Women's Team Finals

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Good job to all the teams! That was a fantastic competition and really nailbiting towards the end!
I enjoyed watching the BBC coverage and seeing some great routines from all the countries although they could've fitted in a few more routines where they showed gymnasts sitting around, drinking and fixing their makeup.
Team USA did a great job proving their superiority without coming off not even a little bit arrogant. I was a little heartbroken for team GB who did not have their best day and for the lovely Chinese team and at the same time really happy for the Russians who held it together very well under the pressure. I absolutly fell in love with the Japanese girls and am thrilled about the well deserved 6th place for team Germany in their first team final since 198something. I also love the Dutch and the Brasilian team and their gymnastics (who doesn't?) although we didn't get to see as many routines of them today.
And I especially enjoyed watching this final because I felt like the gymnast were really having a blast just beeing there and giving their best.We rarely see so many smiles in a world stage competition!

You're better than me b/c it makes me spitting mad. The spite was directed not just at her, but at her mother, too. It's incredibly tacky and uncalled for. In my 20 years as a MILspouse, the families I see day-in and day-out have a much deeper understanding of patriotism and service and sacrifice that goes far beyond token gestures. If putting your hand on your heart or slapping a bumper sticker on your car or playing patriotism policeman on the Interwebz is all it takes to be an American, God help us all.
Yeah, I think I was mostly in shock. To watch that performance by the USA women and have your primary response be to pick apart one of the gymnasts behavior during the medal ceremony, to call Gabby crass and insult the parenting of her mother? I am frankly flummoxed by the level of hate.

Good job to all the teams! That was a fantastic competition and really nailbiting towards the end!
I enjoyed watching the BBC coverage and seeing some great routines from all the countries although they could've fitted in a few more routines where they showed gymnasts sitting around, drinking and fixing their makeup.
Team USA did a great job proving their superiority without coming off not even a little bit arrogant. I was a little heartbroken for team GB who did not have their best day and for the lovely Chinese team and at the same time really happy for the Russians who held it together very well under the pressure. I absolutly fell in love with the Japanese girls and am thrilled about the well deserved 6th place for team Germany in their first team final since 198something. I also love the Dutch and the Brasilian team and their gymnastics (who doesn't?) although we didn't get to see as many routines of them today.
And I especially enjoyed watching this final because I felt like the gymnast were really having a blast just beeing there and giving their best.We rarely see so many smiles in a world stage competition!
Lovely sentiments Redford...jealous that you get to watch BBC coverage!

T
It's disrespectful to our country for her to act like this.....she didn't do it when she won the AA in 2012 either...I don't think there's any story to it but if I were Marta , I would have given a tutorial to the team on how one behaves when your national anthem is played, followed with the fact that I expected everyone to comply...
Technically, hand over the heart is for the Pledge of Allegiance. It is nice if they do it for the Anthem... US Code to me reads that words AND music together require it (just me being contrary, I know), but she isn't the only USA athlete not to. It is what it is.

are you serious? these women just won a triumphed gold medal and some people on here keep hating that one woman leads the group, that they stand like this or that during the national anthem and that they bite their medals. seriously? kind of no wonder that trump earns votes over there. this was a wonderful team final and these gymnasts are nothing but amazing and great athletes! please stop being ridiculos and hateful.

I don't put my hand on my heart either. And these girls range from 16-21.... They are kids.....they are not experts at public behaviour. The men are way older and have more experience at behaving more 'acceptable' (I guess, although I don't know what acceptable is)..... I can question every single one of the athletes behavior....lighten up people! The girls were amazing.....Like.....BAM! I was astounded at what they did.....and Phelps, and Ledecky, and Chuso, and etc......I'm not going to sit at home on the couch and 'judge' a single one of these athletes.....

Honestly growing up in the 1960's, we always put her hand over our heart for the pledge, and stood with our hands by our sides for the National Anthem. I think in more recent years it has become expected to put your hand over your heart for the Anthem, but I think it is something that has come around more in the last 30 years or so.

That's what I did too. But either way....I can't believe the judgement is made on who the person is, and how patriotic they are....because of putting your hand on your heart........maybe they didn't cry the sufficient 3 oz. of tears either.......or their eyes didn't bug out equally like Lauries......cmon people...

It is quintessentially American isn't it? We value our freedom above everything..but by god you better show you appreciate that freedom exactly the way we say you should !!!

Those are the words I said to another US friend. The way "you folk down there" talk about your rights and freedoms and then shred someone because they did things a way that you do not like, is truly the oddest thing ever. Gabby looked respectful, what more do you need? I have been to lots of meets in the US, including trials twice, I have seen hands on hearts, hands by sides etc etc.

Tearing a 20 year old to shreds is really not that cool. My oldest DD turns 20 today, honestly even if I was Atilla the Hun and raised her I do not think she should have to bear the burden of guilt for my sins.

Last edited:
Blimey. The brits barely know the words (after the first verse) to our national anthem. I barely even notice where hands are, as longs as they're not waving the v sign or picking their nose.

The "hand over heart" thing to me as a brit is a bit PDA :)). But I would never think that someone who doesn't make such an open affectation doesn't care less about their country/sport/achievement.

Stop hating on Gabby, I don't put my hand over my heart either. I think it's a bizarre weird practice. Has nothing to do with not being patriotic.
That bizarre weird practice was done by her other four teammates. Poor optics considering the level of choreography involved with these girls.

I don't put my hand over my heart during the national anthem either. But I also don't have the privilege of standing on the biggest stage representing my country either with my teammates and for whatever reason being the odd girl out.

Funny how the outraged over the outrage seek to shut off the free expression of the outrage. Quintessentially American.

(Drinking my coffee thinking of my Uncle who I never knew who died near the Battle of the Remagen Bridge mere weeks before the end of WWII. And how it destroyed and killed the Grandfather I never met and made my then 11 year old Mother the soon to be family breadwinner.)

T

Technically, hand over the heart is for the Pledge of Allegiance. It is nice if they do it for the Anthem... US Code to me reads that words AND music together require it (just me being contrary, I know), but she isn't the only USA athlete not to. It is what it is.
Actually not so. Hand over heart during the national anthem for non uniformed military (who salute) is set forth in the U.S. Code. And I'm fairly certain the national team girls are taught to do that, as they are taught exactly what to do on the podium when they medal. Having said that, I just do not think it is necessarily a big deal that one member of our team forgets to do it. It's an emotional moment, the athletes are overwhelmed. I agree let's not worry too much about it or assume intent and let's just celebrate what these five amazing girls did for Team USA and the sport of gymnastics.

"Land of the free" as long as you do exactly what we say when we say :).

You yanks crack me up :)
Not sure exactly what you mean by this. Setting forth appropriate ways to respect our flag and anthem is hardly encroaching on the freedom of expression. They are standards. There is however, no penalty to not following them. Everyone is quite free to say what they think and comment upon one another's behavior. But let's get back to the Olympics, which is what this forum is about.

Mod note- Okay put this thread back on track to team finals chat. Lets have no more mention of flags, hearts, hands or anthems. Cut the Gabby hate too, it is becoming tedious.

Any more "off topic" threads will be deleted.

You're right, of course. It is so freaking hard to stay mum when folks who have no direct connection to the US military spout untruths tho!!

*woosa*

I, for one, am looking forward to seeing all of the ladies impress the world on Thursday. I cannot fathom the hard work they've put in lo these many years, the sacrifices they and their families have made. We live in a region with very limited gym opportunities and I'm hopeful some of the women representing these nations will also get some airtime. Their programs need the boost.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back