Parents Working on her giant

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My dd has been working on her giant for a long time. She finally did one by herself (without a spot) two weeks ago, but then was not allowed to try again by herself until yesterday. She did it again by herself after several tries. I'm so worried she is going to lose it, though, because she has two different bar coaches. One lets her try, the other doesn't. Any advice?

MamaofEnS

how often does she switch of the coaches or do they coach her at the same time? is there an open gym where she can go work on them every once in a while? i honestly dont think she will loose it but you never know what can happen! congrats on her getting her giant!!!!YAY!!

How old is she? Can she talk to the coach that doesn't let her try and find out why?

She works with one coach two days a week, the other a different two days.

She is a young teenager and has already asked why. The coach said he won't let her try because he knows that she already practices with the other coach.

There is more than just giants on bars. It almost sounds like the other coach would like her to work on her other skills and her form (some might be related to giants without actually doing the skill).

I'd say so long as she gets to work on giants regularly with at least one of the coaches and she is progressing, I wouldn't worry about it.

two coaches

Sometimes coaches don't teach things the same way. It might be confusning (and non-productive) for her to be trying to learn giants from two different coaches. She may be better off working with just one, and in fact, may get there soon, even with less practice. Good luck to her!

I agree with NotaMom. I would assume he just wants to emphasize something else. My dd was frustrated when first learning her giant that her coach often wouldn't let her do them and instead was focusing on having her do a lot of cast handstands. She wanted to go straight to the giant, but he saw getting to handstand consistently as the precurser to doing a consistent giant (and avoiding the big handstand deductions). Well now she has the giant consistently and casts to handstand consistently, so I guess he knew what he was doing. :)

I agree with NotaMom. I would assume he just wants to emphasize something else. My dd was frustrated when first learning her giant that her coach often wouldn't let her do them and instead was focusing on having her do a lot of cast handstands. She wanted to go straight to the giant, but he saw getting to handstand consistently as the precurser to doing a consistent giant (and avoiding the big handstand deductions). Well now she has the giant consistently and casts to handstand consistently, so I guess he knew what he was doing. :)

Totally agree with this. Sounds like the coach has a good reason for having her work on other things.

You all make really good points.

Both coaches have her practice other skills, including straddle casts to HS. Although one coach seems to emphasize more on doing the level 6 routine (although her level 6 season ended two months ago), while the other coach doesn't bother with the level 6 routine at all.

I totally agree that the other skills, like her clear hip to HS, is important. She also needs to work on combining her straddle cast to her clear hip. I know she has a lot of work ahead of her.

Thanks again for all of your good advice.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back