Members see FEWER ads

JBS

ChalkBucket Founder
Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Proud Parent
#wst

Check the athletes Instagram posts if you are confused.

If you google you can see the picture without an Instagram/twitter account. Does anyone know if this is being posted in support of Liukin? And what’s up with the chains additions/comments?

My daughter says it is in support of him. She knows some of the people involved and they are supporting him. Her sense from the people she knows who went to The Ranch is very much that they liked him, and that it was quite different than Marta.

Not completely sure -- it was used by some L10s at my kids' gym more as a "we stand with the survivors" kind of thing.

Reactions: sce
She could be wrong. Or maybe the people she meant were misinterpreting the instagram. I thought she said the comments were more on the side of supporting him. This could be like telephone though and I’m spreading rumors. We didn’t know what wst meant till I read it here.

Searching on Instagram it looks like the tag itself is going in two different directions...there are a handful who are reposting pictures of themselves at the Ranch with Valeri. There are also a number who are posting sentiments like this: (I removed the gymnast's name)
  • XXXXXXX#wst
    We stand together as athletes, as humans, as women, as survivors. There is a shift in culture that needs to happens NOW. A shift that will allow future generations of athletes to know that achievement is not synonymous of pain, fear or abuse. #gymnastics #westandtogether #metoo#usag
From my amateur assessment it looks like the young, developmental team are posting the pro-Valeri and the older girls are doing it more as a "Me Too" movement. I could be wrong...

It looks like these things started the movement:
USAG announcing no Jeslo and no National Team camp

lead to:
Margzetta Frasier's Twitter/Instagram Post about USA National team standing together and training hard no matter what is going on, and that the organization may be falling around them, but they still want to compete

Then UCLA/OU's Opening video today:
https://twitter.com/uclagymnastics/status/960283076294189056

I think the people who started it intended it as "we stand with the members of the national team (jr and senior) who are STILL working hard and deserve to be able to continue their gymnastics even as the organization resets." It's supposed to be a "gymnasts stand together despite the adults who can't get themselves together" kind of thing,and I think most survivors would applaud that. They hate Nasser and USAG failed them, but they all love gymnastics. It's like Simone's tweet the other day -- "we're still working here, folks!"

Our L10s combined it with wearing teal ribbons in support of sexual assault survivors. I think they know what message they are sending.

Reactions: sce
Well I think unfortunately for them, USAG is going to be broke really soon. Only the gymnasts with money behind them will be going places.

The LSU verification day is open to those who can pay for their own flights, hotels and food for the coach, gymnast and chaperone.

Having no other information and knowing nothing else, just looking at the photo being posted and reposted on Instagram, along with the tag, I’d assume they are supporting Liukin. I don’t find the message to be clear.

I’m confused by it too but it seems to be in support of Liukin. At least that is my take on it. This is in contrast to the tribute after the OU/UCLA meet today. Did anyone see that?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back