Parents Xcel to JO??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

They are pretty different. Not sure how long ago your dd did so. Maybe the routines were not as different in the last cycle.

Differences between level 4 and 5 floor:

Level 4 faces away from the corner and level 5 faces in, because level 4 does a jump 1/2 turn and level 5 does a jump full turn. Otherwise the poses in that corner are the same.

Different tumbling pass...5 has two front handsprings

Choreo after FHS to the "pops" is the same, then level 4 does a run to a skip, and 5 does a run to a punch front.

Then the choreo is the same again, level 4 does a back extension to lunge and level 5 does it to a kneel...then they go into the same splits section

When standing up from the split section, level 4 just reaches up, and level 5 does a small inward arm circle. A lot of coaches seem to have missed this distinction anyway...

Leap pass can be the same, or level 5 can do a switch leap

Level 5 doesn't have a back walkover, so there is one less step into the cross step, otherwise the same into that corner

Level 5 does a back tuck instead of a second back handspring and has a little more music on their ending poses and don't have to stay on their butt.

Might seem like a lot but it's basically the same exact routine with a few acro changes. That only dance change really is the inward arm circle standing up after the splits, which if you did the same thing for level 4 and 5 there would be a minor text error.

As long as they remember to do a jump full turn, level 5 tumbling passes, go to their knee on back extension, and no back walkover they'd be fine.

That said I'm sure many on here won't be surprised to find out I think it would be absolutely unacceptable to even consider skipped a level when scoring low 8s and mid 7s. Nope nope nope.

That said I'm sure many on here won't be surprised to find out I think it would be absolutely unacceptable to even consider skipped a level when scoring low 8s and mid 7s. Nope nope nope.
I think spending a season at a level and getting those scores shows a lack of proficiency. I think moving through a level, and being able to score those scores with very little practice on the routines is quite different. If the gymnast has proper technique on the skills and leaps and can passibly do the dance, then moving through the level isn't necessarily bad.

I think spending a season at a level and getting those scores shows a lack of proficiency. I think moving through a level, and being able to score those scores with very little practice on the routines is quite different. If the gymnast has proper technique on the skills and leaps and can passibly do the dance, then moving through the level isn't necessarily bad.

We scored kids out this year and there were no 7s, mostly 9s and a few high 8s. That is what I would expect of kids ready to score out. But that's just my opinion, like I said I'm sure many on here won't be surprised to hear it :) The biggest predictor in scores is the major elements. Therefore, low scores = poor technique on major elements. This would be a problem for me.

Exactly what sce said. in dd's case, she came from prep-op/xcel. She learned old 5/6 routines in the summer after her silver season and scored out of both before moving on to platinum. At the time, they had to score out of 5 before moving to gold - this was a state requirement, before the national xcel rules went into effect. And to go to 7 the next year, she would have had to score out of 6. Since the routines were so similar, she just did them both together.

Exactly what sce said. in dd's case, she came from prep-op/xcel. She learned old 5/6 routines in the summer after her silver season and scored out of both before moving on to platinum. At the time, they had to score out of 5 before moving to gold - this was a state requirement, before the national xcel rules went into effect. And to go to 7 the next year, she would have had to score out of 6. Since the routines were so similar, she just did them both together.

I have no problem with scoring out, nor do I think it would be "hard" if the child has the major elements with good technique. In that case, I think it would be extremely easy. I don't teach routines until a month before the first meet so I don't consider the summer to be a small amount of time to practice the routines. Just my opinion. The original post she responded to was me saying that I don't think it would be very hard and the routines ARE exactly the same minus major elements (in contrast to her post that the routines are very different).

...just picturing the look on my Xcel Gold's face when your L8 walks in to "try out" for her team lol!

Exactly. There really wouldn't be a purpose to competing Xcel once an athlete reaches level 8. It's more of an alternate route to JO levels 1-6, although some girls seem to compete in Xcel Platinum until they are strong enough for 7. That's why Diamond is so small, because most of those girls are competing level 7 and beyond.

I'm sure many on here won't be surprised to find out I think it would be absolutely unacceptable to even consider skipped a level when scoring low 8s and mid 7s. Nope nope nope.
I agree, but was demonstrating how "easy" it COULD be for a gym that required the minimum to score out.

Ok I skimmed through this thread because it was way to much to read. I just want you to know I know of 2 gymnasts personally who were X-cel gymnasts ( I actually thought it was called IGC) but transitioned into L4, both went on to become very successful optional gymnasts. They both score high and are continuing to do well. I guess the main idea here is if you are going to make that switch, do it as early as possible.

