WAG Biles is out ....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

What (possibly) triggered her today may not have during team qualifying - or maybe she was fighting through it then and realized she just couldn't today. We don't know what we don't know.

Either way, in my opinion, everyone did their best and I'm immensely happy for the team. "Disappointment" is very subjective. Not trying to sound harsh, but I would hope the alternates realized that there might have been a chance they would not actually get to compete, depending on circumstances.
What are the olympic rules? At what point could an alternate have subbed in for Simone? Could she have withdrawn before Team Finals and an alternate have gone in instead of her, or would it have been too late at that point?

What are the olympic rules? At what point could an alternate have subbed in for Simone? Could she have withdrawn before Team Finals and an alternate have gone in instead of her, or would it have been too late at that point?
I honestly don't know, but hopefully others can chime in. Timing might have been a factor.

"I'm going to focus on my well-being. I am more than just a gymnast."
-Simone Biles

This is the most important takeaway from the entire Olympics imo. Athletes should always prioritize their physical and mental wellbeing over the sport. And if the GOAT can prioritize her health at the most important meet in the world, then every gymnast at every level can and should do the same.

EDIT: And even more importantly, every coach should be supportive of any athlete who makes such a decision.

Last edited:
"I'm going to focus on my well-being. I am more than just a gymnast."
-Simone Biles

This is the most important takeaway from the entire Olympics imo. Athletes should always prioritize their physical and mental wellbeing over the sport. And if the GOAT can prioritize her health at the most important meet in the world, then every gymnast at every level can and should do the same.

EDIT: And even more importantly, every coach should be supportive of any athlete who makes such a decision.

Isn't this what we have been asking for for the past x many years? Empower the athletes. Athletes over medals. And it was honored. So proud of her!

None of the alternates could have been subbed in for Simone after the start of qualifications.

Not 100% on this, so please correct me if I'm wrong: I believe that Jade or Mykayla could have been subbed for Simone prior to the start of team finals, but could not be once the final had begun. However, if one of them had been subbed, Simone would have been completely out of the Olympics--no finals. If it that kind of subbing had the same rules as the alternate procedures, that also means she would have had her Olympic credentials revoked and had to leave the country.

I'm calling this for 2024... spoilers won't exist anymore. Everyone that really cares will find a way to watch live.
- I don't have cable and won't get it just for the olympics
- I'd like to have a DTV antenna for the olympics - in fact I bought one before just for this purpose. But since I'm in a valley it was unreliable and useless.

Even people with cable may not be able to watch live depending on their time zone and work schedule. People have jobs and lives. They may want to come onto the forum briefly before watching the NBC broadcast. Protecting people from spoilers at least for one day through the end of their local nightly broadcast is basic courtesy. Why am I not surprised you aren't interested in that.

Simone’s issue was literally all over the Internet today. It was absolutely unavoidable, it was on TV, on the news, on social media, on cnn, on apple news feed, on articles in my email. I don’t know how anyone could have gotten to this evening without seeing it.

Simone’s issue was literally all over the Internet today. It was absolutely unavoidable, it was on TV, on the news, on social media, on cnn, on apple news feed, on articles in my email. I don’t know how anyone could have gotten to this evening without seeing it.
I could have avoided it, if I hadn't logged into to Facebook. That isn't the point. This isn't just about one media-saturating event. He's saying ALL spoilers will be allowed, and people can watch the events live or get bent. That's not OK. Again, it's common courtesy to take reasonable methods to prevent spoilers, like waiting 24 hours so people can watch their local broadcasts.

"Welcome to the future" - I thought we wanted a future where people's individual choice mattered. Where respecting others mattered. You're saying, no, I don't respect others, and if you don't like it don't come here. That's exactly what you're saying by taking that position.

Even people with cable may not be able to watch live depending on their time zone and work schedule. People have jobs and lives. They may want to come onto the forum briefly before watching the NBC broadcast. Protecting people from spoilers at least for one day through the end of their local nightly broadcast is basic courtesy. Why am I not surprised you aren't interested in that.
Are you really blaming the Chalkbucket for spoiling the meet?!? If you don’t want spoilers just stay off all news sites and social media.

Are you really blaming the Chalkbucket for spoiling the meet?!? If you don’t want spoilers just stay off all news sites and social media.
Why does the spoiler tag exist?

And no, chalkbucket didn't spoil anything for me in this case. I knew not to come here for that reason, because I know people have no respect for others. I just find it sad for an admin to champion that.

