Workout hairstyles that won't fall out?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gympocalypse

Gymnast
Do you guys have any recommendations for workout hairstyles? I have medium/long hair that is usually put in a high ponytail/bun with multiple scrunchies, bobby pins, and hairspray. No matter how securely I tighten it, my hair always manages to unravel itself and whip around in my face during practice.

I know you guys probably know how annoying it is to redo your hair in the middle of workout, so do you have any tips? I'm not nearly as girly as I'd like to be, and my abilities with hair are very limited. :( Any help at all is greatly, greatly appreciated, though! :)

I have medium-ish thick hair and mine stays in all practice in a high bun. Put it into ponytail while hair is upside down with tight hair binder (not scrunchie) then put another tight hairbinder in. Then do a loop bun and hold it with a hair binder. I use clips on both sides of my head, and the top and back. I usually wrap a scrunchie around the bun at the end because I just like it:) I also wear a no slip headband....sounds like a lot of work but it stays in...no hairspray or boby pins!

Sent from my SCH-I405 using ChalkBucket mobile app

Yeah, I think the main thing would be to use regular ponytail holders.....not scrunchies. Scrunchies are cute, but don't work that well when it comes to holding the style. They are really more for decoration. My DD has really long hair that is pretty thick. She mostly just wears hers in a ponytail for practice, but when they go to floor, she kind of pulls the end of the ponytail up where the end is also being held by the ponytail holder, so it doesn't get in her way. She will sometimes also wear a headband, but not always.

I just use a high ponytail with a tight hair binder and a tight hair scrunchie also, I also keep a tin of hair slides and clips in my bag, and an extra tight scrunchie.

Sent from my iPad using ChalkBucket mobile app

I don't know what scrunchies you're using but my hair won't stay in without a scrunchie. I normally do high pony with normal hair tie and then a scrunchie

I have to redo my hair so often, it's crazy. I have super thick, long hair that has little hairs by my bangs that aren't long enough to put in the ponytail, so it's hard to not fix my hair every two minutes lol!! I like to French braid the bangs and pull the rest in a ponytail

I use one of those little elastic a first (like for little girls) and only wrap it 2 or 3 times around and then put my hair tie in so it won't slide. I don't know about the whole bun thing but I would suggest using an elastic first!

Thank you all so much for your advice! I will definitely try everything out. :) I goofed earlier when I said I use scrunchies, I meant to say the plain elastic hair ties...or are they the same thing? Oh dear...I'll use the really tight, thin elastics that snap easily instead, since my hair is so thin and escapes the wrath of hair ties easily. I vaguely remember my sister teaching me how to french braid, so I will definitely try that. Headbands are the new bobby pins. Thanks again! Sorry for the crazyness, I'm really sleepy and should probably go rest now lol

If you want to wear a scrunchie, what I do is put in a pony tail holder, and put the scrunchie over it and it stays in good. And as said before, headbands work to. You can keep them in with bobby pins:)

Hi! I have long hair too (about to bellybutton), although mine is quite thin.I found it REALLY irritating at practice, especially when twisting-it would always swing and whack me in the face. Or it would get caught under my hand when I did giants-owch!And, if I tried the half-ponytail, it would just fall out and tangle. Sorry. I will stop my rant now and try to be helpful. I've found 3 hairstyles that really help me, and I am about as girly as the sky is red, so if I can do it- anyone can.
1)Okay tie a ponytail, and make it low-ish. Then, take one of those hair clips that have that metal clasp in the back ( the clasp is like this Horsehair hair clip black with blue design - Old Montana Prison Museums Shop ). Pick up the ponytail and put it against your head, so the ends of it are up, (going over your head and into your face). Use the clip to secure the ponytail to your head a few centimetres above the first elastic. Then, tilt your head back and wrap an elastic around the newly formed, higher-up ponytail. I really hope that makes sense, if not, I will post a picture. It helps to sort of shorten your hair.
2) This one doesn't really shorten, but it helps keep your hair in place and doesn't fall out. I found a random youtube vidoe that explains it pretty well: Make your hair look longer WITHOUT EXTENSIONS ! - YouTube
I know it says "make it look longer", but it's a good hairstyle for practice-just ignore that part.
To modify for gym- If your hair is really long- do 3 sections instead of 2, and instead of the whole bobby -pin thing just use a hair elastic to tie the 2 parts together.
3) This is the last one Gymnastics Hairstyles - Nastia Liukin Inspired French Braid Ponytail - YouTube
This one is kind of tricky, but try it- it really helps, WILL NOT fall out, and is good for meets!
Good Luck! Sorry about the length!

I do a super high McKayla Maroney/Nastia bun using these hair ties:
http://www.soap.com/p/scunci-no-slip-grip-evolution-gel-elastic-hair-ties-158716

I start by making a super high ponytail with one elastic. Then I wrap around a second elastic around the pony, and on the the last wrap, I pull the hair a quarter to half way through. Finally, I tie a scrunchy around the whole thing.

Make sure when you take the hair ties out, that you unravel them instead of just pulling them out.

I hope that made some sense.

29B2B4E0-3653-45E3-B2A1-CE17262A37B8.jpgI do the top of my daughter's hair like this. Then pull the rest back in a ponytail flipped up and ties with a scrunchie. Stays put, and works with long or short hair.

Totally wish there was a "love" button for all of these! They are AMAZING and work so well! I can't wait to see the confused look on my coach's face when she sees that my hair actually looks pretty. :)

My favorite hairstyle that holds my hair up the whole time so I'm able to concentrate and not keep redoing my hair during practice is a french braid. I do all different hairstyles using the french braid. I like to do two french braids and put an elastic in to make it a pigtail then connect both of the pigtails with a scrunchie so the hair doesn't fly in my face. Its also good because doesn't hurt when you do forward rolls, straddle rolls, and backward rolls into plank or handstand. When I do this hairstyle I don't have to fix it at all during workout and even after gymnastics you dont have to redo your hair because it stays in and does not get messy or fall out. Glad i could help you!!!!! :rolleyes:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back