Anon Xcel to Optional Progression Question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

A

Anonymous (add9)

Question for gyms who compete Xcel for compulsory levels and DP Levels 6-10 for optional. How does a gymnast progress from Xcel Gold to Level 6? Do they have to score out doing DP Level 4 & 5 bar/beam/floor routines or can they score out using Xcel routines consisting of required skills? Are they competing multiple routines over multiple seasons? For context my child competed JO Lvl 3, switched gyms, Xcel Silver, now Xcel Gold. Our gym tends to take a "just trust us" approach when it comes to parent communication so just looking for some help getting a better understanding of what to expect. Thank you!

Question for gyms who compete Xcel for compulsory levels and DP Levels 6-10 for optional. How does a gymnast progress from Xcel Gold to Level 6? Do they have to score out doing DP Level 4 & 5 bar/beam/floor routines or can they score out using Xcel routines consisting of required skills? Are they competing multiple routines over multiple seasons? For context my child competed JO Lvl 3, switched gyms, Xcel Silver, now Xcel Gold. Our gym tends to take a "just trust us" approach when it comes to parent communication so just looking for some help getting a better understanding of what to expect. Thank you!
There are two (technically, now 3) possible paths to level 6.
1. If the gymnast is at least 12 years old, the coach can submit video of her doing the needed skills for Level 6. Some coaches choose to use video of routines competed at Gold or Platinum for this option.
2. The gymnast can score out of Level 4 and Level 5 and move on to Level 6.
3. The gymnast can compete 2x at Level 4, scoring at least 36.0 each time.

Yes - we used to be at a gym that used Xcel in place of compulsory. My daughter did Xcel Silver, Xcel Gold, then scored out of L4 and was training L6 while she worked on the L5 routines for scoring out only. I would say that skill wise, Xcel Gold prepared her for L6. BUT - we changed gyms to a more competitive gym and she was nowhere near ready for their L6 team due to their significant up skilling. Our new gym doesn't use Xcel in place of compulsory and it shows. So all that to say, yes, you can score out of L4/L5 if you're a strong Gold but I don't know that the form/technique is the same as going through compulsory. Just my two cents.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back