Ok I skimmed through this thread because it was way to much to read. I just want you to know I know of 2 gymnasts personally who were X-cel gymnasts ( I actually thought it was called IGC) but transitioned into L4, both went on to become very successful optional gymnasts. They both score high and are continuing to do well. I guess the main idea here is if you are going to make that switch, do it as early as possible.

I agree with your sentiment. IGC and xcel are two separate programs. At the gym where my DDs started they competed IGC and those girls trained between 12-19.5 hours a week, compared to the 6 hours my DD trained on xcel. Those girls also competed usag optionals, and I can't think of a reason it wouldn't have been simple for them to switch exclusively to JO.

I agree with your sentiment. IGC and xcel are two separate programs. At the gym where my DDs started they competed IGC and those girls trained between 12-19.5 hours a week, compared to the 6 hours my DD trained on xcel. Those girls also competed usag optionals, and I can't think of a reason it wouldn't have been simple for them to switch exclusively to JO.
I believe IGC changed their rule last summer that they can't do both anymore? I could be wrong!

I have heard that a number of times, about the change this year, but still know girls doing both. Although people break all kinds of rules or rules are just guidelines, etc. (thinking about the L7s doing gold here). I don't know the specifics of the why/how since our new area has no IGC gyms for hours north or south.

I have heard that a number of times, about the change this year, but still know girls doing both. Although people break all kinds of rules or rules are just guidelines, etc. (thinking about the L7s doing gold here). I don't know the specifics of the why/how since our new area has no IGC gyms for hours north or south.
Right?! And the thread comes full circle... Lol. I know our gym was going to do both, and that is what HC told me. Who knows?!

Yes, you use to be able to do both IGC and USAG in the same gym. No anymore, its one or the other. Xcel is part if USAG.

Yes, you use to be able to do both IGC and USAG in the same gym. No anymore, its one or the other. Xcel is part if USAG.

This last year we did all three, JO, IGC and Xcel. This year, just JO and Xcel

Reactions: sce
What exactly is Xcel then? We have always been part of the JO program so I mean no disrespect in asking the question.

What exactly is Xcel then? We have always been part of the JO program so I mean no disrespect in asking the question.
JO and Xcel are both USAG. USAIGC is a completely different organization that has nothing to do with USAG. I believe Xcel was kind of USAG's answer to USAIGC? It is supposed to be for kids who don't want to/can't put in the hours/commitment as JO, but as you can see has turned into a program that is being used a few different ways. In some areas, Xcel is very competitive and in others it's bascially rec. We are using it instead of compulsories.

At our gym they use Xcel the way it was intended. A program that does not require the amount of hours and the money commitment. But for girls who want to compete. I personally would argue having a strong foundation on the fundamentals is the best way to get to your goals.

Xcel girls don't train nearly as many hours as our optional teams. I would assume going from 6 hrs to 15 would be a shock and would probably lead to injuries and burnout. But I have been wrong before.

I know every gym is different. Just stating what ours does.

At our gym xcel is for the older girls. Ages 7 and under go JO. If you have not been placed on pre team by 5/6 your chances of doing JO are pretty slim. Xcel kids are 8 and older. Don't even think about JO if you have not completed L4 and done well by the time you are 8. With that beings aid, xcel is very competitive at our gym. My bronze DD is doing L3 routines for pretty much everything. My silver DD is doing L5 skills - she competes a bwo and full turn on beam, with a bt dismount. Her floor includes a robhsbt and a fhsfhs. Bars she kips on both bars, does a squat on - but silver can not do a fly away. They all have it, but use a tap swing dismount. At least that is what I think it is called. There is not a lot of movement between the two tracks at our gym. Last year one of the bronze kids moved over to JO, scored out of L4 in 1 meet and competed L5. There was a L6 who moved to gold.

At our gym xcel is for the older girls. Ages 7 and under go JO. If you have not been placed on pre team by 5/6 your chances of doing JO are pretty slim. Xcel kids are 8 and older. Don't even think about JO if you have not completed L4 and done well by the time you are 8. With that beings aid, xcel is very competitive at our gym. My bronze DD is doing L3 routines for pretty much everything. My silver DD is doing L5 skills - she competes a bwo and full turn on beam, with a bt dismount. Her floor includes a robhsbt and a fhsfhs. Bars she kips on both bars, does a squat on - but silver can not do a fly away. They all have it, but use a tap swing dismount. At least that is what I think it is called. There is not a lot of movement between the two tracks at our gym. Last year one of the bronze kids moved over to JO, scored out of L4 in 1 meet and competed L5. There was a L6 who moved to gold.
Wow. Those silvers would be gold here for sure!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back