back handspring

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I am having serious trouble with my standing back handspring, and beam and floor. I always jump up instead of back, can't keep my arms straight and don't have enough spring. I know it would be better if I jumped backwards but I can't. I know it helps if you sit back first but when I do I always fall over before I get the chance to jump. Any advice? This is killing me!

JUst when you think you will fall on your butt is the time to push/jump back. Push all the way through to your toes. DO not let your chest drop onto your knees before you sit back. Make sure your arms are by your ears all the way through the skill.

BUT, always make sure you have a coach spot you when learning this skill. Breaking your neck is NOT good.

If you have been working for 4 years on this skills, you might need to try it with a different coach. The skill can be broken down into parts and worked until you get the feel of each part, only then would I glue all the bits together.

Think of sitting down in a chair and falling backwards (so sort of squat and lean backwards, if that makes any sense at all lol) and it will help you get back into the habit of going backwards

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back