WAG Xcel to Optional

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

Kate_Milly

Gymnast
Reaction score
I competed Xcel Gold last season and now I want to go level 6. I am pretty sure other girls in my gym have done it before, but my coach is saying that its not allowed because I don't think she wants me to leave. I really hate Xcel because its not going to get you very far and I really want to be a college gymnast. I am thirteen years old, and very dedicated to this sport. I just want more supportive coaches and coaches who spot more which is what you also get by becoming an optional. I feel like with more practice, better coaches, and more structure, I could really go places. Right now I have a cast handstand and my coach doesn't help me connect it with a kip (for example). She just doesn't help me much and I don't think Xcel is the right place for me.

If your coaches aren't supportive of you moving, you won't. I recommend trialing at other gyms to get their opinion. At 13, you would be eligible to petition to level 6 without having to score out of compulsories.

Even as a 13 year old level 6, it really depends on what you mean by college gymnastics as well in terms of realistic goals. Successful NCAA gymnasts typically have multiple years of level 10, which is just not very likely to happen for you at this point. But club teams can be a wonderful option.

Sounds like you're not happy at your current gym. I agree you may be better off looking at other gyms. Are there any in the area?

I also agree NCAA isn't likely based on what I generally see here, but club can be a good option.

This is a little disappointing. But maybe club might be a good idea. I will also look into other gyms and get their opinions as well. Thanks for the advice!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

The Best Of All Time: Layout Jaeger

UPDATE: The Liukin Club

Back