Parents Xcel to JO??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

And in case you are wondering, you don't have to spend a whole season at one level. If she were to stay in xcel for bronze, silver, and gold and had the skills to compete at L6, she could score out of L4 and L5 in 1 or 2 meets, then compete L6.

BUT - this all depends on how your gym has their xcel team set up. Many gyms do not allow any crossover from xcel to JO. if you are placed in xcel, it means they do not want you for their jo team. Could be skills, body type, age. Other gyms allow back and forth between the 2 programs. And others don't compete jo at all until L6, preferring to use the xcel program to prepare their gymnasts.

@ gym gal and others. Yes, I think our gym probably falls into the category of no cross-over between programs (very small, selective JO program), and I expect my DD (6 years old) will be placed in Xcel from pre team along with several others. I am not ready to switch gyms, and think DD is probably not ready for JO level 3 anyway (she is missing and/or perfecting several skills). I just wanted to make sure that, if we accepted the Xcel placement for next season, that DD wouldn't be prevented from competing JO level 3 (at a different gym, most likely) the year after -- if that is the path she wants to take. A year in Xcel might (in addition to giving her time to work on level 3 skills) help define her level of commitment to the sport.

Along those lines, to Xcel parents, how many hours per week does your program meet?

[QUOTE="Along those lines, to Xcel parents, how many hours per week does your program meet?[/QUOTE]

Ours has a minimum commitment of 2 hrs for bronze, up to 4 hours. For silver and gold it between 3-6 hours. For platinum and diamond its 9 hours.

@ gym gal and others. Yes, I think our gym probably falls into the category of no cross-over between programs (very small, selective JO program), and I expect my DD (6 years old) will be placed in Xcel from pre team along with several others. I am not ready to switch gyms, and think DD is probably not ready for JO level 3 anyway (she is missing and/or perfecting several skills). I just wanted to make sure that, if we accepted the Xcel placement for next season, that DD wouldn't be prevented from competing JO level 3 (at a different gym, most likely) the year after -- if that is the path she wants to take. A year in Xcel might (in addition to giving her time to work on level 3 skills) help define her level of commitment to the sport.

Along those lines, to Xcel parents, how many hours per week does your program meet?
My DD does 15 hours at Gold, but I don't think that's the norm. Xcel is new to our gym and they are using it instead of compulsories.

CLgym, It would be helpful if you could share your state or at least general region of the country. xcel is treated so differently in various parts of the country. Someone from your area can give you a better idea of what xcel is like in general in your area. That will help you make decisions about switching gyms before/after letting her compete.

Our gym has a very competitive xcel program, so it really does vary by gym. At ours, the bronze kids do all the L3 routines. YDD is a bronze Silver is about a 4/5. The kids have to kip, do a robhsbhs or robhsbt. They also must jump to high bar. ODD is a silver and she is doing a full turn on beam, as well as a bwo. Other gyms we compete against seem to have different expectations. Some of the girls from other gyms just do 1 bhs at silver and do not jump to the high bar. At our gym it is all age dependent. If you are under 7 you go JO. If you are over 7 you do xcel. We had a bunch of L7s switch to xcel this year, and all of them are on the gold team. One of the bronze kids also switched, and she scored out of 4 and is competing 5. My girls go 6 hours a week.

Must start at gold and score out to platinum. No mobility from JO to Xcel either.
Actually, if you competed JO L8, you are NOT allowed to compete Xcel Gold... you MUST start with at LEAST Platinum. There is a "Range of Levels" That can compete the Xcel Divisions if going JO to Xcel... the Scoring out of Gold is for those girls who never competed JO or who did not make it to JO Optionals.

Actually, if you competed JO L8, you are NOT allowed to compete Xcel Gold... you MUST start with at LEAST Platinum. There is a "Range of Levels" That can compete the Xcel Divisions if going JO to Xcel... the Scoring out of Gold is for those girls who never competed JO or who did not make it to JO Optionals.
I stand corrected.:)

@gymgal -- A quick google search suggests that we are located in region 5. Xcel girls at our gym practice 9 hours per week (no more, no less) regardless of level/age. Not sure how competitive the Xcel team is at our gym -- but the highly selective (and small) JO program is quite successful.

I believe region 5 has a more competitive xcel program. We are from region 5 and that is what i have been told. My dd practices 12-15 hours a week for platinum. We dont have a bronze team.

We are in Region 5. We only have Silver and Gold at DD's gym and they practice a minimum of 9 hours, with a max of 12, regardless of age or level. We also do not do the minimum routine requirements. either. Our gym requires the girls to have more in their routines. My DD, who is Gold, could complete her routines at Platinum with just a minor change or two (and improvement of form, lol!) . I would say we've been fairly successful at meets. We did have Bronze last year, but then the gym realized the the pre-team training was very good, and the girls could go right from there to Silver and do fine.

I would agree that Region 5 seems competitive for Xcel. There was only one meet in the last two years where it was obvious that a gym only spent 2 hours per week. It seems most gyms have their gymnasts perform more than the minimum routines.

That being said you only have to score out of level four an level five with one meat so if the kid is an Xcel platinum and wants to move to JO optionals they need to score out one level four meat one level five meet and then can move on to optionals so it can be done in one season.

That being said you only have to score out of level four an level five with one meat so if the kid is an Xcel platinum and wants to move to JO optionals they need to score out one level four meat one level five meet and then can move on to optionals so it can be done in one season.
TECHNICALLY, it could even be done in one meet. I have seen girls score out of both levels in the same meet ... just need to make sure she is READY and that the L4 session is before the L5 session.

TECHNICALLY, it could even be done in one meet. I have seen girls score out of both levels in the same meet ... just need to make sure she is READY and that the L4 session is before the L5 session.
Yes, this is what our gym is doing. HC is having an "in house" meet and the girls who are ready will score out of both 4 and 5 and move on to opitonals.

Yikes, that means remembering both floor and beam routines!

Yikes, that means remembering both floor and beam routines!
Are the routines that different? Dd tested out of both 5/6 a few years ago in the same meet. From what I remember, the routines were very similar, except for the tumbling.

Are the routines that different? Dd tested out of both 5/6 a few years ago in the same meet. From what I remember, the routines were very similar, except for the tumbling.
They are pretty different. Not sure how long ago your dd did so. Maybe the routines were not as different in the last cycle.

The routines are similar once again. And to score out, they only TECHNICALLY need a 31.0. If they HAVE the skills, they will be able to score well on VAULT - at least 8.4. (31.0 - 8.4 = 22.6). Let's allow 2.0 for text and form errors on both beam and floor... so 7.5-8.0 ish each (22.6 -7.5 = 15.1 - 7.5 = 7.6 for Bars and score out is complete).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back