gym, we'd have 5-10 (depending on the day) to get done by the end of practice. So if you're waiting in line for a side station or routine, you're on the rope.

you may not be an "expert" but that was pretty damn good. worth at least $100.00 not 2 cents.

ROPE RULES! :)

Haha! Thank you dunno! :)

this was one of the most important points and most often misunderstood by novice coaches:

"Rope climbs work the endurance necessary to get through bar routines & end them strongly."

spot on, baby! :)

Most of my group are up to one rope climb all the way up with legs in a pike or straddle L. This is a big improvement in the past few months. What should the goal be?

Bar Coach; Goal - strong UB's (following the posters above);):D.

Ok poor humor. I have read your thread with curiosity as I have not spoken to other HC's about rope specifically. Best I can ado is offer, humbly, what I execute in the gym.

My goal, gyms goal, has been to use the rope climbs to assist our UB strength and conditioning. UB's has been a weak event for us and our focus on UB strength has been helping. An obvious change has been kips coming from HS on LB that do NOT touch the mat - yea!

I started alternating from our 20 ft rope climb (goal in pike and straddle no touch up and down) to the TOPS Physical abilities testing requirements ( https://usagym.org/docs/Women/TOPs/10physicalabilities.pdf ) this past summer. I had only done the "big climbs." Great challenge to muscle endurance doing the "big climbs." With using the TOPS 6ft and 12 ft mark my gymnasts have learned to have better form and more are able to be successful at the rope climb. We do not do TOPS yet, so others will have to chime in on details and metrix for TOPs standards. We have 3 ropes in a close area and I do love to look over and see 3 gymnasts doing rope climbs with great form and making it look easy. Lots of gymnasts in the air!

My L7-9's can 20 ft climb in pike and straddle pushing it (from sit) pushing it in around 16sec. up and down. On "big climb days they get 2 climbs 1 in straddle and pike during our general conditioning. The same gymnasts can get 2 sets of 5 climbs in pike and straddle on alternate days. The gymnasts enjoy the change during the week. They all have personal records in speed and reps that they keep on a white board nearby.

Not a complete answer, but I hope this helps, SBG -

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back