WAG Wrists turned out

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So I'm a level 8 gymnast and I have a problem... My coach has compared it to being pigeon toed... But with my wrists... So my wrists turn out on EVERYTHING. I have done it since I was little (I remember my level 4 coach attempting to correct it). It hurts really bad to turn them it and I just can't remember to. I have run out of ideas on how to fix it. My coach is worried that I'm going to injure my elbows really bad. Please help!

I can't tell by your description.

So are you pointing your fingers toward the opposite hand, or are you pointing your fingers out and away from the opposite hand.

I don't see that as a problem. I would be more worried about your elbows if your fingers were facing out and your wrists in. On back tumbling anyway.

If your fingers are turned out just a little, that should be ok. If they point straight out to the side there is more potential for injury and overuse problems. If that's the case you'll eventually want to get them turned at least partway toward the front.

Just keep working at it with your coaches.

I have a gymnast that does this on everything- even handstands where she can clearly see how she is placing her hands/wrists. It makes me cringe as a coach because if I did a bhs that way it seems like it would hurt, but she does not feel anything wrong with it. It's just a continuous process of reminding her and slowly working through it. It's similar to turned in feet in that it's a natural inclination and takes a lot of time and attention to correct. Speaking as someone with turned in feet, it was something I was reminded of all the way through my gym career because it never did come naturally to me.

I have done the same thing since I was little. At my last meet I fell on my punch front and but my arms out down with my hands turned out. Turns out I have a partial tear in a tendon and am out for 6 months. I still have not found a way to fix it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back