WAG Xcel regionals

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

The region 8 facility was not set up well. It could have been set up MUCH better to use the space more efficiently. The higher scores are really going to cut down on the number of girls going though. Plus, one of the gyms in GA that had really high scores isn't going to do Xcel anymore from what I hear.

We are in region 6. The top 7 from each state, regardless of age are the state team. They compete in one session. Then there are another 60 for the all star session. Each state gets a certain number, based on membership numbers. Last year our state I believe took 34 of the 60 spots. Age did not matter, and there was no cut off score, just the top whatever many kids. I think, but could be wrong, that all scores in our state were above a 37.3. There is really no way of knowing who made it unless you are in the very, very top.

Region 5 is the same way. Super easy to qualify. Low qualifying scores and super high scoring state "MI"for meets including the state meet.
I wish it was tougher in region 1. There are way to many IMO. The qualifying scores need to be raised.
n

I don't think so for JO but it seems so for xcel. I saw some xcel meets with fairly poor routines scoring mid 36s which is well over the qualifying score for regionals.

They raised the qualifying score in Region 8 by a lot this year! So it's possible they may eventually do that in Region 1 too @JMACAZ I was just reading the summer newsletter and now bronze and silver need a 36.5 to qualify, gold/platinum 36. It used to be an entire point lower I believe. I can understand it b/c our regionals this year was way way too big for the facility and sessions ran hours behind, there was a shortage of space and seating etc. So I guess it was raise that score, or only take bids for regionals with very large venues and the ability to run 4 sessions or so at once.

Region 1 was a 33/34 (if I looked on the website right). The idea of qualifying is nice for states (fairly easy to understand), but I like the way region 6 does it. It makes it more "honorable" to go, as it sounds like you really have to be scoring high to go. I can understand why they raised the score, but I don't see why they didn't make it a little higher: 36.5 gold+, 37 silver maybe? Also, I don't see the reason bronze should go... Maybe even silver. Just like level 2 doesn't go.... I think it should be a privilege to make it to regionals.

Any idea why they don't qualify xcel the same as 6/7/8?

No I'm not sure, but it seems to be a lot harder to qualify for regionals for those three levels, even harder than for Levels 9 and 10. We had level 6's and 7's scoring very well and most of them barely missed the cutoffs for regionals, it is very competitive.

Region 1 was a 33/34 (if I looked on the website right). The idea of qualifying is nice for states (fairly easy to understand), but I like the way region 6 does it. It makes it more "honorable" to go, as it sounds like you really have to be scoring high to go. I can understand why they raised the score, but I don't see why they didn't make it a little higher: 36.5 gold+, 37 silver maybe? Also, I don't see the reason bronze should go... Maybe even silver. Just like level 2 doesn't go.... I think it should be a privilege to make it to regionals.

It seemed like it was geared to be a "fun" meet than a prestigious one. (we went for the last two years.) With that being said we really did enjoy it the first year we went in Savannah but this year was just too chaotic. I think the new scores will be pushing it in a different direction now, a little more prestigious. B/c honestly nearly our whole state qualified this year, it was only a small percentage that didn't (not all that qualified went though by any means.) Looking forward to seeing how the changes affect regionals this year (well that's if dd does well and qualifies lol.) I'm guessing the new scores will cut down on numbers quite a bit and if it's still not enough they could possibly change it again next year or go with a percentage like they do for 6, 7, 8.

Region 3 doesn't hold a regional meet for bronze and silver. Gold had to score a 33 at any sanctioned meet and platinum and above had to score a 33 at states to qualify.

No I'm not sure, but it seems to be a lot harder to qualify for regionals for those three levels, even harder than for Levels 9 and 10. We had level 6's and 7's scoring very well and most of them barely missed the cutoffs for regionals, it is very competitive.

Region 8 Xcel meet has the 'state team' which is top 6 and is really a regional championship. The 'all star' sessions are actually more of an invitational meet as you are divided up by gyms, not all the girls by ages and lots of gyms do not go to Regionals. How well your 'all stars' do really is dependent on how hard that particular session ends up being with respect to which gyms end up in that session, just like any big invitational. They simply take registrations until they are full. I was glad to see they increased the score to make it at least a little more challenging to qualify. Level 6 and 7 is much harder to qualify due to the # of sessions allocated to these levels at regionals (it is a percentage, so not a flat score and less than 1/4 to 1/3 of girls qualify.) Level 8 is easier to qualify as there are more level 8 sessions at regionals and less competitors respectively, so almost the top 1/2 of girls qualify. Level 9 and 10 is a score, now raised from 34 to 35, which is much more difficult to attain than at Xcel level.

