WAG 2017 Las Vegas invitational

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Level 9 and 10 are JO levels and are completely separate from HOPEs. My daughter is competing Level 10 and competes in the sessions for HOPEs. They are separate. If they are competing as a level 9 and qualify/compete HOPEs, that does not make them compete as a level 10. Does that make sense?

Level 9 and 10 are JO levels and are completely separate from HOPEs. My daughter is competing Level 10 and competes in the sessions for HOPEs. They are separate. If they are competing as a level 9 and qualify/compete HOPEs, that does not make them compete as a level 10. Does that make sense?

they are all level 10s now - so they can compete in both level 10 meets and HOPEs meets? what about the ones that qualify for Jr Elite - can they do Jr Elite meets and level 10 State/Regional/National meets?

What she is saying is just because you qualify for hopes doesn't mean you can do lvl 10. But yes, you can compete level 10 AND do Hopes. It is only when you truly qualify for the junior elite world that you say goodbye to J.O.

What she is saying is just because you qualify for hopes doesn't mean you can do lvl 10. But yes, you can compete level 10 AND do Hopes. It is only when you truly qualify for the junior elite world that you say goodbye to J.O.

Just to add this is because USA gymnastics very clearly states on their website and in all their literature that they do not consider HOPES to be elite. HOPES is HOPES and elite is elite.

You can qualify elite from 10 up by entering as a junior elite and gaining the junior elite score. 2005 born Konnor Mcclain has just done this I believe.

Hopes is a sort of 'toe in the water' for girls aged 10/11 and 12/13 which they can use as a half way house while developing elite skills and still competing level 9 or 10. This gives them great competition experience as there aren't many Hopes meets. Some clubs prefer to wait and compete JO levels until their athletes can go straight in at Junior Elite but the skills can be quite different and the scoring and deductions are very different. Valeri has stated he wants to make the junior ranks much bigger than at present so I think to facilitate this we might see an increase in girls at TOPS, DIC and Dev camps and maybe an increase in the HOPEs ranks and HOPEs competitions. Encouraging more HOpes meets would increase the pool of HOPEs athletes which feed into junior ranks.

11 (from what I've been told)
Makes sense since that's pretty much the middle of the age range for HOPES

I also learned recently that you can essentially "double dip" in HOPES and TOPS as a 10 year old, we have at least one girl at our gym who is doing this....she's an amazing gymnast as well, it's exciting to watch her journey

Makes sense since that's pretty much the middle of the age range for HOPES

I also learned recently that you can essentially "double dip" in HOPES and TOPS as a 10 year old, we have at least one girl at our gym who is doing this....she's an amazing gymnast as well, it's exciting to watch her journey
It is exciting! I'm enjoying following the journeys of some gymnasts we compete against. The kid who usually wins Puma Jr.'s division made the Developmental Invite team. I honestly think our gym is the strongest within reasonable driving for us, but those TOPS/HOPES kids from a couple gyms an hour &1/2 from us are just a whole other level.

Here is the link to the USAG website results from the meet. There are a few girls in the US that I am following and was looking everywhere for the results and just happened upon them.

https://usagym.org/pages/women/events/zonequalifiers.html

If you scroll down the the head 'national qualifiers' it is the first meet and has each age group/division listed separately [emoji16]
They only went up today, I looked there yesterday. They should just put them up on meetscoresonline like all the others for the weekend. It is as though they are holding them for a while for some odd reason.

They only went up today, I looked there yesterday. They should just put them up on meetscoresonline like all the others for the weekend. It is as though they are holding them for a while for some odd reason.

maybe they like to double check they are correct first .

Brestyan's (MA) & Myrtle Beach also posted their elite qualifier (compulsory) scores in a different format/separate/later than the rest of the sessions...so odd!!!

is there usually pretty good correlation between Hopes 12/13 scores and recent level 10 scores? I notice some girls qualifying the Classics in Hopes 12/13 that hadn't done that great in recent level 10 meets

is there usually pretty good correlation between Hopes 12/13 scores and recent level 10 scores? I notice some girls qualifying the Classics in Hopes 12/13 that hadn't done that great in recent level 10 meets
Sometimes the HOPEs kids use JO meets as an opportunity to try out new skills in preparation for the elite world. So they throw bigger skills which can result in more falls and lower scores to gain experience.

Is there ever good correlation between any scores? You just never can tell from looking at the scores. The gymnast could have had an uncharacteristic good/bad day. The routines are different. The judges are different. Way too many variables.

I would say it's safe to say that a gymnast scoring 12's in 3 events, then say oh, 8.7-ish on bars, probably struggles on that event AND had a bad day.

From the sessions I watched, scores below a 9 was just short of a disaster of a routine, scores of 9.1-11.0ish usually reflected a fall (or two or three), scores of 11.5-12.0 for routines that weren't quite polished, 12.1-12.9 for a decent routine, scores 13.0+ was an awesome set! Of course, this is just for HOPES sessions.

Is there ever good correlation between any scores? You just never can tell from looking at the scores. The gymnast could have had an uncharacteristic good/bad day. The routines are different. The judges are different. Way too many variables.

I would say it's safe to say that a gymnast scoring 12's in 3 events, then say oh, 8.7-ish on bars, probably struggles on that event AND had a bad day.

From the sessions I watched, scores below a 9 was just short of a disaster of a routine, scores of 9.1-11.0ish usually reflected a fall (or two or three), scores of 11.5-12.0 for routines that weren't quite polished, 12.1-12.9 for a decent routine, scores 13.0+ was an awesome set! Of course, this is just for HOPES sessions.

The routines and judging are THAT different?? so a JO National AA might not do well in 12/13 hopes or Jr Elite?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back