WAG Back tuck help!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Okay I have been practicing my back tuck lately and just like my front tuck, I'm having a really hard time jumping high enough an having enough rotation at the same time. If I just high enough and almost don't rotate at all but if I do turn, by head is pretty low. All the exercises I've done, I'm doing it right it just when it comes to the real thing, it just doesn't work! If anybody has any tips for me or like exercises I should do, do not hesitate to let me know!!

Take a big stack of mats or a resi, and jump straight up backwards and land on your back on the mat, with your feet almost in a candle shape. Is it a standing back tuck or from a RO BHS?

Take a big stack of mats or a resi, and jump straight up backwards and land on your back on the mat, with your feet almost in a candle shape. Is it a standing back tuck or from a RO BHS?
Do this ^^ and try using a springboard (jumping off/practicing setting). Also ask your coaches to spot you so you get the feel of doing it the right way. :)

My coach is already spotting me and good thing he does because I would probably hurt myself! I understand how this exercise will help me get height but what about rotation?

If I just high enough and almost don't rotate at all but if I do turn, by head is pretty low. !

Seems to me like you are not using your core to initiate the rotation, but instead rotating by throwing your head back. Hard to tell without video, though.

I think I might throw my head back. So what exercises should I do to learn how to use my core to initiate the rotation?

To learn the core action......... Use stall bars to do tucked leg lifts. Take care to keep your heels from tucking in towards your butt by keeping your knees bent at 90 degrees, and concentrate on using the middle and lower sets of abdominal muscles to roll your hips out from underneath your ribs.

When you're being spotted, and only after you've discussed this with your coach........

You probably swing your arms upward as you jump into the set, and that's ok. Try to swing your arms up and back while you jump into the set. Swing them back hard that they stretch your shoulders, ribs, stomach, and hips.....and the do the core action. If done just half right, and followed through by maintaining the core movement effort through out the salto, a back tuck will happen.....it's just that simple.

The hard part? Believing it's going to work, concentrating on the correct motions while you're beginning to tip backwards, and continuing until you land.

Get a stack of mats with a wedge on top about the height of the center of your back. (maybe a little higher). Jump up and onto the top of the wedge then pull your tuck over into a backward roll. This should help you feel where the pull in your core comes from the generate the rotation as well as give you a feel for the jump height. When you are jumping, make sure you are sending the center of your chest up.

if your technique id optimal, simply get stronger abs and legs.

hanging leg lifts and weighted squats or lunges, especially barbell squat jumps

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back