Region 8 Xcel meet has the 'state team' which is top 6 and is really a regional championship. The 'all star' sessions are actually more of an invitational meet as you are divided up by gyms, not all the girls by ages and lots of gyms do not go to Regionals. How well your 'all stars' do really is dependent on how hard that particular session ends up being with respect to which gyms end up in that session, just like any big invitational. They simply take registrations until they are full. I was glad to see they increased the score to make it at least a little more challenging to qualify. Level 6 and 7 is much harder to qualify due to the # of sessions allocated to these levels at regionals (it is a percentage, so not a flat score and less than 1/4 to 1/3 of girls qualify.) Level 8 is easier to qualify as there are more level 8 sessions at regionals and less competitors respectively, so almost the top 1/2 of girls qualify. Level 9 and 10 is a score, now raised from 34 to 35, which is much more difficult to attain than at Xcel level.

This was not true this year. The girls in all of the all star sessions were divided by age, similar to a state meet.

That said, the meet was a cluster... Kids competing past 10pm, sessions ran way late all weekend, etc. The host gym was poorly prepared to host so many athletes and it showed. Hopefully the R8 committee will be more selective when awarding Regional meets in the future. They had more than enough space to run 3 or even 4 gyms, and could have cut out the Thursday afternoon and evening sessions had they chosen to do so.

In region 6, my state took the top 17 scores regardless of age for platinum. The top 11 of those are state team and the remaining are the all star team. I believe the number they qualify is based on how many kids at state meet, it is a percentage that correlates to the number of athletes in the state. I am pretty sure all region 6 states do it this way. It makes regionals a truly competitive meet and an accomplishment just to qualify.

This was not true this year. The girls in all of the all star sessions were divided by age, similar to a state meet.

That said, the meet was a cluster... Kids competing past 10pm, sessions ran way late all weekend, etc. The host gym was poorly prepared to host so many athletes and it showed. Hopefully the R8 committee will be more selective when awarding Regional meets in the future. They had more than enough space to run 3 or even 4 gyms, and could have cut out the Thursday afternoon and evening sessions had they chosen to do so.

Yep and yep and Amen! My dd has competed in the last two Region 8 Xcel meets in the all star sessions and it was by age both years, she had one other teammate with her the first year and this year she was all by herself lol. And I agree it was adequate space in the center but it seemed they didn't rent out all the space. The year before when it was in Savannah it was a lot smoother IMO. This year it will be hosted by a gym from our state that has hosted multiple state meets and is very experienced at hosting large meets (we attend their meet every year) so I'm hoping this year will be better too.

Yep and yep and Amen! My dd has competed in the last two Region 8 Xcel meets in the all star sessions and it was by age both years, she had one other teammate with her the first year and this year she was all by herself lol. And I agree it was adequate space in the center but it seemed they didn't rent out all the space. The year before when it was in Savannah it was a lot smoother IMO. This year it will be hosted by a gym from our state that has hosted multiple state meets and is very experienced at hosting large meets (we attend their meet every year) so I'm hoping this year will be better too.

I was told that they didn't have more gyms set up because of a lack of ability to secure enough volunteers. Not sure how accurate that is.. But there was even MORE unused space behind the black curtain where they had girls warming up when the sessions ran late.

Thomas always does a good job. This year should be run much more smoothly.

I was told that they didn't have more gyms set up because of a lack of ability to secure enough volunteers. Not sure how accurate that is.. But there was even MORE unused space behind the black curtain where they had girls warming up when the sessions ran late.

Thomas always does a good job. This year should be run much more smoothly.

Oh wow, I didn't realize they didn't have enough volunteers. On the day we went they had already run out of the gift that every gymnast got (I think it was a bag?) so dd didn't get one, they said they were mailing to the gym but we haven't seen it lol.

Yes we always enjoy Thomas' meet every year! I'm hoping our gym puts in a regional bid sometime in the next few years, they have been doing one of the state meets for several years now.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back