Parents Would this work for kids? Exercise equipment

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

2G1B

Proud Parent
I was searching through the upcoming Amazon lightening deals and came across this one:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...95F9CJAB&pf_rd_i=384082011&pf_rd_p=1673798022

My kids have been asking for a pull up bar and "other things to exercise with at home".

Since I have Amazon prime, the shipping on this would be free and the price seems pretty good. My thought is though that it is possible that it would not work for the size of my kids - like it would be too wide for them to do pretty much any of the exercises.

My kids are DS - 9, DD1 - 9, DD2 - 7. DS is about 52 inches tall and 54 lbs. DD1 is about 53 inches tall and 60 lbs and DD 3 is about 50 inches and 53 lbs.

I don't see why not. They could all use the pull up bar if you put a small stepstool so they could reach. I don't know about the leg lift part with the back and how it would fit for small kids. If nothing else they will grow into it if it does not fit now.

There is a dip station where the distance between the dip handles is 21.5 inches. That's about as wide as I'd like to have them for myself, and I'm pretty wide at the shoulders. There's very few kids I would allow to use that station on the equipment, and those I would allow don't need to do them at home.

My guess is the entire piece of the equipment is built with dimensions suited for adults, and not for kids as small as yours....... or anywhere near their size.

My kids are DS - 9, DD1 - 9, DD2 - 7. DS is about 52 inches tall and 54 lbs. DD1 is about 53 inches tall and 60 lbs and DD 3 is about 50 inches and 53 lbs.

Another thought on the equipment - if it isn't left out in an easy to access place, it might not get much use.

I clicked on the amazon image because we have a pull up bar that is used multiple times a day, some days, by both my little gymnast and my very grown 6'2" teen son.

It's a simple bar that fits across a door opening, maybe $20.00? We installed it in the doorway to our kitchen. Gymnast is constantly doing leg lifts off it as she talks to us in the kitchen. Teen son likes to do pull ups as he walks by. Lots of use because of location!

It could work but honestly would they use it more than a few months. Everyone I know gets home equipment (including myself) for the kids to "practice" at home with and they end up being expensive paperweights or clothes holders. Unless your kids are currently doing a good hour or so conditioning at home now they probably won't all of a sudden get into it more than a few months after the equipment arrives.

Save your money and get them something they are asking for. Let the gymnastics happen at the gym and let home be that place that is a sanctuary from the gymnastics. Let home be that place where they are just kids having fun without gymnastics.

I kind of had the same thoughts as IWC, that the kids aren't the right size for it to work. I had considered it because my DS has begged to have some home exercise equipment for a few year now. He does have a mushroom and the girls have a floor beam - all of that gets regular use and has for a few years now. I am thinking about getting one of the over the door pull up bars - it is on all 3 kids' wish lists.

If it is on all 3 of their wish lists and not expensive, go for it! I got one for me but I don't have enough strength (grip, arms or abs) to use it.

I agree the dimensions don't seem right for your kids - I would worry about safety. Also, would 7 and 9 year olds really want this as their main Christmas gift? I like the idea of a chin-up bar for the kitchen doorway. We have one and it is used all the time because of its location. We also have a mat in the living room that is probably the most-used gift of all time! I will say that the "keep the gym in the gym" works if they are going every day, but when they're just 2-3 days or something, it's great to have the chin-up bar or the mat for stretching, handstands, etc.

Oh, and just so everyone knows that I wouldn't do something like this for their main present - it wouldn't be. Their main present is that we are going to do a Disney cruise to Barcelona, Spain. That and they will each get some toys and/or electronics. :)

I think it will be too wide-my dd was showing off the her uncle and he has a similar item in his home gym and it was too wide for her to use. She's 10. I think a regular chin-up bar is a better investment since they can put their hands where they need them to be and it's not dictated by the size of the equipment.

Talk to their coaches and see what equipment they recommend. If they're too busy to talk to you can ask me for a list of things that are inexpensive and useful.
The best thing about buying stuff like this, as long as it fits and is usable, is that the kids will figure out five different ways to use what they're given.

It's a win-win-win. They have fun, create multiple uses for each item, and get stronger.

I wouldn't do it. Dips can be done on two things pushed together, like a chair or some little floor rails (easy to build with PVC) put up on something. Google PVC parallettes. And put up a pull up bar. Both will be cheap.

Yes a chin up bar is great. this is the one my kids use
http://www.meijer.com/s/iron-gym-xt...id=COmrg9nhkLsCFSUOOgodZXkAYw&kpid=IRONGX-MC4

It just hooks over the molding on a door jam and comes right off easily so its out of the way when not in use. It can also be used for many other exercises on the floor as well. That with a panel mat is really the most they would need assuming the kids want to do conditioning at home. For us the kids do use it for chin ups and leg lifts but most of the time at home time is relaxing from gymnastics.

It may be on their wish lists but I'm sure there are other items on their wish list that isn't gymnastic related too.

Yes a chin up bar is great. this is the one my kids use
http://www.meijer.com/s/iron-gym-xt...id=COmrg9nhkLsCFSUOOgodZXkAYw&kpid=IRONGX-MC4

It just hooks over the molding on a door jam and comes right off easily so its out of the way when not in use. It can also be used for many other exercises on the floor as well. That with a panel mat is really the most they would need assuming the kids want to do conditioning at home. For us the kids do use it for chin ups and leg lifts but most of the time at home time is relaxing from gymnastics.

We have one of those too! DD uses it sometimes for chin ups and leg lifts.

My kids love using exercise equipment, it would be nice if they made some of this stuff for kids. When I was in high school and took weight training this was my favorite piece of equipment.

http://www.amazon.com/Iron-Gym-Tota...TF8&qid=1386051280&sr=1-1&keywords=pullup+bar

Works fine for me.

I used to have something similar to this one and it was pretty sweet. Still the PB handles are probably too wide for a kid. Pretty good chances the kids will figure out some way to topple it. This or the first Power Tower are still overkill. For that price, get a Iron Gym and a set of rings. Ring pushups are pretty good for the little ones besides ring supports.

http://www.amazon.com/Stamina-50-16...TF8&qid=1386051280&sr=1-9&keywords=pullup+bar

The girls use this exact piece of equipment at the gym now. Mostly it is used for chin up/pull ups and leg lifts.

That iron gym can also be hooked to the bottom of the door to hold your feet for sit ups. and can be used on the floor for push ups and the one where the boys hold their legs and body in an "L" shape. This gives you an exercise booklet to do lots of other core and strength exercises on the floor. If this one is too big for your kids then most equipment is going to be too big.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back