You're saying, no, I don't respect others, and if you don't like it don't come here.
I'm a terrible moderator... the worst... I'm a jerk. I started a forum because I like to argue... and to help everyone see through everyone else's eyes... myself being the primary one that needs to see other views.

Don't think of me as the Owner / Admin / Founder... this site has become it's own self. No single person can contain this place... it's a community... and you are part of it.

I'd honestly love to have a beer with you someday. 1978 was a good year... I was born.

"Welcome to the future" - I thought we wanted a future where people's individual choice mattered. Where respecting others mattered. You're saying, no, I don't respect others, and if you don't like it don't come here. That's exactly what you're saying by taking that position.
This is an unrealistic expectation of not just this site but all other discussion boards. You are new here…take a step back and read the room. Online forums are another social environment that have both written and unwritten rules. No one likes passive aggression in posts. If you don’t want spoilers, don’t participate until afterwards. This is an at will group.

@Ken1978 ChalkBucket will totally not spoil anything with our user generated content forum of people posting whatever they want. We'll let everyone talk instantly on Facebook & Twitter instead... then ChalkBucket will cease to exist.

Really? Come on? While you are struggling to get TV... half of corporate America will be sitting at work watching the Olympics on their phone.

Why does the spoiler tag exist?

And no, chalkbucket didn't spoil anything for me in this case. I knew not to come here for that reason, because I know people have no respect for others. I just find it sad for an admin to champion that.
Then why complain at all if you already knew what happened? It comes across as having an ax to grind. Instead read the room and consider the virtual faux-pas you are committing in this post and others.

I'm calling this for 2024... spoilers won't exist anymore. Everyone that really cares will find a way to watch live.
We have tried for years to extend the "basic courtesy" with spoilers. I didn't say... "ChalkBucket wants to spoil everyone's excitement of watching the competition." I said they won't exist anymore... the world is instant now.

ChalkBucket has to modernize or it will just be eaten by Facebook... and that won't happen.

This is a good site with good information and good people. It's fun. And again... @Ken1978... you are part of all of this fun.

What bothers me is the attitude. 'Virtual faux-pas' -- once again by having a differing opinion. If you choose to have spoilers all over your forum, that's your choice. I'm with that, I get it. Am I stuck in the past - perhaps. I don't like social media, I don't like spoilers, and I continue to feel everyone who immediately spoils sporting events has no respect for others. But the issue is really the attitude. That when I say, hey I think maybe it's respectful to have spoiler tags, I'm once again marginalized and talked to like I'm an ogre just for having a differing opinion.

And I don't agree with the scenario that you think your forum will lose relevance by protecting people from spoilers. I'd say it's the exact opposite. Twitter and all that other crap will have the spoilers. Everyone knows it. So, people who might want to avoid them, would have a place they could safely chat without worrying about being spoiled. Doesn't that make any sense at least? People who DO want spoilers could still go to the spoiler section. I've seen that on other forums.

TBH I don't care that much. I'll tell you what bothers me in terms of spoilers. I used to subscribe to Icenetwork when it existed. All I wanted was to be able to watch the events without having everything spoiled. Probably not even half the time was I able to manage that, and I did this by squinting my eyes really hard, having my hand blocking most of the monitor, and trying to somehow navigate to the short program and then free skate links for a given event, somehow blocking out my vision from all the spoiler-laden links of individual's performances. It is absolutely RIDICULOUS that I had to do that for a subscription service that I was paying for. That they gave me NO option to simply have a login path I could take which would be spoiler-free. A simple, html text page linking to the short programs and free skates when they became available. Maybe that constant aggravating experience has made me even more sensitive to the subject.

NBC and Peacock are doing the same thing also. I'm not going to be up at 6AM to watch these live from Japan. So I just don't know how that makes sense. I shouldn't have to wreck my sleep schedule to avoid spoilers.

In my experience, sports have always been fair game for "spoilers." Major sporting events are not the latest box-office hit, they're current events treated like news stories. This is especially true with big international events like the Olympics where the whole world is watching from every time zone and part of the appeal is how universal it feels. It's a worldwide connection that we rarely get outside of tragic events. As much as I've whined about the 2am and 5:30am start times here, there's something exciting about staying up late or getting up early just to watch a long-awaited competition while other fans do the same all over.

I know we live in an on-demand culture where we expect to be able to mold everything to our own personal schedules, but this is one of those few things left that we need to be willing to put some effort into if we want to get the full experience. That can either be putting yourself on media blackout or finding a way to watch live.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back